Login

russian armor

Suggestion to rework penetration

27 Dec 2014, 16:09 PM

So as it stands now, tank combat is incredibly RNG.

Theres very little skill involved in actual tank combat, other than just random bullpudding RNG fights and my tank is bigger than yours.

So i propose to instead of set penetration values and armor values where a t-70 has 14% chance to pen tigers front armor, i propose all tank guns to have predefined values of whether they can penetrate a specific tank at a specific range or not.

Examples of this would be

t-34 can penetrate panzer IV at mid/close ranges
panzer IV can penetrate t-34 at long/mid/close ranges
t-34/85 can penetrate tiger at mid/close ranges
tiger can penetrate t-34/85 at long/mid/close

IS-2 can penetrate tiger at long/mid/close
tiger can penetrate IS-2 at close
IS-2 can penetrate KT at close
KT can penetrate IS-2 at close/mid

jackson can penetrate tiger at long/mid/close
jackson can penetrate panther at mid/close

And so on. I feel this would make overall tanks more skill involved and make heavies more micro intensive, because you would have to stay at a specific range with your heavy tanks in order to use its heavy armor againts medium tanks. Fail to use them right, and watch in vain as your heavy tank gets easily penetrated by some random medium.
27 Dec 2014, 16:15 PM

Kinda agree with this. Pretty much what I did in my mod that I'm making solely for myself :megusta:

Still a bit of RNG involved though.
27 Dec 2014, 16:35 PM

interesting.... would this mean 100 percent penetration once yu get into the optimal range?
27 Dec 2014, 16:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Dec 2014, 16:35 PMNinjaWJ
interesting.... would this mean 100 percent penetration once yu get into the optimal range?

Yes.
27 Dec 2014, 16:42 PM

I feel this is kind of like COH1 targeting tables... something Relic would never do
27 Dec 2014, 18:36 PM

This would make allied medium tanks OP,easily outnumber and annihilate german heavies because of speed and ease of closing.Already allied medium call-ins are underpriced for performance.
I also find it quite funny that is-2 will penetrate tiger at all ranges,but tiger is-2 only close despite same cost and roughly speed.
27 Dec 2014, 18:53 PM

This would make allied medium tanks OP,easily outnumber and annihilate german heavies because of speed and ease of closing.Already allied medium call-ins are underpriced for performance.
I also find it quite funny that is-2 will penetrate tiger at all ranges,but tiger is-2 only close despite same cost and roughly speed.

umm.... Allied mediums aren't underpriced. T34/76 performs horribly. Sherman is in a nice spot.
27 Dec 2014, 20:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Dec 2014, 16:09 PMBurts
So as it stands now, tank combat is incredibly RNG.

jackson can penetrate panther at mid/close

So I have to expose my jackson to panther's fire to take a shot? No thank you.
The concept of what you say seems cool, but what I said is just one example of some complications that might happen.
27 Dec 2014, 23:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Dec 2014, 18:53 PMNinjaWJ

umm.... Allied mediums aren't underpriced. T34/76 performs horribly. Sherman is in a nice spot.

I meant call-ins smartguy and u know it.:)
28 Dec 2014, 00:57 AM
Patrion 28

you can do this with the existing system if you implement a lower end cut off for penetration. either a flat value below the armour or a percentage.

example: a tiger has (again, example) 400/200 armour. weapons with less than 300 pen cannot penetrate at all. a 34/76 has 250/150/50 pen. it can't penetrate a tiger's frontal armour but it will always pen the rear at near ranges and sometimes at medium ranges and never at far.

a percentage would be something like pen values of less than 50% of the armour can't pen. both would be fairly easy to implement and would not require a huge rework of the system.
30 Dec 2014, 06:22 AM

this would simply cause rebalancing the accuracy of tanks to maintian their DPS and the game's balance.

also you already do have to micro your heavy tanks so they dont get surrounded (or risk getting destroyed)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★