Login

russian armor

Let's talk Soviet faction.

20 Sep 2014, 01:54 AM

Topic 1 Conscripts

So after playing as Ost for three days and Soviet for three days I find conscripts pretty underwhelming. In my game as Ost, the conscripts are now better for the first few fights against the grens but once the LMG42 start appearing the conscripts have no real purpose except Merging, AT nade(around the corner) and getting thrashed by HMG42. Same experience when I played as Soviet. The LMG42 just allows the grenadiere to dominate the conscripts. PPSH is the saving grace but it's not in every doctrine except for a few worth using like Soviet Reserve army, Advanced Warfare and Soviet Shock Army. The main cause of this is the received accuracy modifier. While I like this modifier to simulate the poorly-trained/average soldier, it's just plain unfair that Soviets have to bench(sacrifice) the conscripts later in the game and rely on Guards and Shocks.

What I propose is to give the Soviets conscripts something to fight back.

#1 PPS43 SMG
Giving 3 PPS43 SMG to the conscripts to boost their fighting power at close range. If you're wondering where I got this idea it's from Red Orchestra 2. I got killed by this thing more than by the PPSH41 or grenades.

#2 DP28
Give one DP28 to conscripts. Can be implemented in 2 ways;
a) Weapon upgrade that will cost ammo to get.
b) Upgrade through a building like COH1 BAR and every current and future squad will have a DP28 (Which makes sense since the DP28 was cheap to manufacture and the Soviets ought to have a lot of factories producing small arms).

#3 SVT40
Give 2/3 SVT to the conscripts for mid range buff.

Topic 2 Maxims 1910 HMG

In the games as Ost, the Maxims are plain useless against my grenadiere. I find that the MG42 just dominates in suppression and as a Machinegun. I take it that it's this way because of the received accuracy modifier on the grenadiere that the suppression is so little? If it's gonna be kept this way then we should consider buffing the maxim to have better AOE suppression and slightly bigger arc. I do not intend to revive the Maxim spam for those players (which I feel they went over to Ost to spam the 3x more reliable MG42, makes all the German players look bad in the eyes of others).

I'm not going to go over USF, it's even more of a mess than the Soviets are.

Before anyone goes around calling me an allied/Soviet fanboy, take note I'm an Ostheer player mainly with an almost equal number of games as Soviet.

Topic 3 Penal Battalion

I find that the penals role overlap with conscripts by fighting mid range. Why not buff them to be slightly better at long range since those are actually trained officers(trained officers=trained soldiers :)) stripped of their ranks and sent to take impossible missions.
20 Sep 2014, 01:57 AM

Permanently Banned
I think if cons where at least 2/3rds the usefullness and okw volks. Alot of the problems would disappear. That being said. i think that soviet tiers need price reduction.
20 Sep 2014, 02:06 AM

I think your problem with the maxim is that you're using it to support your conscripts, not replace them. Just build like 3-4 maxims and 1-2 cons and things will come together. Maxims aren't great against blobs but they can 1v1 grens quite well, and they cost the same as grens, so why not?

There, I solved both of your issues :foreveralone:

An upgrade on cons probably is never going to happen this late. : (

As long as we're floating fantasy ideas, I motion that since cons are NOT supposed to scale, then surely they should become cheaper than grens in late game? I think the soviets should get a research option in their HQ that unlocks late game, where you pay maybe a small amount of munitions or fuel to drastically reduce the cost of conscripts. It's weird having cons cost the same as grens and penals costing even more with such dramatic differences in scaling.

20 Sep 2014, 02:10 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Heh, maybe on a new commander they could add a new ability at 8cps that calls in a conscript squad for free, with a 90 second cooldown. Would be interesting.
20 Sep 2014, 02:12 AM

I think your problem with the maxim is that you're using it to support your conscripts, not replace them. Just build like 3-4 maxims and 1-2 cons and things will come together. Maxims aren't great against blobs but they can 1v1 grens quite well, and they cost the same as grens, so why not?

There, I solved both of your issues :foreveralone:

An upgrade on cons probably is never going to happen this late. : (

As long as we're floating fantasy ideas, I motion that since cons are NOT supposed to scale, then surely they should become cheaper than grens in late game? I think the soviets should get a research option in their HQ that unlocks late game, where you pay maybe a small amount of munitions or fuel to drastically reduce the cost of conscripts. It's weird having cons cost the same as grens and penals costing even more with such dramatic differences in scaling.

If that is the case we ought to call the Maxims, LMG squads if they're gonna be the main attacking force. :snfCHVGame:
20 Sep 2014, 02:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 02:12 AMsteel
If that is the case we ought to call the Maxims, LMG squads if they're gonna be the main attacking force. :snfCHVGame:

I think soviets are doomed to remain a weird faction that relies on HMG spam and sniper spam and stuff like that.

Peter Qumsieh stated in a stream recently that he feels conscripts are currently in a good place so any changes on that account are unlikely, at least I think.

Probably best to just wait for mods for a different take on the faction.

If I get around to it, and if they get around to making mod tools, I want to make a "CoH2: 1944" edition that just adjusts the game to center more around one particular year. So cons get replaced by some sort of soviet riflemen unit, T34-85 is non-doc, replace maxim with a normal HMG, make soviet tiers work like OH tiers, etc. Change up the commanders so that there are only 3-6 for each faction. Well, it's a dream at least.

20 Sep 2014, 02:28 AM

I think soviets are doomed to remain a weird faction that relies on HMG spam and sniper spam and stuff like that.

Peter Qumsieh stated in a stream recently that he feels conscripts are currently in a good place so any changes on that account are unlikely, at least I think.

If I get around to it, and if they get around to making mod tools, I want to make a "CoH2: 1944" edition that just adjusts the game to center more around one particular year. So cons get replaced by some sort of soviet riflemen unit, T34-85 is non-doc, replace maxim with a normal HMG, make soviet tiers work like OH tiers, etc. Change up the commanders so that there are only 3-6 for each faction. Well, it's a dream at least.

Sdouns like a nice mod actually.
20 Sep 2014, 02:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 01:54 AMsteel
Topic 1 Conscripts

#2 DP28
Give one DP28 to conscripts. Can be implemented in 2 ways;
a) Weapon upgrade that will cost ammo to get.

This exists in the game's localization files for displaying upgrade information.

11025821 Conscript DP-28 LMG Package

Whether we'll ever see it, or it's actually coded in, I don't know.
20 Sep 2014, 05:19 AM

but they have merge. it is the most OP ability in the game. They should continue to be the way they are
20 Sep 2014, 05:21 AM
20 Sep 2014, 05:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 05:19 AMNinjaWJ
but they have merge. it is the most OP ability in the game. They should continue to be the way they are

Yeah, you can win games just M-moving. :lolol:
20 Sep 2014, 06:11 AM

I think Conscripts should have the ppsh upgrade after they get their T3 or T4 building, and have dp28s as an doctrine ability or have it the other way around.

I just wish Relic gave conscripts normal grenades instead of cocktails. Penals are fine because of satchel charges and flame thrower they have a role against bunkers and buildings.

Maxims were fine before the Relic patched it too stop retreating after losing the gunner. Now Maxims have less a chance of escaping. However, I also want to see Maxims do less damage but have a little more suppression seems in the data it has less suppression than mg42. Although, I do sometimes see the MG42 not suppression units at all after a few bursts, it's either yellow cover is very effective or there is something about hills in this game.
20 Sep 2014, 06:19 AM

Cons should have a upragde, a couple of svt to fit scale better.
20 Sep 2014, 06:23 AM

If Cons get AI upgrade buff then so should Volks.
20 Sep 2014, 06:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 06:23 AMHitman5
If Cons get AI upgrade buff then so should Volks.

No, volks are fine they can have at weapens and vet 5. they scale better than any core infantry in late and mid game.
20 Sep 2014, 06:43 AM

No, volks are fine they can have at weapens and vet 5. they scale better than any core infantry in late and mid game.

Those rifles with m1919s scale so poorly.
20 Sep 2014, 06:44 AM

faloks its non regular army and when they have 5 stars vet u cant counter by another infantry. to many health for this guys
20 Sep 2014, 06:48 AM

VOlks have schrecks, which is a big threat to any Allied vehicle. I would say they scale fin.

Just remove the recieved accuracy penalty as a small change, but they should have something for the late game. No, that does not mean they will rape Grens. A vet 3 health boost or something a long those lines could be nice.
20 Sep 2014, 06:57 AM

To my mind, the Soviets need a complete faction redesign.

Relic needs to throw out everything and start again.

The units it has are fine, but the way they are balanced and tiered and called in are just plain stupid.

Relic has the tools, but does it have the backbone?
20 Sep 2014, 07:33 AM

Don't worry, Peter Quimsieh said that pioneers are working as intended when they were able to beat gaurds and conscripts with ease, said shocks in an M3 to counter pioneers, don't count on what he says to be final, at all.

Conscripts and penals troops have been since forever in a dire need for some way to make them scale better. I don't know what exactly, but their state at the moment is just pathetic.

No infantry in the history of coh 2 has been as scaleless as conscripts or penals.

Even coh 1 volks were better.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS