Login

russian armor

Altering commander abilities through SCAR

2 Jun 2014, 00:16 AM

I've been messing around with commander abilities in my personal maps for a while by adding and removing different abilities and making custom commanders, but I was wondering if it's possible to alter how an ability works.

For instance, is it possible to take an ability like "Repair Station" and have it show up for Pioneer Squads.

I figured this might be a stretch, but I'm also interested if there's any way to change the ability "Soviet War Machine" to either produce a different type of unit and/or change which units count towards it.

2 Jun 2014, 09:45 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Altering commanders is a bit tricky subject. I would say it's better to use abilities from the free commanders, than from the premium commanders.

I've asked from Relic if it's okay to publish a -dev mode only mod (my CheatCommands Mod) which allows the user to basically use any commanders with key combinations. The answer was no as it's not what they want to courage us to do. Paid DLC brings up many limitations and issues when it comes to modding and scripting.
3 Jun 2014, 01:21 AM

I don't plan on publishing my maps anyway. I just use them myself and among friends. It’s more for my own curiosity and finding out what can and can’t be done with map scripting.

Another question, what determines what row an ability gets placed on?

For instance, there’s a handful of abilities (mostly tow ones) under global abilities that get placed in a row above normal commander abilities on your ui.

Is it possibly to alter what row an ability occupies?

3 Jun 2014, 09:06 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

That's ui_group you are talking about. Unfortunately this group cannot be altered with SCAR. All abilities with group 2 will be placed on the "second commander ability row".
3 Jun 2014, 19:43 PM

Thanks for the info.

You wouldn't know about my original question regarding the Soviet War Machine ability would you?

It's the campaign ability that replaces fallen medium/heavy tanks with T34s when activated.

I've gotten it to work fine in a multiplayer map but I wanted know if it's possible to change what unit it calls in.
4 Jun 2014, 09:38 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Can't think of anything else than seeking for these freshly spawned T-34's and replacing them. It could get complex on how to separate them from normal T-34 spawns though.
5 Jun 2014, 07:58 AM

You can add a commander's ability with Cmd_InstantUpgrade. For example, on my "sector defense" maps I use:

Cmd_InstantUpgrade(germanPlayer,UPG.GERMAN.TRENCH)

to allow germanPlayer to build trenches.

You can apparently add as many abilities as you want, but the display will only show six. So if you add two in addition to the commander's 5, something gets bumped. (I think you only see the six that require the fewest CPs, and players will probably be annoyed if you start bumping their commander's strongest abilities.)

Interestingly, an ability added this way can be used even before you choose a commander (if you have enough CPs), but you can't see them because the three commanders' portraits will cover it up.

Unlike Janne252's mod, this does not require use of -dev to play. However, it will only work for the current map. You have to script it for every map you want to use it on.
5 Jun 2014, 09:05 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I'm not entirely sure what was the reason of posting that, as we are already aware of how to manipulate commander abilities. If you'd like to write a tutorial about it, feel free to do so.

The real issue with commanders is that they are part of paid DLC and you have to be extra careful with what you instantly unlock in a custom map.
30 Jan 2015, 16:19 PM

I've been messing around with commander abilities in my personal maps for a while by adding and removing different abilities and making custom commanders

May I humbly ask how one disables commander abilities?
30 Jan 2015, 16:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Altering commanders is a bit tricky subject. I would say it's better to use abilities from the free commanders, than from the premium commanders.

I've asked from Relic if it's okay to publish a -dev mode only mod (my CheatCommands Mod) which allows the user to basically use any commanders with key combinations. The answer was no as it's not what they want to courage us to do. Paid DLC brings up many limitations and issues when it comes to modding and scripting.

But in your -dev mod you do have the ability to unlock all abilities?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★