Login

russian armor

High end system - mediocre SSD loading times.

3 Apr 2015, 03:45 AM

I have recently built a new X99 system and for the most part it's super fast but I have noticed that CoH2 loads much slower than my last system and noticeably slower than my friends that have the same graphic settings and older PC's.

My Specs are:

5930K (a six core chip - could that be a cause? I have tried disabling HT in BIOS but nothing changed)
X99-A
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
16GB DDR4
GTX 980 Sli

All the latest drivers are installed and I have AHCI mode in BIOS.

With everything else the SSD performance is top notch, it's just the loading times in CoH2 that are lack lustre.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

3 Apr 2015, 19:24 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with your setup, it's just that CoH2 has pudding optimization etc..
4 Apr 2015, 19:09 PM

The Amount of cores you have is insignificant as COH 2 will not use more than 2 cores at most. Your best bet is to try to get your clockspeed as high as possible. Overclocking will help your FPS out alot as the game seems to be mostly CPU bound. As far as SSD Loading Times go since you have Intel X99, if you have enough ram you should RamDisk the game. You can find many RamDisk softwares online, which basically takes a chunk of your Ram and converts it into a virtual hard drive. Once you have that you can use Steam tool
http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/ to move your existing COH 2 install over to your RamDisk and notice a tremendous increase in loading speed. SSDs cannot compare to the speed of a RamDisk.
4 Apr 2015, 19:20 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I found the problem, it loads super fast when the Win7 power setting is changed to "High Performance". The difference is night and day. Down from 35-40 seconds loading time to less than 20 seconds.

I don't think the difference should be this huge. I windowed the game and watched the clock speed as the game loaded in CPU-Z and it seems that the chip isn't going at full speed often enough during loading while using my usual "Balanced" power setting.

Thanks for the tips on RamDisk.
5 Apr 2015, 18:13 PM

Just a notice with RamDisk type software you should beware, there is a reason we usually don't store some data in RAM. RAM is volatile which means it needs a current to store data. Anything in the RAM is will be cleared when power runs out. Use software that puts storage data in a non-storage data environment with caution.

Good to see it was just a power issue. Probably Windows clocked your CPU down. As Kurobane said CoH2 does most calculations on the CPU and it has poor multithreading, so any improvement on your clock speed will yield results ingame.
5 Apr 2015, 19:41 PM

TBH I probably won't use RamDisk, I shouldn't have to with this system.

The results are very similar with stock and OC speeds.

As you say, I think it might be something to do with the way CoH2 deals with multithreading as SSD speeds are not affected in any other area.

e.g. file transfers, other games loading and SSD benchmarks are all top notch, it's just this game where the loading times are slow.

I can change the Windows power setting before I play and turn it back to Balanced after of course but it's a bit of a pain and again, I shouldn't have to.
5 Apr 2015, 19:43 PM

TBH I probably won't use RamDisk, I shouldn't have to with this system.

The results are very similar with stock and OC speeds.

As you say, I think it might be something to do with the way CoH2 deals with multithreading as SSD speeds are not affected in any other area.

e.g. file transfers, other games loading and SSD benchmarks are all top notch, it's just this game where the loading times are slow.

I can change the Windows power setting before I play and turn it back to Balanced after of course but it's a bit of a pain and again, I shouldn't have to.

Correct you shouldn't have to. Might I ask what is making you have to swap over to "balanced"?
5 Apr 2015, 21:54 PM

Nothing, I'd just rather not have to run the CPU at full speed all the time which is what the "High Performance" power option does.

Default for windows is "Balanced" which allows for the CPU to lower it's clock speeds and voltages.

With the default Balanced option the CPU simply doesn't maintain it's maximum speed while CoH2 loads, once in game it does. So it's only the load times that are affected.

A bit disappointing after spending so much on this system & this being my main game.
6 Apr 2015, 08:54 AM
Patrion 310

Is your CPU overclocked? I run high performance and my CPU down clocks just fine. Might be a BIOS issue preventing it from down clocking (not used x99, check for speedstep though). Otherwise edit the high performance plan and change the minimum CPU % and see what happens.
6 Apr 2015, 11:16 AM
Donator 33

Yes you should get rid of the windows power saving things except on a laptop or non-gaming desktop. If you've correctly configured BIOS the CPU will clock down automatically. I have a gaming computer here that idles about 40w (it's old) and peaks around 350w. Windows power saving stuff disabled of course.

I'm not sure about win7 but the names 'balanced' etc are just presets, so disable things individually and it's not relevant which one is selected.
9 Apr 2015, 09:54 AM

"I run High Performance" WTF does that mean?

Guys, please, read before posting!

Is your CPU overclocked? I run high performance and my CPU down clocks just fine. Might be a BIOS issue preventing it from down clocking (not used x99, check for speedstep though). Otherwise edit the high performance plan and change the minimum CPU % and see what happens.

Yes you should get rid of the windows power saving things except on a laptop or non-gaming desktop. If you've correctly configured BIOS the CPU will clock down automatically. I have a gaming computer here that idles about 40w (it's old) and peaks around 350w. Windows power saving stuff disabled of course.

I'm not sure about win7 but the names 'balanced' etc are just presets, so disable things individually and it's not relevant which one is selected.

9 Apr 2015, 17:45 PM
Patrion 310

"I run High Performance" WTF does that mean?

Guys, please, read before posting!

I run the high performance power plan which you have been talking about.

Nothing, I'd just rather not have to run the CPU at full speed all the time which is what the "High Performance" power option does.

I was trying to help you allow your CPU to clock down while not being used but clearly you dont want help.
11 Apr 2015, 01:18 AM

I use a program called full throttle.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight