Login

russian armor

Are there any RTS games coming with great potential ?

4 Feb 2015, 11:17 AM
Donator 11

Maybe we should ask Cruzz to make a MOBA out of COH2
4 Feb 2015, 11:32 AM

Now that was a great RTS game.

I still dont understand how they could kill Cossacks series with Cossacks 2... Such big potential just wasted.
4 Feb 2015, 12:23 PM
Donator 11

If you're interested in competitive rts other than SC2 and CoH2 i recommend Supreme Commander, it's not new but it is fun and different to play and also it has nice community around it, you just need to google "FA Forever". I'm refering to original one with Forged Alliance expansion not the Supreme Commander 2 shit.
4 Feb 2015, 12:47 PM

Homeworld is the only title atm , that i am looking forward to.
The look of it , the sound and the 3-dimensionality was just awesome when i played it years ago.
But i know this game will not have a big playerbase. :*(
4 Feb 2015, 22:02 PM

I really don't know of any upcoming RTS games to look forward to, unfortunately.

However, there is a slew of older titles to be had.

I miss the old days when we had so many great gaming studios making great RTS titles. Westwood Studios, Sierra Entertainment, Relic, Gas Powered Games, Microsoft Game Studios, Ensemble Studios, Vivendi Universal Games, Big Huge Games, Stainless Steel Studios, and probably more I'm missing.

I don't know how old you are and how far back you've been playing RTS games, but some of my favorite titles are:

Total Annihilation
Supreme Commander (1 and 2, with 1 + Forged Alliance expansion being the best. The multiplayer community is still very active here)
Age of Empires (I, II, III, with II being the best)
Age of Mythology
Rise of Nations
Empire Earth (I and II)
Homeworld (1 and 2, with 2 being the best)
Command & Conquer (too many to list, but Red Alert was really the best [RA2 pretty good too], and Generals is a close second best. EA ruined the franchise, besides Generals)
Act of War: Direct Action (neat ideas and pretty fun, but never really gained much popularity)
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II (awesome unit control and realism)
Faces of War
Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War (interesting concept, controlling a hero unit in 3rd person)
Ground Control (I and II)
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World

That's what I can think of at the moment. And of course Starcraft is implied.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
4 Feb 2015, 22:46 PM

I wish Massive Entertainment get back in business and make new Ground Control/WiC/something new, or even remakes. Their games were so awesome gameplay- and story-wide.
Only Relic postRelic 4 Feb 2015, 23:41 PM
Developer Relic Badge

RTS is a niche, but has the potential to be a very compelling, decent-sized niche.

My first serious non-Amiga games were all RTSs. Warcraft, C&C, Friday afternoons at work playing Warcraft 2 (the sound of bloodlusted ogres will never leave me) and Red Alert. Loved them. Still do.

There are challenging pressures on many game genres - stagnation in innovation/sequelization feels like it's turning people off the big games a bit, audiences that are aging and have other things to do (kids and stuff), the requisite time consumption of RTS gaming, 'new' genres like MOBAs or the WoTs, mobile gaming...

But there are some standout hold-outs. The Total War series does really well, we're certainly not chopped liver, SC2 maybe isn't living the high life of old, but still pulls them in.

5 Feb 2015, 06:48 AM

Warcraft gives me a really mixed feelings. Second was in my books the best by far. It was fun to poke the builders and hear the different responses (and eventually see them explode :D ). When the third arrived, I tried to like it and ended up trying it also online. That totally ruined my experience. I got my ass handed so bad. Same thing happened with SC series.

But Westwood games are totally different story. I still have the cardboard box of Red Alert, including the soundtrack. That sound track is really amazing, still gives me the creeps. Playing RA with my friend with RS-232 serial cable. Oh my.

Also Generals & Zero Hour was a really big deal for me. But after that, RTS games went out of my mind for a long time. When CoH came out (I still have that cardboard box as well, I think it includes Dawn of War also), I played it a lot. But then again FPS games took over and I didn't really play vCoH when it was released in steam or so. But now I've played quite steadily CoH2 since it arrived. Still play it as my main game.

I'm also checking for other potential games. So far my findings are either: Grey Goo (have to monitor that for a while is it staying for good), Blitzkrieg 3 (no experience of the series so far) or Act of Aggression. I think the last one would suit my purposes best.

Also it might be that I will return for FPS genre. :) you never know.
5 Feb 2015, 07:05 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2015, 23:41 PMqduffy
RTS is a niche, but has the potential to be a very compelling, decent-sized niche.

My first serious non-Amiga games were all RTSs. Warcraft, C&C, Friday afternoons at work playing Warcraft 2 (the sound of bloodlusted ogres will never leave me) and Red Alert. Loved them. Still do.

There are challenging pressures on many game genres - stagnation in innovation/sequelization feels like it's turning people off the big games a bit, audiences that are aging and have other things to do (kids and stuff), the requisite time consumption of RTS gaming, 'new' genres like MOBAs or the WoTs, mobile gaming...

But there are some standout hold-outs. The Total War series does really well, we're certainly not chopped liver, SC2 maybe isn't living the high life of old, but still pulls them in.

All of my critique and criticisms aside COH2 is the most compelling game of any genre I have ever played full stop
5 Feb 2015, 08:31 AM

I'm surprised nobody has said homeworld yet...

My thoughts exactly. And it's coming out in two weeks or so.
5 Feb 2015, 10:42 AM

Against that, our one saving grace though, is our fanaticism.
Undoetunately, we more often turn that against each other,

Lol xD

Two factors to that:
1) People are intimidated by facing someone in confrontation. I practiced fencing for awhile, and i experience the same in 1v1. Its an opponent whos face you cant see, but you are intimately in contact with them in competition. Man against man... 1v1 is hard on you, personally. Its all your own fault. Many people skirt this enormously. Furthermore, losing sucks. Its very hard on the ego. Rare is the respectful gentleman winner who wont rub your face in it. And equally rare, a loser who doesnt take it personally. Which leads ro my second factor

2) In a team, you are not alone. You are supported, carried, whatever by someone else. Its funny how in team victory, most say "I won" (not we won) in pridepost, disregarding team, and when they lose, they blame teammate instead.Sort of ironic, eh? Difficult topic, but Im sure most of you know this to be more common than not. I dont blame anyone for it. I understand. Shared responsibility is easier than personal responsibility, and more convenient. Not only can you claim personal vidnicsrion when you win, but you can sideline personal failure by blaming others instead when you lose... Notable to that, in paradox, the best teams are the ones who do the exact opposite. Blame themselves for failure, and celebrate the team in victory. Something to think about there...

I agree. And I do get saddened by how too many continue to chose being scrubs and stick to terrible attitudes and behaviour. Is it so hard to be civil towards your team and your opponents? It's just so low. After all, you learn more by losing than by winning as long as you have a Little self-critique.
5 Feb 2015, 12:02 PM

Even with all its shortcomings, company of heroes franchise (and dawn of war too because of similar mechanics) is far superior compared to any other rts available. For me at least.

One of the reasons is that there isn´t such a hurry in what you do, ie. you have usually plenty of time to react to things like your units getting killed (sudden squadwipes aside) and it´s more about the decisions you make rather than just being faster to manage resources/build/spam/issue commands and being everywhere at once.

The gameplay as a result feels much more relaxed than in more traditional games like starcraft or c&c where you must master superhuman amount of actions per minute (feels more like a work than game) to be able to compete.

Also the controls, and to some degree user interface, are very intuitive when compared to men of war for example. Coh mostly plays very smoothly though I admit things like lag spikes and pathfinding issues happen frequently.

On the topic, other rts games I have found quite entertaining are:
-C&C3 and RA3: I feel like both of these have aged very well, both featuring three distinctly different factions with interesting units and visually both games look decently pretty for their age. I hear there is now some third party software available for online play.
-Sins of a solar empire: games tend to take a little longer on this one but I really do enjoy it time to time. I especially love the diplomacy and research aspects of this game. Resource system is quite similar to coh and supreme commander but the overall pace is much slower.
-Wargame: different take on the realism side and scale is much larger. Not many hours logged in yet but so far I like it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 68
South Africa 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment