Login

russian armor

Why so many Axis Lovers?

27 Jun 2014, 16:20 PM

People play axis for these reasons:

Wermacht - Because they're designed well and well thought out - unlike the Soviet faction which is poorly designed and poorly thought out (hence why the Soviet faction has to be buffed so much as its that badly designed nobody would play them).

OKW - The faction currently has more powerful units that are OP in comparison to the US - however in this case BOTH US and OKW factions are poorly designed - hence when they DO nerf OKW, you'll see more US faction players in relation.

People play either with a faction that makes sense (Wermacht) or a faction that's OP (OKW/Soviet).

That's all.
27 Jun 2014, 16:37 PM

1ºQuality over Quantity
2ºUniforms
3ºBeautiful tanks
4ºIn-game voices
5ºTheme
6ºPAK43
27 Jun 2014, 17:50 PM

Sympathy for the loser.
27 Jun 2014, 18:01 PM

In CoH2, Wehrmacht has always been the easier faction to play.

Not necessarily the most powerful. But the easiest.
27 Jun 2014, 18:08 PM

Who wouldn't want to play with superhero units? That is the OKW army in a nut shell.

You want the best tank in the game? They've got that
You want infantry with laser rifles? They've got that too
You like explosion? Their half track will rock your monitor so hard your skull will explode
Up close battle your thing? Oh yea, they've got that with the Strumpio's first thing in the game.
27 Jun 2014, 18:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2014, 18:08 PMNapalm
Who wouldn't want to play with superhero units? That is the OKW army in a nut shell.

You want the best tank in the game? They've got that
You want infantry with laser rifles? They've got that too
You like explosion? Their half track will rock your monitor so hard your skull will explode
Up close battle your thing? Oh yea, they've got that with the Strumpio's first thing in the game.

Frustration can be high in people sometimes.
It's not a superhero thing or something. German army had the best trained troops, the best organized units, the best machines. And Relic just respected the hystorical truth. Be a man and get over it.
27 Jun 2014, 19:20 PM

It's not a superhero thing or something. German army had the best trained troops, the best organized units, the best machines. And Relic just respected the hystorical truth. Be a man and get over it.

That is highly untrue. Many of the german tank on the western front after Normandy were poorly trained (often due to fuel shortages). The wehrmacht had significantly less mechanization than the brits or americans, and often still had to haul artillery and supplies around by horse! In terms of equipment on paper the Panther tank (standard medium tank on the western front post normandy) suffered approx 4x as much breakdowns as the Sherman. The Axis lost every one of their tank offensives on the western front (avranches, lorraine, ardennes. And they lost much of those battles without allied air support. Their K/D ratios are often inflated because they were typically on the defensive, whenever panthers attacked defending shermans, panther losses were much higher than sherman losses.

USA had better semi auto rifle and better SMG. Germans had better HMG. Much of the german infantry in late 1944 was of mixed quality. Newly trained replacements were often much more poorly trained then new american/brit replacements.

As for "leet troop" british commandos, american paras and rangers, were every bit the match or more for german fallischerms/and elite SS regiments.

So in reality germans had some better equipment, some better trained men. There was very little that was elite about the worn down Whermact in 1944. Strategically, the allies had better tanks. You could aruge their combat competency but when only 2/3s of a panther regiment is ever functioning how can you really say the panther was better?
27 Jun 2014, 20:12 PM

Do that many people hate USA?

Is your motivation to play Allies that you hate Germany?
27 Jun 2014, 20:16 PM

Lol i love when i see this. Currently I am searching at 50/50. Before it was 12% germans 78% allies... Just stop creating these stupid posts.
27 Jun 2014, 20:26 PM
27 Jun 2014, 20:53 PM

That is highly untrue. Many of the german tank on the western front after Normandy were poorly trained (often due to fuel shortages). The wehrmacht had significantly less mechanization than the brits or americans, and often still had to haul artillery and supplies around by horse! In terms of equipment on paper the Panther tank (standard medium tank on the western front post normandy) suffered approx 4x as much breakdowns as the Sherman. The Axis lost every one of their tank offensives on the western front (avranches, lorraine, ardennes. And they lost much of those battles without allied air support. Their K/D ratios are often inflated because they were typically on the defensive, whenever panthers attacked defending shermans, panther losses were much higher than sherman losses.

German army werent that bad when they fought the western allies in 1943-1945.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge
Battle of the Bulge:
US Army losses: 89,500 and 800 tanks.
Wehrmacht losses: 67,200–100,000 killed, missing, captured, or wounded and 600 tanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nordwind
Operation Nordwind:
US army losses: 29,000
Wehrmacht losses: 23,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_H%C3%BCrtgen_Forest
Battle of Hürtgen Forest:
US army losses: 33,000
Wehrmacht losses: 28,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Queen
Operation Queen:
US army losses: 38,500 and 340 tanks.
Wehrmacht: more or less equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino
Battle of Monte Cassino
Allied losses: 55,000
Wehrmacht losses: 20,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Shingle#Initial_Landings
Battle of Anzio
Allied losses: 43,000
Wehrmacht losses: 40,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Overlord
Operation Overlord
Allied losses: 226,386, 4,101 planes, 4,000 tanks
Wehrmacht losses: 400,000-450,000(mostly of them prisoners who were captured), 2,127 planes, 2,200 tanks

There were also minor battles inside germany where some small forces of the wehrmacht archived great results against the US army for example some Jagdtiger battle groups were very effective against US tanks and destroyed many of them.

27 Jun 2014, 21:02 PM

I only play the Germans because they have the best uniforms and are just more fun to play. I also don't like Russians and Americans personally, so I dread the thought of actually playing as them in a game. If Relic added the French Army or British Army to CoH2 then I would most likely only play those factions, and thus stop playing as the Germans.
27 Jun 2014, 21:07 PM

In the general rules of war you need to out number the the defensive side 1 to 3 and the Germans were masters of defence, so you cant really use those battles where the Germans were on the defence. The problem is that most people tend to be too focused on the tactics of WW2 than over all picture, you could look at it like:
The Germans won almost every firefight
They won most battles
When it came to operations it was a mixed bag
They lost on every front
The suffered a crushing defeat at the end of the war

In other words they had horrible capping skills!
27 Jun 2014, 21:19 PM

Here is a thread for Off topic WW2 stuff. Eventually threads get locked for it so it might as well go here:

http://www.coh2.org/topic/18732/general-world-war-2-discussion-thread/page/1#post_id171420
27 Jun 2014, 21:27 PM
Patrion 14

The German military has the following going for it:

* The most quixotically technically advanced weapons and kit of WW2

* A doomed black-clad death cult that makes the Space Marines look like the cast of 'Rent'

* The guilty pleasure of playing the villain

Personally I like the cigar-chomping good ol' boy stereotype of the cowboy American general and the stiff-upper lipped Brit but I'm in my mid-forties and grew up on war movies.

* shrugs *

27 Jun 2014, 22:23 PM

In the general rules of war you need to out number the the defensive side 1 to 3 and the Germans were masters of defence, so you cant really use those battles where the Germans were on the defence.

Allies had also massive Support and supplies while Germans were often completely on there own without much ressources.
And all this defensive Battles were full of german counterattacks.
27 Jun 2014, 22:31 PM

Look at all the avatars! We're all Nazis!

For god sake relax people, it's a video game. People are going around acting like choosing to play Axis in CoH and having a forum signature equates to voluntarily signing up to be a guard at Treblinka.

As an aside...we all have fantasies of overcoming improbable, ridiculous odds in a vain attempt at self-realization. That's why movies like 300, Remember the Titans and Gladiator are so popular and almost universally applauded...It's in us to go for the underdog...so in a video game aiming to represent 1944-45 Europe...Germany IS the underdog.
27 Jun 2014, 22:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2014, 22:23 PMAffe

Allies had also massive Support and supplies while Germans were often completely on there own without much ressources.
And all this defensive Battles were full of german counterattacks.

Lol. Reminds me of my favourite old war movie:

1:46 on

27 Jun 2014, 22:39 PM

Lol. Reminds me of my favourite old war movie:

1:46 on

Great movie! Apparently the sequel blew so hard that many have told me NOT to watch it just to keep the memory of Steiner as epic and untainted as possible.
27 Jun 2014, 23:06 PM

Haha yet they lost the WAR

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 98
United States 17
unknown 4
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L