Login

russian armor

CoH2 memory bug

25 Jun 2014, 22:04 PM

So, most of the time I play CoH2 I'm running into this problem where my system notifies me that CoH2 has run out of memory to use. Unless there's a gigantic memory leak that I'm missing, I have an abundance of memory. 8GB of RAM and 2GB dedicated vRAM on top of that. There should be no issues at all with memory.

This is an entirely recent phenomenon for me, where it either freezes my game straight off(And crashes it, losing me the game), or even in the worst case it has caused a Blue Screen crash but with no defined error(A SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION which is very broad/nonspecific).

Generally, however, I've just gotten the popup saying there's no more memory or a crash with the Relic Bug Splat screen asking me what happened.

My system is as follows;

CPU: i7 Q3610M 2.3x4GHz(3.2x4GHz Turbo)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M /w 2GB vRAM

8GB RAM

I meet all the required specs. I just don't know what the issue is because it is becoming a serious problem for my play.
25 Jun 2014, 22:44 PM

Yup, this is definitely a memory leak.
25 Jun 2014, 22:47 PM
Benefactor 115

send them your warnings log so they can gather data.
26 Jun 2014, 06:59 AM

This may be a windows 8.1 thing. It happens to a lot of games, and one of the recent 8.1 updates seems to have made it even more frequent.

Search Windows 8.1 on google and you'll see it's very common. The Microsoft site has a huge thread on it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8

This thread mentions some fixes but I just found it now so I have not tried any of them.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/54183-GUIDE-Windows-8-1-Memory-Leak-How-to-fix
26 Jun 2014, 10:52 AM

check your virtual memory (Paging file)
Increase it
and
26 Jun 2014, 11:16 AM

This was not a problem before the Western Front update. It's something new.

The game also seems to load significantly slower than it used to do. Of course, it is hard to prove as we do not have access to the earlier versions anymore.
26 Jun 2014, 11:19 AM

So, most of the time I play CoH2 I'm running into this problem where my system notifies me that CoH2 has run out of memory to use. Unless there's a gigantic memory leak that I'm missing, I have an abundance of memory. 8GB of RAM and 2GB dedicated vRAM on top of that. There should be no issues at all with memory.

This is an entirely recent phenomenon for me, where it either freezes my game straight off(And crashes it, losing me the game), or even in the worst case it has caused a Blue Screen crash but with no defined error(A SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION which is very broad/nonspecific).

Generally, however, I've just gotten the popup saying there's no more memory or a crash with the Relic Bug Splat screen asking me what happened.

My system is as follows;

CPU: i7 Q3610M 2.3x4GHz(3.2x4GHz Turbo)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M /w 2GB vRAM

8GB RAM

I meet all the required specs. I just don't know what the issue is because it is becoming a serious problem for my play.

WOW, give me your system and I'll give you mine. It's not causing problems, I can assure you :clap:. However you won't be able to play COH2 on maximum settings anymore :D
26 Jun 2014, 14:09 PM

This may be a windows 8.1 thing. It happens to a lot of games, and one of the recent 8.1 updates seems to have made it even more frequent.

Search Windows 8.1 on google and you'll see it's very common. The Microsoft site has a huge thread on it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8

This thread mentions some fixes but I just found it now so I have not tried any of them.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/54183-GUIDE-Windows-8-1-Memory-Leak-How-to-fix

Hah, wow.

So it happens when it's playing a game in a different resolution to the desktop?

I'll have to go from 1360x768 to.... 1366x768. I didn't even notice they were different. Hopefully that'll fix it.

I also found this thread on Relic's CoH forums, so it may not be totally the fault of Windows here;

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/company-of-heroes-2-bug-reporting/61672-investigating-a-memory-issue
26 Jun 2014, 14:31 PM

The same thing has been happening to me and my systems specs are quite similar to yours. Hope they fix this soon it's making coh2 nigh unplayable
26 Jun 2014, 14:41 PM

Virtual memory maybe the culprit here. Try increasing it.

On a (maybe) related note, I take abnormally load to load a game, with the other players often starting before I even get to the game, and then my game runs in super fast mode to catch up. FPS seem fine though. Never had this issue before the release of WFA. I don't have a memory issue though, as you say. (I have 4 GB of Memory, btw)
26 Jun 2014, 18:43 PM

The same thing has been happening to me and my systems specs are quite similar to yours. Hope they fix this soon it's making coh2 nigh unplayable

Like I have said, Increase the paging file size by 2-3 GB and see if it works, even if you need to use ReadyBoost. Dont just wait for the fix
26 Jun 2014, 21:40 PM

Hah, wow.

So it happens when it's playing a game in a different resolution to the desktop?

I'll have to go from 1360x768 to.... 1366x768. I didn't even notice they were different. Hopefully that'll fix it.

I also found this thread on Relic's CoH forums, so it may not be totally the fault of Windows here;

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/company-of-heroes-2-bug-reporting/61672-investigating-a-memory-issue

It might be a CoH2 problem but its likely this Windows 8.1 bug. Hopefully that change fixes it for you. It's an awful memory leak triggered by running programs full-screen in non-native resolution, and hasn't been fixed since the release of 8.1, though supposedly Microsoft has now acknowledged its existence and is working on it.

Are you on Windows 8.1 too?
26 Jun 2014, 21:44 PM

I changed my resolution and that fixed the problem for me.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS