Login

russian armor

Why so many Axis Lovers?

28 Jun 2014, 08:31 AM

There is so much ignorance here that it hurts.
For instance, does someone know what the fuck is with that death's head? That symbol was on the SS troops caps. But it was used by other unit types in wehrmacht, that had nothing to do with SS. That's why they were posted in other locations on your uniform. For instance, a death's hand on your uniform's shoulder stripes meant that you were a tankman.
People are hurrying to judge and accuse. Do you people know that racism or antisemitism are serious accusations? You must know better than stick labels on people because signs you don't know or understand.
Being stupid or uninformed it's not a sin, but being stupid, uninformed AND opening your mouth accusing people it is.
28 Jun 2014, 08:41 AM

That is highly untrue. Many of the german tank on the western front after Normandy were poorly trained (often due to fuel shortages). The wehrmacht had significantly less mechanization than the brits or americans, and often still had to haul artillery and supplies around by horse! In terms of equipment on paper the Panther tank (standard medium tank on the western front post normandy) suffered approx 4x as much breakdowns as the Sherman. The Axis lost every one of their tank offensives on the western front (avranches, lorraine, ardennes. And they lost much of those battles without allied air support. Their K/D ratios are often inflated because they were typically on the defensive, whenever panthers attacked defending shermans, panther losses were much higher than sherman losses.

USA had better semi auto rifle and better SMG. Germans had better HMG. Much of the german infantry in late 1944 was of mixed quality. Newly trained replacements were often much more poorly trained then new american/brit replacements.

As for "leet troop" british commandos, american paras and rangers, were every bit the match or more for german fallischerms/and elite SS regiments.

So in reality germans had some better equipment, some better trained men. There was very little that was elite about the worn down Whermact in 1944. Strategically, the allies had better tanks. You could aruge their combat competency but when only 2/3s of a panther regiment is ever functioning how can you really say the panther was better?

I like it how people are deluding themselves about these discutions. Almost every single german unit/weapon compared to its allied counterpart was better except soldier's case, in 1944 they were to few veteran troops. Panther versus shermann? Don't be ridiculous.
If we talk about numbers or power of production, that is another thing. If I come with 10 shermanns / T34s against a single Panther of course I will win. Germans had quality, Allied compensated by quantity. In a numbers against quality battle I would always put my bet on numbers.
28 Jun 2014, 08:45 AM

Haha yet they lost the WAR

They did. And if you don't understand why, we could make a test 1 v 1 in COH2. You will play germans and be allowed to build 3 infantry units and one panther. I will play russians and I will be allowed to build as much infantry and tanks I like. Who you think will win?;)
28 Jun 2014, 08:54 AM

god naziboos are the most fun to take the piss outta
28 Jun 2014, 09:05 AM

The Matchmaking % indicator means next to nothing.

Its an intermix of weekday, time of day, geographic region, the amount of players in your ELO range at that spedific moment (presumably, not certain), only those not currently in-match, how many even have WF armies, and last and least, any one individuals "preference", which probablynchanges for most players constantlynformmost players as they swapmfaction between matches for some variety. That and we dont knownif the % indicated there is even "real" or foundednat all. Ive had matches start even when the indicatorsays 0%/100%.

If it showed a concrete number of players, like 533/664, Id have some confidence in it, but as it is, its largely as bullshit an indicator asmis countinf the blips on the radar image (Ive counted, they are constant :P)

Dont try to base any arguments on it. Just makes you look like a fool.

Trying to base arguments on it is like looking up at the sky in Mongolia, and trying to argue from that what weather it is like in Brazil.

I dunno if Steam carries any good stats or accurate stats for determining faction preference, but until and if Relic releases any info on it, we just dont have any real evidence for any of it.

Best homemade stats we can determine are from compiling and comparing, for example, the top 10 players preferences, but even those are only representative of a small faction of the community, whom play at a completelyndifferent level than most, and who themselves are also still playing different factions for practice, as well as sometimes focusing on one for longer because something just so happened to catch their interest in it and they want to try it out some more.

This thread, however, is clear evidence of a certain number of idiots here.
28 Jun 2014, 09:28 AM
Patrion 14

The stupidity in this thread is threatening to destroy the internet.
28 Jun 2014, 09:35 AM

Perhaos not the entire internet, but its certainly not doing this site any good.

Maybe its time to put the word "fanboy" on a block list?

Or atleast we can, as a community, ignore anyone who uses it, as its a pretty clear indicator the poster in question is a tard with no interest in respectful or constructive discussion.
28 Jun 2014, 09:39 AM

Look at dis fanboy. He want's to nerf the Allies even more so that he just nees to rightclick to win. Oh wait, you can do this already!

I don't know if you ignored this intentionally or not, but anyway...I should use much larger characters but I can't use but caps lock so here it goes:

IT WAS JUST AN IMAGINATION EXERCISE TO PRACTICALY EXPLAIN MY POINT, HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH NERFING OR BUFFING UNITS, NOTHING TO DO WITH GAME BALANCE OR EVERYTHING.

Get a life.

28 Jun 2014, 09:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2014, 08:54 AMbuckers

Ignorance is a gift. Enjoy it.
28 Jun 2014, 09:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2014, 08:54 AMbuckers

28 Jun 2014, 13:14 PM

There are much simpler answers to the ops question than this whole political discussion.

1) I don´t like the Russian restricting play-style. You either get snipers or antitank guns. If you went for snipers, you pretty much have to go for Guards to not get overrun by vehicles and to not get behind in the fuel race. Later on you either get a mobile tank and a halftrack to reinforce or a tank hunter and rocket artillery. Late game you can choose between artillery and infantry buffs or decent medium tanks or heavy tanks.

And all this already starts when choosing the bulletins. If I already added a T-34/76 bulletin, I feel like I wasted something of my factions potential if I go for the SU-85 (even if the bonus is minimal).

2) Americans are good early to mid game. After that they are a joke.

3) Politics aside: German engineering is cool. Nobody likes the Allied and more so Soviet strategy to throw away men in inadequate tanks versus heavier equipment. "Quantity is a quality of its own." Might be, but now imagine you are sitting in one of those steel coffins and you are praying that that Panther does pick out another tank than yours. Unacceptable.

28 Jun 2014, 13:32 PM

There is so much ignorance here that it hurts.
For instance, does someone know what the fuck is with that death's head? That symbol was on the SS troops caps. But it was used by other unit types in wehrmacht, that had nothing to do with SS. That's why they were posted in other locations on your uniform. For instance, a death's hand on your uniform's shoulder stripes meant that you were a tankman.
People are hurrying to judge and accuse. Do you people know that racism or antisemitism are serious accusations? You must know better than stick labels on people because signs you don't know or understand.
Being stupid or uninformed it's not a sin, but being stupid, uninformed AND opening your mouth accusing people it is.

oh really?

Symbol and context is what counts. Having death's head avatar in a WW2 game forum? Oh i bet it was the old hussar symbol he had in mind right?

In fact you seem to be the one ignorant here
28 Jun 2014, 13:56 PM

Company of Heroes 2 scene in a nutshell:

I guess I understood it in vCOH2. Many soviet units didn't look as good and I could understand that more people could relate to germans rather than soviets.

Since WFA release Axis has generally been 60-80% on the search...
Why is this? Do that many people hate USA?

Start a thread with a provocation or a loaded question. Wait for the usual people to join who focus more about discussing Axis vs Allied war crimes and such, than actual gameplay. Drown out good posts like DanielDs with a massive amount of spam that just over and over repeats the same points instead of actually trying to focus on topic. You guys stated your opinion on why you play the faction. So far it's fine, but then you go on to attack the others opinion why he prefers a faction. That makes no sense at all, everyone has his own opinion and reasoning for preferring a side and ALL OF THEM are valid.
If someone plays Axis because they look better then that's fine. If someone plays Axis because he prefers their gameplay, that's fine. If someone does not play Axis because he cannot identify with them due to the war crimes committed that's fine, but it's also fine vice versa. Every god damn reason is fine.

Now first my reason why I personally prefer Soviets in vCoH2 and Oberkommando in CoH2:WFA:
I found the Soviet gameplay far more interesting. The early T70s, Conscripts gameplay and all this aggressive gameplay suited me better than the more defensive oriented Germans.
In CoH2 I prefer the Oberkommando for similar reasons. I think they are such a different faction and allow so many different playstyles. Besides that right now I feel that there is a lot of things and buildorders to try out with them, which makes it nice to confuse your opponent. Also, from a balance perspective they are more interesting as they are more challenging to balance.

And to try to get this thread back on topic, let's repeat Daniels post!

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2014, 23:20 PMDanielD
A key point that I think is missing from this thread is how the nature of team games favor the axis, particularly Ostheer. Look at the maxim vs the 42 in practice: which one needs support more? The infantry balance also encourages axis units to work in teams, while conscripts and rifles do better running around the map alone.

It's just easier to play well as a team as axis. The teching is part of this too: soviets can really only go t3 or t4 and t1 or t2, while every Ostheer player can go t1 t2 and have that be a viable build.

A noob who spams penals is useless in a team game. A noob who spams mg42s can be helpful.
28 Jun 2014, 15:59 PM

Every time I hear people talk about how everyone favors axis than allies, just reminds me of Red Orchestra 2. The Axis team is always full every time I played in that game. Even when the Soviets were OP the majority of players still play Axis.

I think it's because people just perfer to play Germans more. They have the cool high tech looking equipment and uniforms and the Soviets look dull. (the faction design is also gimmicky as hell)

Another reason why more people play axis is because I feel the American faction is just the weaker version of the Soviet faction. In team games it seems like you can't with win Americans without a Soviet player to absorb the damage and provide the firepower. It also seems like you would do a better job with a full Soviet team than a American/Soviet mix.

I would perfer to play Americans over Soviet any day, but not at this rate.
28 Jun 2014, 17:13 PM

^

Nazi propaganda was brilliant and decades later has fueled a fascination with it.

I'm been a serious reader of WW2 combat for more than ten years. I have at least 200 volumes and have read a great deal. Among historians and serious scholars, the German fanboy and the myth of the Nazi supersoldier is a bit of joke- it's a very common mindset of beginning learners of WW2 combat. It's usually bolstered by selective statistics but little understanding of anything else. I had this mindset when I first started as well.

German fanboys and game players should read 'Hitler and the power of aesthetics' and Richard Evan's excellent trilogy on the Third Reich (The coming of the Third Reich, Third Reich in power, Third Reich at War) to more fully understand why Nazism and fascist propaganda has a such a powerful, non-intellectual pull to the male psyche and how they themselves...far removed from events of the 21st century have fallen for the mythology of the Werhmacht. A book that covers this cultural phenomenon is 'The Myth of the Eastern Front' and 'The Werhmacht, history, myth, and reality'.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★