Login

russian armor

Looking for feedback - replay

30 Oct 2014, 06:51 AM

Hi! I've never posted a replay before - been wanting to for a while, but never had the courage to throw myself to the wolves! Normally after a loss I have a pretty good idea of where I messed up (or if I was just outplayed), but I just had a game that I can't pin exactly what happened and feel it'd be a decent example to get some feedback on.

A little background; Haven't been able to play for about three weeks now, started back up last night, and when on a normal schedule I try to do 3-4 matches a night at least 4 nights out of the week. I primarily do 3v3 with my clan, 4v4 and 2v2 coming next, and 1v1 being the mode I've played the least. I solely play Wermacht (I know, groan away!), but try to mentally put myself in the shoes of my opponents as much as possible. Below is a general overview of the match, as well as the associated replay!

Thanks ahead of time, and don't go easy on me!

Pre-match:

I am far less comfortable against soviets than I am USF, I noted what commanders he had and planned to keep my eye out for shocks or guards to prep for either IS2 or 85 call ins. I never use mechanized assault against soviets in 1v1, usually opting for spearhead. Jaeger armor is there so I have the option, but I have only used it a few times and have little experience with it.

Opening/early game:

I really find myself liking a double MG42 opening with soviets, keeping them together and placing the second one in an area behind the first that will not be immediately noticed (to hopefully catch any oorahs by surprise and potentially do some real damage to manpower early on). Once the second MG has been seen I try to reposition both of them in the same general area to keep my opponent guessing. I almost always follow my MGs with a grenadier then either: a second gren, a mortar, a munitions cache (ordered by most likely to least). I'm used to teching BP1 shortly after my 4th unit gets out but sometimes this isn't possible in 1v1 due to low fuel, if I can tech then I can usually get an LMG out right after. After first LMG comes out I'll try to get a medic bunker asap. After this it is completely dependent on the situation.

Note: I feel the early-mid game is where I messed up and made this round a lot harder for myself, and I'm not sure why. I know I started to float some resources because I couldn't make a call on what I needed to be getting out next, and this lost me both time and delayed increasing my army's capabilities. I'm not sure if this was my biggest mistake overall, or if I'm missing something else.

Mid Game:

Nothing too concrete here, always very situational. If I can put off getting a pak 40 out I will, instead opting for more grens with LMGs in mind, sometimes some sniper play if I'm feeling up to it. Important to note, I practically -never- find myself using light vehicles, especially in 1v1 because I am fuel starved, I rather opt for a muni cache and rely on LMGs/shreks/riflenades until I feel like the pak needs to come out. In this round I found myself trying to keep my opponent busy by harrasing and hitting from multiple points at a constant rate. I started feeling the heat and was struggling a bit with my micro, causing me to lose some more models/squads than I should have, as well as having units sit idle when they had things to be doing.

I can't remember exactly where but I had a pretty great rifle nade at one point against 3 guard squads that completely wreaked them. The new cover mechanics led to them getting quite bunched up and I almost wiped all three in one blast!

Late game:

I still hadn't chosen a commander until the late game, I knew I didn't really have the resources to make sure of anything they could offer so I didn't bother. In retrospect I should have just picked spearhead a lot earlier, the panzer tactician could have potentially assisted me in utilizing my panzer IV a bit more aggressively.

This particular round sees me struggling to ever enter the 'late game' stage due to low fuel. I managed to get a panzer IV out but was very tempted to get a stug much earlier. I was panicked at this point due to my panzer coming out after I was far behind on VPs, so I maybe should have opted for a stug earlier on to let me push back sooner. I didn't even consider a tiger to be an option at this point. I was definitely slipping and getting desparate to hold down some VPs, so I was being a bit more reckless in my decisions.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight