Login

russian armor

Worldbuilding with Nvidia's Shield Tablet

2 Feb 2015, 17:39 PM

This will be a WIP thread. I will be attempting a proof of concept for worldbuilding using nvidia's gamestream technology. I will try to make a map from scratch using the tablet. There are several features that may benefit the process, if I can get past some of the technical difficulties. If all works out, I should be able to worldbuild anywhere I have a wifi internet connection, while all save files store locally on my home PC.

Requirements:
-Nvidia Powered PC, I will use a GTX 980, 4.5ghz i7 quad core, and 32gigs of RAM
-Nvidia Tablet, I have the 32GB LTE version
-Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse
-5 Ghz Router, Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz wireless, and there are some issues with too many devices, and a heavy data stream on the 2.4 band.

PHASE ONE

Design:
I used the on board software, Nvidia Dabbler, and the stylus pen, to hand draw a concept map. A bit awkward using the stylus, as it has some lag. Some unwanted inputs, and difficulty operating the software made it frustrating at times, but I saved some paper.

For this map, I'm going for a small 1v1 map. Typically I avoid 1v1 due to my lack of mad skillz, but being a proof of concept, I don't want to get drawn into a bunch of redundant work. This will be a small mountain side road. The base sectors marked with B, Fuel with F, and Munitions with Mu. Territory sectors are marked with T, and stars for the VP's. The dashed line represents the curving road. Basic Territory lines are indicated on the map.

Feel free to leave feedback regarding balance or other idea's.

Thanks!
3 Feb 2015, 13:43 PM

I've run into some expected technical difficulties. Gamestreaming is unstable for me at the moment, resulting in dropped gamestream after about 2-3 minutes. This was not an issue for the first few weeks I owned the tablet. I was even able to stream games at work for over an hour, originally. Some search's show similar issue with other people, and it looks to be as simple as reinstalling some drivers.

Initial results are promising. During the week, I have little free time, so while I wasn't able to actually get started, I was able to test the worldbuilder, and interact with all the tools necessary to do the job, all while streaming through my tablet, into my living room TV. There was no lag, and when I streamed from work, I got the same performance, although I was limited to 2.4ghz band wireless, and couldn't use my mouse and keyboard at the same time. I've read that trying a different bluetooth mouse or keyboard combination may result in a better experience, while on a 2.4ghz band.

I am expected a successful overall experience, and my next test will involve using the stylus to paint TILE's and Territories.

EDIT: Feb 4, 2015
Last night I was unsuccessful in fixing the situation...but I did make progress. It seems that steam doesn't like me gamestreaming through nvidia's service. So my workaround was to stream a remote desktop to itself, which then allowed me an uninterrupted gamestream. I was able to create the map, place the minimal objects for saving, and test the map for correct base orientation.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight