Login

russian armor

Should we see recovery vehicles in CoH2?

26 Feb 2015, 19:09 PM

i actually liked the medic bunkers, did anyone else?

no one in coh1 complained about zombie grens or zombie rifles, because it was just part of the game, and that system was different from any other RTS at the time...
26 Feb 2015, 19:11 PM

It could be great for OKW. i think it matches the faction well
26 Feb 2015, 19:51 PM

No. And for two reasons.

1 - Tanks weren't recovered in the middle of battle. Right after... ok, but no one did this in battle.

2 - I don't trust Relic to design it or to balance it.

For one thing, there was never a Bergetiger, yet that is the only Armoured recovery vehicle to appear in COH1.

OTOH, 347 Bergpanthers and 170 Bergpanzers were made, but they don't appear. The US had over 1500 of the Sherman variant (m32) alone, not to mention many other types, and the Sherman was an easy to repair tank for which a lot of parts were available. The German tanks were not easy to repair due to the diverse amounts of AFVs, multiple versions of each, and a supply chain that was under duress due to allied bombing.
26 Feb 2015, 19:56 PM

i actually liked the medic bunkers, did anyone else?

no one in coh1 complained about zombie grens or zombie rifles, because it was just part of the game, and that system was different from any other RTS at the time...

Oh, there was plenty of bitching about zombie grens. It was just a much more powerful mechanic than zombie rifles (and still is). You could get a 4 man gren squad for 88mp (the 4x22 it cost you to replenish a volks squad) and from a hard bunker, which could be further hardened if you went defensive. That 88mp squad will come out with whatever vet you have bought so far.

OTOH a medtent took 6 bodies (6 x 27 = 162mp vs 270 new) to give you an unvetted rifle squad and the medtent could be destroyed with small arms and could not be garrisoned. Sorry, the two just aren't even close to the same thing.

but this points out something else. How a similar mechanic can actually play so differently. Factions don't need to be as different to be fun as they are in COH2, which would make them easier to balance.
26 Feb 2015, 20:03 PM

This tank offsets salvage ability that the OKW has, so I don't think this tank will fit in COH2 style play.
26 Feb 2015, 20:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2015, 19:51 PMAvNY
No. And for two reasons.

1 - Tanks weren't recovered in the middle of battle. Right after... ok, but no one did this in battle.

2 - I don't trust Relic to design it or to balance it.

For one thing, there was never a Bergetiger, yet that is the only Armoured recovery vehicle to appear in COH1.

OTOH, 347 Bergpanthers and 170 Bergpanzers were made, but they don't appear. The US had over 1500 of the Sherman variant (m32) alone, not to mention many other types, and the Sherman was an easy to repair tank for which a lot of parts were available. The German tanks were not easy to repair due to the diverse amounts of AFVs, multiple versions of each, and a supply chain that was under duress due to allied bombing.

Well the vehicle denoted as a bergetiger was likely just a mine/obstacle clearing vehicle, but nevertheless that is besides the point.

And engineers didn't crowd around a damaged vehicle completely exposed to enemy fire in the heat of combat nor did halftracks carry an infinite portal of reinforcements so we have to remember what is supposed to be considered as "representative" and not a literal depiction.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★