Login

russian armor

The problems with OKW.

4 Jul 2014, 07:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 06:02 AMNapalm

The only weakness I've identified in the OKW game play is if you are able to destroy one of their trucks. They will be unable to field a King Tiger but could still go for the 13CP Jagdtiger.

Heh.

This isn't even true.

If you build each truck once and lose them all you can still build the King Tiger. You only need to have built the truck in the past to "qualify" for the King Tiger.

Anyways, get some good sniper players in your clan. They're hell on earth to kill as OKW. M3A1 provides exceptional early game power. Tier 1 into Tier 2 into Call-ins is really strong against OKW.
4 Jul 2014, 07:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 07:12 AMNapalm
VonIvan; 3v3 and 4v4. Yes, the blacksheep of game modes. 2v2 is still a struggle but what I described above is accurate for the larger game modes.

Ah, then that is quite a different sphere, but, from what you've described, it is 100% true there. 3v3 and 4v4, especially with the super tanks at their disposal, is definitely in favor of OKW, because not only do the larger maps make it easier for the OKW to acquire resources and have an economy almost similar to that of the enemy, which, in truth it should still be 2/3 like in 1v1 and 2v2, so obviously it's a lot easier now for them to produce mass elite inf blobs and super heavy tanks. This then allows them to easily dominate the 3v3 and 4v4 sphere.
4 Jul 2014, 07:28 AM

If you'd like to try the wild side of things VonIvan please consider this a cordial invite to hunt with us this Saturday after the state of the bearunion meeting. Perhaps you may have some tricks up your sleeves.
4 Jul 2014, 07:29 AM

Heh.

This isn't even true.

If you build each truck once and lose them all you can still build the King Tiger. You only need to have built the truck in the past to "qualify" for the King Tiger.

Well that description on the trucks is very misleading than. When you have a B4 we have always been calling the trucks as primary targets in order to prevent the King Tiger.
4 Jul 2014, 07:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 07:28 AMNapalm
If you'd like to try the wild side of things VonIvan please consider this a cordial invite to hunt with us this Saturday after the state of the bearunion meeting. Perhaps you may have some tricks up your sleeves.

Mmmm, long as I don't have anything to tend to that day I'd be glad to join the pack in some marvelous slaughtering friendly bear fighting, of other animals. My instincts are always on par, as are my magic tricks. May the Cage be with us that day.
4 Jul 2014, 07:40 AM

Destroying trucks is a huge blow. Loss of tech and additional bonuses like auto repairs, medics, etc.

I am sort of shocked you consider the King Tiger such a threat. SU-85 has greater range and vision than it and is faster than it. A single SU-85 can keep KT at bay.

That's little use on a map like Ettelbruck but...
4 Jul 2014, 07:49 AM

Like you brought up in the other thread Corp.Shephard the OKW really shine on some maps. The SU85 is very challenged at the best of times to hold a KT at bay. Its like poking a hungry bear with a stick.
4 Jul 2014, 08:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 04:28 AMCieZ
The weak point of OKW in my opinion is that they cannot easily attain a critical mass of AI units. They're swimming in AT options with Schrecks on Volks, Puma, Panther, Jagdpanzer4, Raketen.

Give Volks option for MP40 upgrade- problem solved (maybe)?

Anyway changing subject the whole tier structure of OKW is really odd. T1 has a 135 fuel tank killer, T2 has a lower quality AT unit, and T3 has a heavy duty tank destroyer (Panther). I haven't used the Jagdpanzer yet but it seems like the Panther completely outclasses it except the fact its just a tad more expensive. Also the Panzer 2 and German AA seem really odd since they both fill basically the same role with one being slightly more durable yet slightly more expensive. Heres an idea:

T1- Puma, Spotter HT, Field Gun
T2- Jagdpanzer (reduce cost), Stuka, Panzer 2 (increase durability)
T3- Panzer 4 (added in place of flak, and retiered), Sturm Tiger, Panther, Obersoldaten

Pretty much the only reason to choose a flak instead of Pz2 is to shoot down planes, but OKW already has doctrinal field defense AA, base AA, and T3 truck AA. They don't need 4 options imo.
4 Jul 2014, 08:27 AM

as soviet 2v2, i have problems not so much with OKW tanks but more with their indirect firepower. especially on maps like semosky winter, tanks cant flank because of the ice and they are usually well entrenched behind buildings.

any support teams are usually under pressure from infantry support guns. then stuka usually seals the deal and all support teams are usually wiped out by the stuka because OKWdaeliteforces,needs the best of evreything, even artillery. while his mate holds the line with direct fire units.

then it drags on to jadgtigers and its usually a gg there.

my gripe is with stukas. the main form of soviet AT power is AT guns, it has been always that way, as alaways been during the time of elefants vs isu152 t3485 loses power over the long run against heavier tanks.

for soviets to have any hope of taking down supported elefants/jadgs, its always isu152 to draw fire and bait the jagd/elefant to over extend, then use AT guns to smack it while t34/85 comes from another angle to hit its rear.

it has worked back then, because artillery was not facerape like the stuka is.
4 Jul 2014, 08:30 AM

playing this game since beta last year
mostly play 3v3 and 4v4, and mostly as soviets due to queue times

tried OKW for the first time yesterday (couple 3v3 maps)
they are by far the strongest faction ever!
i had an easy time even when figuring out how to play them.

and believe me, i made many bad decisions playing OKW

ohyeh queues are 80% axis, so 20% are too stubborn to change faction or don't know any better

and superior units for higher cost has screwed over 3v3+ balance since last year and okw is even worse in that respect. your not limited by resources but by popcap and okw is mighty strong at popcap.

and its not just resources, to more camping the better for axis
4 Jul 2014, 08:41 AM

Anyway changing subject the whole tier structure of OKW is really odd. T1 has a 135 fuel tank killer, T2 has a lower quality AT unit, and T3 has a heavy duty tank destroyer (Panther). I haven't used the Jagdpanzer yet but it seems like the Panther completely outclasses it except the fact its just a tad more expensive. Also the Panzer 2 and German AA seem really odd since they both fill basically the same role with one being slightly more durable yet slightly more expensive. Heres an idea:

T1- Puma, Spotter HT, Field Gun
T2- Jagdpanzer (reduce cost), Stuka, Panzer 2 (increase durability)
T3- Panzer 4 (added in place of flak, and retiered), Sturm Tiger, Panther, Obersoldaten

Pretty much the only reason to choose a flak instead of Pz2 is to shoot down planes, but OKW already has doctrinal field defense AA, base AA, and T3 truck AA. They don't need 4 options imo.

Jagdpanzer vs Panther: Jagdpanzer has more range and fires faster, more accurately, for less resources. Panther is still a bad choice for any situation in 1vs1, only useful in large team games where durability and ease of use outweight bad cost performance.

Panzer 2 is very similar, it's slightly more durable and a lot more mobile and a hell of a lot less cost effective. It has bad damage against all units and no suppression, and less range. In 1vs1 you should never even consider Pz2, just go for the flak HT instead.

Placing puma in T1 with ISG would mean OKW gets every single unit they actually need from T0+T1.
4 Jul 2014, 09:22 AM
Patrion 14

Anyways, get some good sniper players in your clan. They're hell on earth to kill as OKW. M3A1 provides exceptional early game power. Tier 1 into Tier 2 into Call-ins is really strong against OKW.

not in 3v3+ at least. as allies in 3v3+, maxim spam is just so much better than sniper for two reasons.
1.maxim will hold off units/late-game blobs entire game.
2. when one goes sov snipers, his partner will bleed all the manpower and can be quiet challenging for the bleeder. snipers can get easily flanked by falls in most maps and get sniped by a lot of long range dps that many many german units have. not to mention snipers are just aweful in so many maps due to forest, buildings, and other features that makes too many maps cluster-f-ed.

@napalm.

t2 and t4 combo for soviet works wonders in conjunction with USF. riflemen is a solid mainline infantry, sherman is a very good mainline tank.

last 3v3 game i had all the enemies were OKWs. so i got atg then 2 katusha then atg then katusha before going for su85. due to the campy nature of OKW, katusha will do wonders. just relocate them after barrages and watch pathetic walking stukas try to gib your katushas.

in many games i feel except in big open maps like steppes, it comes down to artillery wars. especially because of forward retreating points.
4 Jul 2014, 09:26 AM

OKW are at some point broken as fuuck, i mean volks schreck upgrade costs 100 ammo, you get 1 schreck and coldressi (wtf wy does OKW need coldressi and not the wehrmacht wich invaded russia in the coldes winter since 1900?) US get 2 for 120 ammo, just like the panzergrens.

The other thing is, if u destroy a HQ u have to rebuild it with the same ammount of fuell, US captns just cost for one time fuell an after that just a bit MP.

OKW got a big problem from soviet rushing T34, they have at this early point (~15min) nothing vs 2 T34, u cant aford 100ammo for 1 schreck, cuz u need ammo for granads vs the maxim spam. AT rockets are nice, but with the lack of frontal armor they just get wiped out with 1-2 shoots from the t34, also with the lack of range and radius.
The jgpanzer4 is usefull at this point, but easy to counter with a ziz

The OKW need some medium Tank like the PZ4 (mby the panzer 3 m? :)) to handle the early tanks like T34 and shermens, or seperate the coldressi and schrecks and give them also 2 for 120ammo
4 Jul 2014, 09:34 AM

Why would you complain on AT options as OKW? I think they got too many.
Puma alone is able to handle every tank SU is able to throw at you. It hard counters SU-85, can go toe to toe with T-34 and circle around IS-2 because IS-2 turret can't keep up.
4 Jul 2014, 09:43 AM

Well then i do somthing wrong with the pumas, they have nice range,yes, but miss every second shoot. Doesn´t have the amount of armor like the t34 and get fucked even from mortars
4 Jul 2014, 09:43 AM

bugge,

jagdpanzer is like a zis, but much better, use it like that

and you're right about pumas t34 is stronger, but puma has the snipe range and is nimble

4 Jul 2014, 09:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 09:43 AMBuggeX
Well then i do somthing wrong with the pumas, they have nice range,yes, but miss every second shoot. Doesn´t have the amount of armor like the t34 and get fucked even from mortars

I don't know if this one still works but if it does, watch it.

4 Jul 2014, 09:52 AM

I don't know if this one still works but if it does, watch it.

ty sir,
will risk a watch later, after work :)
4 Jul 2014, 11:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 09:43 AMbogeuh
bugge,

jagdpanzer is like a zis, but much better, use it like that

and you're right about pumas t34 is stronger, but puma has the snipe range and is nimble

Yeah, it's like a mobile zis but I'm still not a fan of the unit. I'd prefer a Pz IV style unit.

My unit preservation skills have gone up considerably since playing as OKW, a necessity I guess. I just wish the faction wasn't so punishing, losing a squad of upgraded grens/fusiliers is a high price and losing just one panther can be game over against an american player.

OKW has some of the best units in the game but it's also the most punishing when mistakes are made.
4 Jul 2014, 11:40 AM

Yeah, it's like a mobile zis but I'm still not a fan of the unit. I'd prefer a Pz IV style unit.

My unit preservation skills have gone up considerably since playing as OKW, a necessity I guess. I just wish the faction wasn't so punishing, losing a squad of upgraded grens/fusiliers is a high price and losing just one panther can be game over against an american player.

OKW has some of the best units in the game but it's also the most punishing when mistakes are made.

Exactly. With OKW eather you really know "how to" eather you quit playing this faction. Is the most tactical/strategical demanding faction.
Reason for wich I don't understand all these whinings against it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Netherlands 22
Russian Federation 95
Germany 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak