Login

russian armor

How Coh2 sold out - and what to do about it

15 Nov 2013, 19:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 18:22 PMVonIvan
Because certain aspects of the game are fixed over time and with patience, it may be unfortunate that this has happened again, but patch fixes do come shortly after criticism is shown in a constructive manner.
Alright, my shot at a constructive critique (for what it's worth):

My main gripe is that I object to the apparent routine of pushing obviously imbalanced DLC commanders out the door and then after say a week start to balance them (funny how those commanders hardly ever seem to be underperforming).
It happened before so it will likely happen again.

To some players of average skill (like myself) this results in frustrating weeks when playing automatch - to the point where the game mode is unplayable.
Resulting in a post in this thread.

A constructive critique includes a possible solution:
Test commanders properly.
(Yeah, shocking I know.)

From the outside this whole mess seems to me like a classical tug of war between sales and production(developers).
.. the short 'term profit' faction seems to be calling the shots at the moment.

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 18:22 PMVonIvan
I know this would rather be avoided, but this isn't a perfect world. (Which is why I'm currently trying to prove a point with my streak)
I respect that - sadly as most players have nowhere near your skill or expertise - frustration abounds.
raw
15 Nov 2013, 19:03 PM

The OP contains a lot of nonsense.
15 Nov 2013, 20:54 PM

I think a lot of people get the criticism all wrong. Every time arguments like these are presented someone claims the OP really wanted vCOH1.5 etc. Thats not the case.

The problem is that COH2 is a step down in a lot of areas, and certain aspects of the physics and similair mechanics has been toned down or removed to save time in order to rush the game out so that THQ could survive, wich it didnt. When a sequel releases arround six years after the original, I think its sad that the original is better than the sequel in such areas as the OP points out.

Now, I am probably biased as COH2 has dissapointed me in a lot of ways. I get that a lot of the game mechanics has changed because its another team that developed COH2, and that it might be a more DOW oriented team. But that the game is less technically impressive, in some areas, is really shocking, given the age of the original.

Anyways, I believe there are several good reasons why vCOH still has an impressive regulair playerbase, and why I dont see COH2 repeating that success.

Great comment man I agree. If they are going to make a sequel it needs to be at least as good - if not better. For the most part that has been reversed
15 Nov 2013, 21:00 PM

Indeed. Small arms fire hardly seems to do anything outside of the first few engagements. After that, infantry battles are all about who throws a better grenade.

I find it a bit strange that explosive weapons seem to do 'realistic' damage vs infantry (i.e. bundle grenades wiping out 5 guards etc, 120mm mortars 1 shotting grenadier squads), while all other forms of damage in this game are toned down (i.e. a panther needing 3-4 penetrating shots to kill a T34/76). It really removes the need for careful infantry positioning such as getting into heavy cover as you will just get stormed and 'naded.

Definitely agree with you - in vCOH if u dropped the ball half your army could be wiped in a few seconds in the right circumstances.
16 Nov 2013, 23:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 21:00 PMHS King

Definitely agree with you - in vCOH if u dropped the ball half your army could be wiped in a few seconds in the right circumstances.

Never been a huuge fan of that, though its definitely better than in Coh2.
I love this game, just like vCoh. But some things should not have happend and will never get fixed or redesigned, which is sad.

The DLC-Thing is just BS, but thats no news at all. They should just iron the game out, and release a big addon after a year. I'd gladly give them 30 Euro for that.

Other things are: Random grenade/molotov damage. And, by the way, I'm really unimpressed with the explosion visuals and sounds of that. Rifle grenades look like they just raise some dust with a little 'poof'.
Bad UI. Though it has improved a bit since beta, I still find it inferior to the original.
And: Am I the only one who is kinda fed up with the faces of the differnt commanders? They just take up screen space without telling anything. Many commanders look the same. I'd much rather have a cool and telling symbol for the possible doctrines than some Nazi with glasses, or without glasses... with hat... without hat...
Another thing I noticed: Why are the healthbars so damn small? The critical symbols? Why does damaged engine and destroyed engine look the same?
These are some (little) things I can't get my head around.

I'm sorry for posting this here, I guess I simply had to get it off my chest.
(dictated but not read)
16 Nov 2013, 23:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Nov 2013, 23:24 PMAnarcy

Never been a huuge fan of that, though its definitely better than in Coh2.
I love this game, just like vCoh. But some things should not have happend and will never get fixed or redesigned, which is sad.

The DLC-Thing is just BS, but thats no news at all. They should just iron the game out, and release a big addon after a year. I'd gladly give them 30 Euro for that.

Other things are: Random grenade/molotov damage. And, by the way, I'm really unimpressed with the explosion visuals and sounds of that. Rifle grenades look like they just raise some dust with a little 'poof'.
Bad UI. Though it has improved a bit since beta, I still find it inferior to the original.
And: Am I the only one who is kinda fed up with the faces of the differnt commanders? They just take up screen space without telling anything. Many commanders look the same. I'd much rather have a cool and telling symbol for the possible doctrines than some Nazi with glasses, or without glasses... with hat... without hat...
Another thing I noticed: Why are the healthbars so damn small? The critical symbols? Why does damaged engine and destroyed engine look the same?
These are some (little) things I can't get my head around.

I'm sorry for posting this here, I guess I simply had to get it off my chest.
(dictated but not read)

I agree with everything you said except about the army wipe - I think bold play should be rewarded if everything goes right
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 12
Germany 8
unknown 17

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak