Login

russian armor

Requirements for auto-download custom maps

28 Jun 2014, 13:16 PM

Within the new public lobbies it appears that custom maps are automatically downloaded by all who join the game.

When trying a map of mine with some friends it didn't work, despite being fully up to date on the workshop. It was easy enough to get around the issue, guiding them through to manually download the map from the workshop, and then it worked fine. However this does remove the possibility of hosting a game and seeing how strangers fare.

After swapping the lobby to a different custom map, created by someone else, the auto download worked fine; I doubt it is an issue with me hosting.

So are there any requirements for the map to auto-download for members of the lobby?
28 Jun 2014, 18:13 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Have you tried hosting a copy of your map downloaded from the WorkShop?
28 Jun 2014, 21:32 PM

No luck, unfortunately.
29 Jun 2014, 11:14 AM

Permanently Banned
Im having the exact same problem: It appears that you are not allowed to host your own maps. Any workshop map is autodownloaded when I host it, except the ones I created. When a friend hosts them they (usually but not always) work as long as Im not in the lobby.
30 Jun 2014, 09:40 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

There must be something going on with detecting a Workshop map. When someone else hosts your map they actually host the map which is downloaded from the Workshop. If you are hosting your own map, you are most likely hosting the one exported locally from the WorldBuilder. That's why I suggested to try hosting a map which has been downloaded from the Workshop, instead of hosting the local export of your map.

I've had some trouble with hosting my map in the lobby. I'm going to try hosting a Workshop version of it.
30 Jun 2014, 12:11 PM

Permanently Banned
There must be something going on with detecting a Workshop map. When someone else hosts your map they actually host the map which is downloaded from the Workshop. If you are hosting your own map, you are most likely hosting the one exported locally from the WorldBuilder. That's why I suggested to try hosting a map which has been downloaded from the Workshop, instead of hosting the local export of your map.

I've had some trouble with hosting my map in the lobby. I'm going to try hosting a Workshop version of it.

That makes sense, so should we delete our local map files and then try hosting the map after subscribing?
30 Jun 2014, 12:54 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 12:11 PMI<444>3CoH

That makes sense, so should we delete our local map files and then try hosting the map after subscribing?

That doesent seem to work btw: I deleted all files from \Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\scenarios, except for the subscription folder. Whenever I start the game it automatically restores the .sga's of the maps made by me, even if i unsubscribed them. People still cannot auto-download them in my lobby

Can you host your own maps Janne?
30 Jun 2014, 13:11 PM

I did try that. I moved all workshop files elsewhere and deleted the map file exported from the worldbuilder. After downloading the map from the workshop again it still failed to work.
1 Jul 2014, 09:56 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I've tested this with my laptop and desktop combination. Only Workshop maps created by others will start downloading at the laptop I join to my game.

The fact that the exported version of your map re-appears in C:\Users\Janne\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mods\scenarios most likely causes this, as it's not a Workshop map and thus has no encoded information or anything.

That's why any map located in C:\Users\Janne\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mods\scenarios\subscriptions can be hosted and will download for others. For some reason the one in scenarios folder overrides the Workshop version and it's treated as local map.

SOLVED!

How to host your own maps:

1. Export your map in the WorldBuilder
2. Publish it normally
3. Exit COH2
4. Change your map's name to something else so you can tell the difference between 2 copies of it, e.g. "mapname" -> "mapname 2"
5. Export that map again
6. Login to another Steam account which has COH2 or use family share OR ask your friend to do it.
7. Subscribe to your recently published map
8. Grab the downloaded .sga file ( it will be hard to know which one is it, as all Workshop maps have 9 numbers in their name. Look for one with (almost) identical file size as your recently exported map. Another method is to open the .sga file in notepad++ / hex editor, as you can locate readable text in the beginning of the file. Example:
Code
scenarios\mp scenarios\mp\community scenarios\mp\community\4p_riflenadetrickshot 4p_riflenadetrickshot.info

9. Copy this map to your subscription folder. Subscribing to your own maps wont do this!
10. Host the new copied map. It should automatically download to other players! (Don't host the one with the new edited name. The map name was edited so that you can now tell whih one is the "offical" Workshop map.)
1 Jul 2014, 17:42 PM

Thank you!
Works great.

Seems a bit odd that the file downloaded from your own workshop is different, I wonder if this is unique to coh or if it is a universal workshop thing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★