Login

russian armor

Adjusting veterancy to improve balance?

6 Oct 2014, 16:34 PM

Here is my thought:
the easiest way to better balance the game without making certain units on either side rather useless seems to be an adjustment of unit-boni via veterancy.

As an example an early Vet2 on USF-Rifles really increases this unit's early- and midgame capabilities. It is really strong against lower-vet Grenadiers and Pios and packs quite a punch. But then again a Vet3-Rifle won't have much of an impact in the later stages of the game, as it still won't stand much of a chance against a unit such as vetted Obersoldaten, fusiliers, hell sometimes even Vet5-Volks. So the reward for unit-preservation on the Allied side pretty much pinnacles around the 15-18 minute-mark.

In contrast to that, OKW-units gain veterancy over a much longer period of the game, increasing the lethality of those units a lot more. This would make sense, if the OKW had infact less units than i.e. the USF. This has an even higher impact considering the USF hardly has any reasonable counters to elite-infantry apart from HE-shells and (some) artillery maybe.

So lets say we would change the vet-modifiers in such a way, that rewards unit preservation more. As an example: reducing the lethality of vet1/2 rifles would slightly reduce USF-midgame capabilities and give axis a better chance to maintain mappresence in the early- to midgame-stage. To even this out the amount of necessary XP to gain Vet3 for a riflesquad would have to be increased while simultaneously increasing its impact on the unit's perfomance (i.e. some kind of armour/received accuracy buff). That way USF basic infantry would stay more competitve in the lategame without improving its early-game lethality.

Something similiar could be achieved by adjusting the OKW's veterancy accordingly. Maybe changing it to the standard Vet3-system wouldn't be the worst idea?

tl;dr: Make US/Sov Vet3 harder to get, but be more rewarding. Therefore reward unit-preservation more and increase allied lategame-competitiveness without introducing new units/making axis-units useless.

(I am around #30 with all factions, slightly prefering axis design-wise in case of fanboyism-accusations)
6 Oct 2014, 16:44 PM

I totally agree. I feel that it is a good change too. It rewards unit preservation rather than just blanket buffs to a unit.
6 Oct 2014, 17:04 PM

Here is my thought:
the easiest way to better balance the game without making certain units on either side rather useless seems to be an adjustment of unit-boni via veterancy.

As an example an early Vet2 on USF-Rifles really increases this unit's early- and midgame capabilities. It is really strong against lower-vet Grenadiers and Pios and packs quite a punch. But then again a Vet3-Rifle won't have much of an impact in the later stages of the game, as it still won't stand much of a chance against a unit such as vetted Obersoldaten, fusiliers, hell sometimes even Vet5-Volks. So the reward for unit-preservation on the Allied side pretty much pinnacles around the 15-18 minute-mark.

In contrast to that, OKW-units gain veterancy over a much longer period of the game, increasing the lethality of those units a lot more. This would make sense, if the OKW had infact less units than i.e. the USF. This has an even higher impact considering the USF hardly has any reasonable counters to elite-infantry apart from HE-shells and (some) artillery maybe.

So lets say we would change the vet-modifiers in such a way, that rewards unit preservation more. As an example: reducing the lethality of vet1/2 rifles would slightly reduce USF-midgame capabilities and give axis a better chance to maintain mappresence in the early- to midgame-stage. To even this out the amount of necessary XP to gain Vet3 for a riflesquad would have to be increased while simultaneously increasing its impact on the unit's perfomance (i.e. some kind of armour/received accuracy buff). That way USF basic infantry would stay more competitve in the lategame without improving its early-game lethality.

Something similiar could be achieved by adjusting the OKW's veterancy accordingly. Maybe changing it to the standard Vet3-system wouldn't be the worst idea?

tl;dr: Make US/Sov Vet3 harder to get, but be more rewarding. Therefore reward unit-preservation more and increase allied lategame-competitiveness without introducing new units/making axis-units useless.

(I am around #30 with all factions, slightly prefering axis design-wise in case of fanboyism-accusations)

I think Vet 3 LMG Grens are the most scariest units right now as they turn into obersoldaten or should I say seems better than obers :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★