Login

russian armor

Con Spam vs OKW

31 Aug 2014, 14:41 PM

Permanently Banned
Hey,

Ive been reading time and time again that conscripts are quite weak when facing the OKW and also got the impression myself that i have less problems fighting cons than say a sniper or (ugh) maxim-heavy strat.

People also often complain about (the intended) bad scaling of regular conscripts.

However: Might picking a commander with access to PPSh-41 negate this problem and make a viable strat out of conspam vs the OKW? I just like the versatility of conscripts a lot and since there are quite a lot of commanders with access to PPsh-41's you'd still have the option to support them with guards or shocks if necessary or go with a t34-85 callin later on.

Obersoldaten might be a problem later on but you could get a unit to counter them and support your cons (even snipers or maxims).

Am I missing something why this wont work? Will the OKW elite infantry still outclass my conscripts by such a large margin that the reliance on them will make me lose the game?
31 Aug 2014, 16:06 PM

I actually think massed, well microed Cons are extremely effective against OKW for most of the game. They beat Volks at all ranges, and 2 Cons can easily focus down a Sturmpioneer squad before taking any real damage. Molotovs make flanking MGs effective, and AT grenades deal significant damage to OKW light vehicles (2 can kill a Flak HT, which would otherwise counter Cons).

The only point where Cons start to suffer is when T3 comes, since Obersoldaten and the Luchs are very nasty against light infantry. IMO the best solution to this is simply rushing a T34, which Obers are helpless against. At that point, the only concern should be something like a Panther, but if you can take map control you should have plenty of time to prepare.

I don't think PPSHs are neccessary, but they do help Cons remain relevant a bit later in the game (since you can kind of swarm 4-man elite squads). The most important thing for Con-heavy strats is just being careful, not blobbing, exploiting flanking angles and harassing enemy resource points/cut-offs.

Probably the best commander for this sort of playstyle is Advanced Warfare. PPSH Cons with no tech (or maybe T2 for Zis Guns if needed), followed by T34-85 spam.
1 Sep 2014, 01:36 AM

I actually think massed, well microed Cons are extremely effective against OKW for most of the game. They beat Volks at all ranges, and 2 Cons can easily focus down a Sturmpioneer squad before taking any real damage. Molotovs make flanking MGs effective, and AT grenades deal significant damage to OKW light vehicles (2 can kill a Flak HT, which would otherwise counter Cons).

The only point where Cons start to suffer is when T3 comes, since Obersoldaten and the Luchs are very nasty against light infantry. IMO the best solution to this is simply rushing a T34, which Obers are helpless against. At that point, the only concern should be something like a Panther, but if you can take map control you should have plenty of time to prepare.

I don't think PPSHs are neccessary, but they do help Cons remain relevant a bit later in the game (since you can kind of swarm 4-man elite squads). The most important thing for Con-heavy strats is just being careful, not blobbing, exploiting flanking angles and harassing enemy resource points/cut-offs.

Probably the best commander for this sort of playstyle is Advanced Warfare. PPSH Cons with no tech (or maybe T2 for Zis Guns if needed), followed by T34-85 spam.

Cons better than Volks? Not for me
1 Sep 2014, 02:52 AM

Conspam is good until Okw hits 1 CP ( aka mg34 spam ) or t4 hits the field
1 Sep 2014, 07:21 AM
Patrion 15

Cons better than Volks? Not for me

Cons beat volks pretty handily unless volks pick up a high DPS weapon.
1 Sep 2014, 08:51 AM

Volks have better max range dps than conscripts, but conscripts win up close, so winning engagements depends on your positioning, among other things.

I've had success with conscripts vs OKW using two different commanders. Here's a nice commander reference guide made by our community.

The first, one I hadn't used in a long time until recently is Guards Rifle Combined Arms Tactics (Guards, Hit the Dirt, PPSH, howitzer, IL2 strafe).

The build is 3x Conscript, t1 for either sniper or m3, 1 or 2 guards, t4 for Su85s and Kats.

As stated, the build revolves around Combined Arms. Earlygame requires smart use of the 3 conscripts to pick fights where you will win or harass territory if they're bunched up. Conscripts succeed by doubling up vs 1 squad, using buildings, getting up close to volks, cutting off, whatever they can do to stall for the first fight or two.
The engineer caps one point and then builds t1 so you can have a sniper or flamer m3 to support the conscripts. The m3 isnt as timid vs OKW as it is vs Wehr's panzerfausts, so you can push back volk and sturm alike until they upgrade a shreck or get a raketenwerfer, in which case the m3 is maneuverable enough to flank or harass other spots.
You only really need 1 sniper, just enough to pick off charging sturms and spot/harass HMGs so conscripts can flank. Hit the dirt has its uses, and can help stall while the sniper picks off important targets. Then guards come in to help hold ground and solidify your combined arms. This build doesn't really let you spam mines because you have to save up munis for some guards and PPSHs for conscripts.
This grants a pretty good early midgame with this build, though, because empowered conscripts, a sniper, and guards work pretty well together vs OKW. The build is mobile enough to dodge IFGs, capable enough to compete with OKW midgame infantry, and versatile enough to hold off light vehicles. OKW structures have counters in the form of the Katyusha, SU85, and ML-20 (I dare you to put down a forward HQ!).
Vs the terror of OKW lategame the sniper (with vet1 sprint he's hard to kill) and IL2 can help support conscripts and guards vs Obers and blobs. Also, Su85s and guards are still a very potent combo vs heavy vehicles, especially if you can keep an SU85 alive to vet 3 for that insane rate of fire! No flashy tanks, though. Most importantly, the build is fun to use because I sure don't see it too often lately.

As for other conscript-centric builds I enjoy counterattack tactics a lot. On maps like Stalingrad I avoid maxims and try to outmaneuver and harass with conscripts using molotovs until you get shocks, which is where the tide turns. If you haven't tried the KV-1 in a while you should, it's not useless like it was initially. It has awesome armor and a decent gun, so it's good as a frontline tank coordinating with other armor or AT, not attempting to solo lategame armor. Use it with Su85s, Zis, or flanking t34s because it can survive frontal engagements while other units support it.

Got kinda off-topic but I do think a 3 or 4 conscript start does have a place vs OKW with the right support.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★