Login

russian armor

soviet shock army.

15 Feb 2015, 17:11 PM

I am having a hell of time dealing with this. I get wrecked before I can get armor to support, by then its too late. Any help appreciated.
15 Feb 2015, 21:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge

The actual Shock Army Commander as a whole, or just Shock Troops in general?
16 Feb 2015, 00:50 AM

The actual Shock Army Commander as a whole, or just Shock Troops in general?

Good point. Thanks for that... that's what I get for typing in quick on my phone on the train.

Mostly with dealing with Shock troops and ppsh cons.
16 Feb 2015, 03:34 AM

If he is spending 390MP on Shocks...his AT is somewhere lacking. Ostwinds are THE hard counter to Shocks, mortars/MGs are safest soft counters.
16 Feb 2015, 05:01 AM

I tend to focus fire on Shocks before they even get close. He will only be able to chase 1 unit at a time. if we blobs, predicting where they will be walking through and use Rifle Grenade or Grenade. Thats what I do, sometimes it works. but like Death's Head said, Ostwinds are the hard counter for it. Just becareful not to get Ostwind be countered by ZiS Guns
16 Feb 2015, 14:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Some are better versus cons than shocks and vice versa, however:

Flame Half-Track

222 if you can keep the distance

S-Mines (maybe)

MGs and Bunkers if you have them interlocking and covering each other, so that if one gets smoke in front of it it can drop back and the other can cover it.

If you are really confident you can try the sniper v Shocks

Base infantry:

LMG-42s if you can keep distance, things like water, fences and wire will prevent them getting close and you can knock them apart from distance.

Don't out your squads next to each other, keep them apart so even if he gets close to one and forces it to retreat he is still a long way away from the other

18 Feb 2015, 09:56 AM

If he got shocks he usually won't have T1 - go for a sniper. You can make the squad bleed 2 entities before he is even in CQ range on your grens, at least another entitiy while the fight takes place. Normally your grenadiers shouldn't have much of a problem with that.

If he has T1, go straight for T3 and Ostwind or P4. Depending on doctrine, map control and opponent's doctrine sometimes a P4 is more viable than Ostwind and the other way round.

Pioneers with flamethrowers are totally underrated btw. Perfect for dealing with squads that are already being shot at due to flame criticals be it shocks or ppsh conscripts.
Often I even prefer it over a LMG upgrade.

//EDIT

I would NOT recommend Flame HT or Scoutcar. Scoutcar is way too fragile and is easily overcome by conscripts alone. The Flame HT will cost you 120 munitions which is 2 weapon upgrades and is fragile, too. Furthermore you need T3 teched for the upgrade so you will be facing enemy tanks soon.
18 Feb 2015, 10:46 AM
Patrion 14

Scout Car isn't too bad really if you micro it well. But you got to keep it at distance, don't want to get AT nades on that. Other than that, keep your grens together, but don't blob up. A shock will charge one of your grens, while the other can fire from a distance. Sure, you'll have to retreat your first gren, but you can probably get him to retreat as well, which is a win considering the cost of a shock.
18 Feb 2015, 11:16 AM

You really need to provide more info otherwise any feedback you get will be extremely generalized.

Are you okw or ost.

222 is ok, but don't expect it to do much other than reduce shock health. If he chases your 222 he will eventually die but few are that stupid. Do not chase shocks on retreat unless he is low health, you will just loose the vehicle. 222 is really used to keep shocks under control not kill them.

If you fast tech and get Ostwind, be prepared for him to counter with t34, and consider the fact he may be aiming for fast t34 so getting an Ostwind may turn into a trap. Lay tellers and get 2 paks and only operate in that area. If you lose Ostwind to t34 you will be in really bad spot.

As okw, extra sturmpio,fast flaktrack or luchs.

Depending on the map as ost, I would say pull back a little and play more defensively, lay some defensive S mines, keep grens together, get another mg42 and position behind grens so you can soft retreat. Protect high muni,high fuel and 1 vp and push second vp, do not spread out too much.

18 Feb 2015, 20:07 PM

I only recommend Ostwind when you see that he has 2 shocks, because that will cause a huge manepower drain for him. 222 is still my favorite counter, but shocks can deal some good dmg to it if they get close.
Grenades also do the trick.
2 MG's to support each other. Mines. Basically anything with good AI-capacity. G43's also tear through soviet infantry like nothing else.
19 Feb 2015, 00:27 AM

Thanks guy. I will put this in my tool belt.
19 Feb 2015, 20:55 PM

I pretty much like when my opponent goes for Shocks .... they aren't dangerous at long or mid-range and two vetted lmg-Grens can deal with them in a usual combat situation. They completely suck against vehicles and the opponent usually suffers a huge mp-drain.

Concentrate your fire on them, use supression and vehicles and S-Mines do pretty well against the pesky Ivans.... however you need to counter them. Grens alone won't stop shocks.
20 Feb 2015, 11:07 AM

A good shock play in close quarters areas is impossible to counter unless you have vechicle / smines near by to bait him.. all the above suggestions were in open area with mid/long ranges.. in certains sections of map where LOS is blocked a shock ambush is deadly.

So if you see a squad then he has invested MP into them that means less ZIS guns harrass him else where with your vehicles. ( he woudl most likely have 1 ZIS covering shocks )

One trick with Smines is to place them where the Sign post gets blocked by map objects and put HMG behind it watch his smoke tactic fail.
20 Feb 2015, 12:20 PM
Benefactor 115

vs shocks just don't take the fight unless you have lmgs and you can force him to close the distance while you sit in green cover/building, possibly with support. otherwise instaretreat and try avoiding them (don't bleed mp unnecessarily). mg42 of course helps but be aware of smoke nade (as soon as you suppress them reposition a few meters behind)
20 Feb 2015, 13:01 PM

Reposition MG-42 like mad and...
Sniper.

I'm serious.
You will bleed him out like communist swine.
1 shot = 1 shock.

Also I've found out that Incendiary round is a great tool of blob control and good source of damage. It can insta kill up to three models (depends on density of enemy ranks).
20 Feb 2015, 13:19 PM

Fear propaganda is also pretty good Vs shocks (which want to keep moving), and also blobs. If you have the balls to go Terror doctrine.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★