Login

russian armor

Player colors?, A question for Players and Devs alike

15 May 2014, 20:00 PM

Hey guys,

I am just wondering about something, maybe you can help me out. I tried this on the Steam Forums and sadly no one replied.

So... your always blue, and everyone is yellow and the enemy is red. So I turn on player colors and suddenly everyone gets a different color, but I am still blue.

When I play with my buddy over skype on team games, in 3v3 and 4v4, We both play as blue.

But the worst part is, we see other players as different colors, to me, player C is cyan, to him its yellow., player D is green for him but to me its Cyan because to player B I am yellow and for me hes green.

Let me show you
His Gameplay
1.blue-him
2.yellow-me
3.cyan
4.green
My Gameplay
1.blue-me
2.green-him
3.yellow
4.cyan

As you see this gets complicated and frustrating sometimes when I/He make(s) a tactical call and then realize, It totally useless to use the colors.

Also I haven't Checked but, I hope its not the same with enemy colors, Id hate to find out the player I see as orange is Purple to my team mate.

So if everyone is blue, how am I suppose to use player colors as a tactical asset, I can't say, green cover ect... or what not because to the next player on my team, that person is a different color.

Plus if they don't have player colors on, they wont know who that color is!

Maybe its because I grew up playing AOE, but shouldn't Player colors, you know... be static for everyone? Possibly a choice?

It cant be that hard to code right? what reasoning is behind this?

Not sure if this has been covered. I am new to the forums so please bare with me

Thanks for input
15 May 2014, 21:50 PM
Patrion 14

Good point. I'd like to know too.
15 May 2014, 22:16 PM

I grew up playing Warcraft III and I second this. STATIC COLOURS!!!
15 May 2014, 22:33 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I agree it can cause a bit of a problem that team colors are not consistent. It seems easy enough to implement, and probably wouldn't impact the game negatively.

I can confirm that enemy colors appear the same to your entire team.
16 May 2014, 00:42 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Good point. I'd like to know too.
16 May 2014, 03:51 AM

Enemy colors are the same, this is the most important thing. Would be nice if allied colors were consistent, but its not nearly as important.
16 May 2014, 20:15 PM

It might not be as important, but it certainly seems to be an oversight, why else would it be intentionally made moot?.

It takes the tactical advantage of using player colors and throws it out the window. Also as far as I can tell, it all comes from you MUST be blue. but I got ask, why?

Maybe at first it might throw you through a loop if your yellow or green or cyan, but I think players would adapt fairly well.
16 May 2014, 20:19 PM
16 May 2014, 20:44 PM

Interesting suggestions, I like the Colored ping idea, would let you know who's the one spamming the map the whole game.

But that would bring more issues as, if green pings the map and cyan pings the map, and yellow pings the map and we are talking and I say I'm heading to cyans ping, to you that's greens ping.

I believe in the 3rd point your saying the player should always be blue and be able to change the color of their 3 team mates.

Problem is as I see it is it throws the numbers off and you cant all have the same color for each other. as pointed out with my lame little numbers chart at the top.

Also if people could change their colors, the system would be more scrambled and useless for communicated tactics

This is were I feel the issue lies most with player colors
16 May 2014, 21:02 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

People playing 4v4 usually has 3 friends. These color changes are the mean.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★