Login

russian armor

destroying elefants

4 Feb 2014, 08:53 AM

i still cant find a good way to deal with these things, i cannot use tanks because soviet tanks lack penetration power against elefants. isu152 gets 2-3shotted by them and loses miserably in a shootout.

AT guns are shat on by panzerwerfers, ostwinds and mg42 keeps infantry away. even if i do exploit a gap to close in on elefants, i have absolutely nothing to kill them with, no schrecks, ptrs and AT nades bounces off its armour. elefants are still nimble enough to get the hell away from airstrikes and bombing runs are too expensive to use every single engagement, not to mention when it misses, its a complete waste of munitions.

so because they have complete armour dominance, ostwinds and panzer4 with some mg42 protects them from infantry. there's nothing i can do while they elefant crawl up my base.

im completely at a loss on what to do.

coming from a 2v2 play. with guards + isu152 commander and soviet shock army, need advice.
4 Feb 2014, 08:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Sneak a guard in and button it, call in bombstrike and elefant has 1%hp left.
4 Feb 2014, 10:10 AM

Sneak a guard in and button it, call in bombstrike and elefant has 1%hp left.

He asks for a good way, and what you propose is gimmick. I cant seem to find a realiable way either. Ramming, AT-Guns, Artillery / lucky howitzer shots. You need some combos to kill it. There is no direct counter if the elefant is supported.
4 Feb 2014, 11:13 AM

Permanently Banned
Any of these rounds will kill an elephant with a kill shot:

.416 Rigby

.450 3 1/4

.458 WinMag

.458 Lott

.577 Tyrannosaur

.600 Nitro Express

.700 Nitro Express
4 Feb 2014, 11:20 AM

From my experience, Elef is my fav unit... you should build a howitzer PROTECTED with an antiair to prevent the elefant commander to drop a stuka bomb on your howie...

Use the artillery to destroy every infantry/building next to his elefant (with this, you deny him to repair the elef) and then, enter with your infantry to make him nervous, so he will go back and you will eventually gain terrain.

Or do what ultra-pros do and build 90000 T34 and circle him. But I dont recommend this, because my mate in 2v2 always have a pak43 behind my Elef..you know..just in case :)
4 Feb 2014, 11:30 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2014, 11:13 AMakosi
Any of these rounds will kill an elephant with a kill shot:

.416 Rigby

.450 3 1/4

.458 WinMag

.458 Lott

.577 Tyrannosaur

.600 Nitro Express

.700 Nitro Express

Stop eating shit/nonsense.
4 Feb 2014, 15:54 PM
Donator 22

you should build a howitzer PROTECTED with an antiair to prevent the elefant commander to drop a stuka bomb on your howie...

there is a way to kill the stuka bomb, before he drops the bomb?! I thought there is no way, to kill the stuka bomber...

4 Feb 2014, 16:23 PM

Actually I find that elefants have a serious Achilles' heel.

Engine Damage.

I always use conscripts at them, and usually 2 but preferably 3. Throw At grenades at the rear in succession, and eventually you'll get an engine damage. Try to get heavy engine damage if possible. Then use whatever else you have in your arsenal to kill it.

The IL-2 bomb strike will bring it down to less than half health or so.

SU-85 and Zis rear flanking will bring it down.

Zis guns will bring it down.

IS-2's will bring it down in a rather exploitative way: Get the IS-2 to the rear of the Elefant, and charge it into the elefant. Even without engine damage, you can hug the elefant and stop it from firing at your IS-2 by stopping it from turning. The IS-2 will fire shots into it's rear and destroy it.

The key thing to exploit is the Elefant, unlike the ISU-152...is terrible against infantry and Zis guns. You can approach them with these first.
4 Feb 2014, 16:33 PM

Well button + mark + bombing run from the Guards/ISU152 commander will 1-shot the Elefant but... that's more than 300 munitions so I wouldn't necessarily rely on that... but it is an option.

On a more realistic note the Soviet howitzer is the best counter I've found to Elefants. Just barrage it all day everyday. If they're pretty decent they'll recon + bomb the howi but if you keep rebuilding it over a long game you'll come out ontop of the MP/muni trades (unless they have a bunch of muni caches/oppels around).

A back ram actually has a 100% chance to disable the main gun of the Elefant so that's always an option - then take it out with Su85s/ISU152/T34 85s/AT guns/whatever but on some maps it is effectively impossible to actually land a back ram on it (Rzhev spring for example).

Overall I believe indirect fire is your best bet.
4 Feb 2014, 16:35 PM

there is a way to kill the stuka bomb, before he drops the bomb?! I thought there is no way, to kill the stuka bomber...

The stuka bomb from that call in does not actually come from a plane that spawns in the game, so even with all the AA in the world, you can't stop it.

As far as I know the only thing you can "shoot down" with Ostwinds/Quad m5s are the strafing runs.
4 Feb 2014, 16:53 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2014, 16:35 PMCieZ

The stuka bomb from that call in does not actually come from a plane that spawns in the game, so even with all the AA in the world, you can't stop it.

As far as I know the only thing you can "shoot down" with Ostwinds/Quad m5s are the strafing runs.

Last week a P4 shot down my il2 bombing strike heading for a howitzer :(
4 Feb 2014, 17:44 PM

Nope, you cant kill the stuka that DIVES with the 50kg, but you CAN kill the recon stuka that must be fielded to have vision on your howitzer.
4 Feb 2014, 21:51 PM
Donator 22

Nope, you cant kill the stuka that DIVES with the 50kg, but you CAN kill the recon stuka that must be fielded to have vision on your howitzer.

aahhh okay thx guys
4 Feb 2014, 21:59 PM

Good luck killing a recon plane with a M5 before he gets a single second of vision on your howitzer.

The quad .50 call halftrack does not have great AA. And unlike the ostwind, it doesn't get any better with veterancy either.
4 Feb 2014, 22:19 PM

Good luck killing a recon plane with a M5 before he gets a single second of vision on your howitzer.

The quad .50 call halftrack does not have great AA. And unlike the ostwind, it doesn't get any better with veterancy either.

I've never said its easy, in fact, its really hard to counter the 50kg bomb on an artillery piece for the reason you have said, but what you want? Im telling him things that frustrates me when playing as the Elefant commander versus a soviet Artillery commander..thats all, peace.
4 Feb 2014, 22:38 PM

Just like someone asked a question on reliable way to kill a panther, the answer will be - there is no good receipe, it is all situational and differs from game to game. The way you choose depends on enemies arsenal. Many times Elephants stay far from frontlines but unprotected, see if there is a way to sneak around and flank it.

From my experience I would say that ML-20 is the best bet. There is even an achievement for killing five elephants which will unlock new bulletin.

I want to try B4, I kinda like faster reload time, and interesting to see how many punches KV-1 can swallow.
5 Feb 2014, 14:04 PM

KV1 front againt elefant, i would say 3 hits maybe 4.

the way to kill elefant depends also a lot of the map and if it is protected or not.

If not protected even with his high armor elefant is an easy target. Conscript AT nade (elefant is not good to kill infantry), flank ram with T34, and ziz to finish him. Even without killing him, you won't see him before a long time.

If protected it is something else ! But use a lot of infantry and hide tanks behind house or thing like that. Don't give elefant the angle to shoot you. Use his slow mobility
6 Feb 2014, 06:53 AM

okay, i tried whatever u guys were suggesting, AT guns dont work when elefants have panzerwerfer support. infantry flanking are nulled by ostwinds or brumbar(provided by 2nd german player) when the elefants keeps su85 away and panzerwerfer keeps AT guns down.

its pretty lame with soviets dont have anything that is non doctrinal, mobile and packs enough AT to deal with it.
6 Feb 2014, 07:30 AM

SU-85 and Zis rear flanking will bring it down.

Zis guns will bring it down.

IS-2's will bring it down in a rather exploitative way: Get the IS-2 to the rear of the Elefant, and charge it into the elefant. Even without engine damage, you can hug the elefant and stop it from firing at your IS-2 by stopping it from turning. The IS-2 will fire shots into it's rear and destroy it.

I really doubt you can flank OR even better REAR flank a tank that has 100 range and will 2 shot a su85. As I see things its already very difficult to flank an elefant with t34's but you are suggesting to flank it with a TURRETLESS tank destroyer or a wheeled AT gun. Is2 is very slow to flank and fires extremely slowly to have any effect on the elefant.

imo a b4 can scare it off or keep it at a distance. That 152mm on map arty piece is a fairly good counter. guards btn + bombing run is viable. finally if nothing works, just keep building t34s and try to ram it over and over and over again untill success :P.

one more thing, this might not be the best idea but penal squad can throw a satchel bomb at the elefant(penals get oorah at vet1 which helps in rushing up to the elefant). 90% of the time the elefant wont be fast enough to clear the blast radius. It does decent damage too
6 Feb 2014, 11:21 AM

Stupidly enough, elephant targets infantry. You'll need to bait it to turn with infantry or light vehicles. When it starts spinning exposing it's flanks you move in with SU-85s, take a few shots and pull back when it rotates back towards your tanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★