Login

russian armor

Competitions that involve Australia?

31 Mar 2015, 08:44 AM

Hi guys!

So i was wondering; will there be any tournaments that allows Australia to participate? like, all I see is basically NA and EU regions only. I do, however, understand that there might not be much to gain from involving Australia in the competitions, as Australia's player-base for COH2 is well...very small, from what I gather, but yes.

Thoughts?

Also, Apologies to the mods if this is the wrong place to put this. I wasn't sure how or where it would fit in, considering it involves both competitions and player-base.
31 Mar 2015, 09:22 AM

Well, it probably doesn't help that we're somewhat smack bang in the middle of both time zones :p I find it impressive that participation works as well as it does in current tournaments.

Probably the main issue is the lack of top-tier Australian players though. That said, an Australia time zone tournament could be good if people were to offer some prize money. When players from the top 10 lists aren't involved, it's much more uncertain as to who will win. And that's a good thing for viewers, I reckon.

Bottom line: As soon as I'm rich, I'd be quite keen to organise an Australian COH2 tournament! :)
31 Mar 2015, 10:53 AM

Cyanara, that is correct. Whilst underdog v favorite is classical. Two underdogs is fun to watch.

But in all seriousness. Tournies don't really see that many people apply from down under.
Having a tourny just for people in australia/ east asia will proably yield more people form those timezones it can be hard to get viewers on those timezones.

So more players form austrailia sure, but it might come at the cost of having less viewers.
31 Mar 2015, 13:24 PM

Cyanara, that is correct. Whilst underdog v favorite is classical. Two underdogs is fun to watch.

But in all seriousness. Tournies don't really see that many people apply from down under.
Having a tourny just for people in australia/ east asia will proably yield more people form those timezones it can be hard to get viewers on those timezones.

So more players form austrailia sure, but it might come at the cost of having less viewers.

yeah, unfortunately that was where I said it just doesnt seem viable. I would love to see Australian's in the tourneys. It makes me a little sad, to be honest. Even though Australia doesn't have the best player base (From what i know), it just doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort of sponsors and organizers. I mean, they would not probably benefit from it. In fact, the only reason I can think of at this point as to why Australia should have tourneys, is basically talent scouting (not implying im talented. FARRRRRRR from it).

So in summary, because i dont think i made sense.

-Australia's playerbase seems to be less than average, therefore, would it be worth the effort?
-Would there be any mutual gain between players and sponsors/organizers?
-If there was something to be gained, would it be the opportunity to scout?

Just some questions i am thinking of.

I do have a few things to add.
Are Australians, or well, the world besides the NA/EU regions, excluded?

If we are, why would that be? would it just be timezones? what, exactly is stopping those in a different timezone playing at, say midnight? surely it is up to them if they're willing to commit to the task.

If not timezones, could it possibly be the ping, or net speed?

I do have a large amount of questions on this matter. Just note, i am not pointing any fingers, i am merely observing and interpreting.

These are some pretty broad questions. Looking forward to what people looking at this forum think ;O

1 Apr 2015, 10:40 AM

Ping shouldn't be an issue. Battle Servers take care of that nicely, and being an RTS doesn't hurt.

I have no idea whether non-Americans or Europeans are excluded per se. I think it's more that the events are simply based around those timezones, so you can probably still participate. It's likely just the lack of high level Australian players available.

A tournament doesn't require many players. Australia could easily provide enough, especially since almost no one would be scared off by any famous names.

Observer time zones could be an issue, but that can be planned well over a weekend. And casts can also be watched later.

Organising a tournament doesn't necessarily have to be all that difficult either. I haven't personally looked into them all that much, but it seems like the prizes are generally just offered by people who love the game, rather than business sponsors. A couple hundred dollars isn't really all that much (if you don't have kids :p). Prizes can also be crowd-sourced. I'd probably enjoy running one. My main limitation is my slow upload speed which limits casting quality heavily.
1 Apr 2015, 11:26 AM

I don't think anyone ever would have any intrest to exclude Australians or people outside EU/NA timezones. (we are 8 hours apart good damn it stop bunching us up :P )

Since in some tournies you want as many players as possible excluding anyone is stupid.

But it is harder to organize the games and I believe some players might be turned off by that, organizers are not. I remember the Nations Cup we had I think it was NZ vs Brazil or something like that. Not the easiest to get going.

As an organizer you can like Cyanara pointed out, just stream whenever you have most viewers, so I do not think any organizer are reluctant to include any of you guys down under. :)
1 Apr 2015, 11:45 AM

I don't think anyone ever would have any intrest to exclude Australians or people outside EU/NA timezones. (we are 8 hours apart good damn it stop bunching us up :P )

Since in some tournies you want as many players as possible excluding anyone is stupid.

But it is harder to organize the games and I believe some players might be turned off by that, organizers are not. I remember the Nations Cup we had I think it was NZ vs Brazil or something like that. Not the easiest to get going.

As an organizer you can like Cyanara pointed out, just stream whenever you have most viewers, so I do not think any organizer are reluctant to include any of you guys down under. :)

Hmmmmmmmm exclude probably wasnt the best word haha tbh i couldnt think of a better,more accurate word.

I can understand the struggle it may be to orgainise a tournament that involves those outside the EU/NA areas. How did that tourney turn out? :o

And I am by no means meaning to offend anybody, if I am, i sincerely apologise >.<
1 Apr 2015, 11:48 AM

Ping shouldn't be an issue. Battle Servers take care of that nicely, and being an RTS doesn't hurt.

I have no idea whether non-Americans or Europeans are excluded per se. I think it's more that the events are simply based around those timezones, so you can probably still participate. It's likely just the lack of high level Australian players available.

A tournament doesn't require many players. Australia could easily provide enough, especially since almost no one would be scared off by any famous names.

Observer time zones could be an issue, but that can be planned well over a weekend. And casts can also be watched later.

Organising a tournament doesn't necessarily have to be all that difficult either. I haven't personally looked into them all that much, but it seems like the prizes are generally just offered by people who love the game, rather than business sponsors. A couple hundred dollars isn't really all that much (if you don't have kids :p). Prizes can also be crowd-sourced. I'd probably enjoy running one. My main limitation is my slow upload speed which limits casting quality heavily.

Very valid points. I have no idea what would be involved in creating a tourney. I've never really done anything of the sort

I am glad ping is not an issue, and you are right, it would be less likely to scare contenders off.

It is nice to see that people do that :'), contributing to the tourney pool.

Also, would it be viable to have an entry fee of say....2 dollars per entry and contribute that to the prize pool? like i mean, sure if 5 people played, it would only be 10 dollars for a prize pool. I dont see anything wrong with that at all :o However, i do understand that in modern times, 2 dollars can be alot of money, especially for a uni student! XD
1 Apr 2015, 11:52 AM

I do greatly appreciate the discussion this has developed into, it was indefiantly what i was aiming for when creating this thread :') thanks guys :D
1 Apr 2015, 12:26 PM

people live in australia? :snfBarton:
2 Apr 2015, 04:09 AM

people live in australia? :snfBarton:

You dont often hear about us. We are busy fighting off giant spiders and snakes
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %