Login

russian armor

Looking for Ost. advice in 1vs1

15 May 2015, 04:00 AM

Hello everyone!

Just would like to say thanks for the help. Really enjoy the game and always looking for ways to improve. Finally decided to upload a replay and look for advice.

I generally only play Germany because of preference, but recently came back to the game and just constantly struggle against soviets, esp. Guard-Motor, Mortar or Shocks.

Of course, there is always room for improvement in term of micro and economic management, but I was particularly disappointed when I lose the game late game to call-ins. I uploaded a reply to demonstrate and feel free to provide any advices.

Cap order is also something I am not too familiar with but am experimenting with.

Thanks!

15 May 2015, 04:19 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Few things,you didnt do bad at all,really. I couldnt find anything to nitpick you on. You played solidly until The first t34's came. Then you unraveled.

Best thing you can do is NOT launch any sort of offensive action when soviet call in's are about to arrive. They will almost always repel you and then cause heavy losses and turn the game all the way around,as you now know,or have known. Usually your Command Points are about the same as your enemies'. So just look at yours,and when its around 9-10, for you,get on the defensive,buy an extra PaK or two, and prepare for the initial shock strike of the T3485 mark vehicle swarm.

Teller mines help too if you can afford.

You also wouldve benefitted greatly from fuel caches and Tier 4 with Panthers instead of just panzer 4 after panzer 4. You also picked a Tiger doctrine but didnt use it,or any of the abilities except the Recon run.
Tiger+ Panther with paks(including the one you stole) was very much a possibility for you this game,and woulve been tough for him to take on with just T34's on such a narrow map.

If you arent pressured,then tech on up.

15 May 2015, 04:53 AM

Thanks Cookie!

I feel this game I bled manpower a little and I need to use more of the commander ability. I tend to favorite Pz4 because I feel they are very price-effective. Now, I just recently came back to the game so I am not sure if the panther has been buffed. I do remember panther before was very expensive.

I think I should tech T3 more often. Also, is getting a PG worth it at all? I tried PG many times, but they are just so fragile...

Another quick one, when should I built caches? I never used them but sees my opponent getting them some time either very early or when they are choked.
15 May 2015, 05:06 AM

Campy soviets on this map is one of my pet peeves because Ost is a little lacking in the tools to deal with this type situation.

Firstly, the soviet player got an early T2 and mortor. You can see this through the fog of war so you need to think about countering this, which grens and mg42 just don't do. A scout car is of little use vs sov T2 unless your on a more open map. It is too hard to navigate the choke points on this map, your at risk of mines, early at guns will reduce its effectiveness and his mortors were in fairly defensive positions.

Ideally you want a fast pgren for flanking and to take out his mortor because once he gets dug in your job only gets harder. A counter motor is also necessary to apply pressure to mgs, at guns and at the very least to make him reposition his own mortor. Also smoke can help pgrens and flamers get in close.

You had a mortor half track, use it. It can apply a lot of pressure on campy soviets especially if you flank with pgrens at the same time.

You were caught out with your p4s, gotta watch those cps. Once T34 85s are due, start playing defensive, get two pack40s and keep them behind your tanks. Also start putting down tellers in the area you want to keep your tanks. I have 3 teller mine bulletins which lowers the price to 41 muni, really effective against sov callins.

Eventually i think your loss boils down to not providing any indirect fire on his support weapons and not having any units for CQ combat. It is entirely possible you could have defeated him before the callins.

Also, you were floating at one stage, a muni or fuel cache would have been beneficial...
15 May 2015, 20:42 PM

Campy soviets on this map is one of my pet peeves because Ost is a little lacking in the tools to deal with this type situation.

Firstly, the soviet player got an early T2 and mortor. You can see this through the fog of war so you need to think about countering this, which grens and mg42 just don't do. A scout car is of little use vs sov T2 unless your on a more open map. It is too hard to navigate the choke points on this map, your at risk of mines, early at guns will reduce its effectiveness and his mortors were in fairly defensive positions.

Ideally you want a fast pgren for flanking and to take out his mortor because once he gets dug in your job only gets harder. A counter motor is also necessary to apply pressure to mgs, at guns and at the very least to make him reposition his own mortor. Also smoke can help pgrens and flamers get in close.

You had a mortor half track, use it. It can apply a lot of pressure on campy soviets especially if you flank with pgrens at the same time.

You were caught out with your p4s, gotta watch those cps. Once T34 85s are due, start playing defensive, get two pack40s and keep them behind your tanks. Also start putting down tellers in the area you want to keep your tanks. I have 3 teller mine bulletins which lowers the price to 41 muni, really effective against sov callins.

Eventually i think your loss boils down to not providing any indirect fire on his support weapons and not having any units for CQ combat. It is entirely possible you could have defeated him before the callins.

Also, you were floating at one stage, a muni or fuel cache would have been beneficial...

Thanks skemshead!

After reviewing my game, I agree with you that I should have gotten a mortar as well. I think why I didn't get one was that I thought he had the 120mm (out range me?) Also, I am afraid to get PG cause they are so fragile! However, this map has lots of cover you are right, I should have gotten some PG. Good advice!
16 May 2015, 11:43 AM

Should have countered enemy mortar with mortar halftrack incendiary barrage.Perhaps built a cache if possible.81 mm mortar can't fight 120 mm and panzerwerfer is too far away.U need to dislodge his ,and incendiary barrage is best possibility.

Don't agree abt pzgrens,it would have been too much of a gamble.
You should have laid tellers once u knew he was stalling for t-85s.

Basically u didn't use ur doctrine at all.Picked mortar halftrack one-didn't use.Not using tiger probably wasn't that big an impact as its generally ineffective vs t-34/85s.

Main thing is if u knew he was stalling for 85s and still went pz 4 spam,then u had to go all out and put heavy pressure on him before he could get there and do sufficient dmg to justify pz4 spam.If u couldn't do that ur only option with that doctrine would have been panthers.I generally find a pak43 doctrine with panzer tactician a good option vs soviets.It means u can push midgame with pz 4 spam and yet not suddenly lose the game as u have backup enough to kill is-2 for 500 mp,not needing to tech.Then u can tech to panther in due time if needed while he tries to get arty to knock out ur 43.
Tiger these days is really a paper cat.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS