Login

russian armor

Rocket artillery veterancy abilities

3 Jan 2020, 17:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Since a discussion about giving incendiary barrage to the Panzerwerfer started, I figured it kight be a good idea to discuss alternative fire modes for rocket arty in general. Let's face it: all of them are currently shit.

PWerfer has counter barrage: honestly next to useless. You don't want to hit a shitty little mortar at max range.
Katyusha has creeping barrage: An ability that probably was thought to be a small StuKa zu Fuß, but turns out to be bad as well because you pay quite a lot of mun to get less rockets with (correct me if I'm wrong) higher pauses between the rockets.
StuKa has napalm rounds: can't remember the costs since it takes a lot of time to get this unit to vet4. I think this ability might actually be useful, but it comes late. Also I'm not sure if the normal barrage might not be straight up better as well.

Keep in mind this thread is NOT about discussing which unit might be a bit better than the other, but about giving them a decent alternative firing mode as it was intended by the game's design. I think this also might be within the scope of a new patch.

I think we have 5 basic choices: incendiary barrages (see StuKa), different firing patterns (see Katy), anti tank rockets, muni for lower cool downs or a range vs scatter trade off.

I would kick out the latter two for probably being harder to balance across game modes.

I suggest the following:
-Katy: keep the creeping barrage, but either make it an area denial tool, increase damage, lower the mun cost. It's a good idea, but absolutely not worth the price and does not give much advantage over the standard firing mode.
-PWerfer: Either AT or incendiary barrage. Everything will be an upgrade over the counter barrage ability. The circular firing pattern would be great zo make it a small incendiary barrage like the Soviet off map ability.
-StuKa: I would go for an AT barrage. It could somewhat help as an additional counter to Allied TDs. It should not kill one obviously, but deal decent damage while also significantly lowering damage vs infantry.
3 Jan 2020, 18:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Katyusha: i would just remove it but probably anything that would be given in compensation would be a buff, therefore i don't think it should be done at the moment cause the unit is fine.
You could try cutting down the cost, but a shit ability will remain shitty even if it's cheap.

My suggestion: current price, double the amount of rockets (2 salvos), rockets now apply suppression.

PWerfer: i don't think the ability is that far off of been useful. If the cooldown for counterbarrage was half of normal barrage, you could easily put more pressure than firing it normally.

Stuka: the ability was OP because it used to do more damage (IIRC) and didn't share cooldown with the HE barrage. The flame barrage IMO is how the unit could be reworked.
Been cheaper and only working in flame barrage mode in T2 while unlocking the HE barrage at T4 after an upgrade the unit individually.

If the unit is at it is, then it should arrive sooner but have a really lower cooldown for it to be viable.
3 Jan 2020, 19:45 PM

I like the idea of improving vets of rocket arty. Sadly UKF or USF are kind of out of scope of the topic and i would like to see them included too.

Firstly i think adding a minor amu cost (50 or so) for any rocket barrage is required. It could justify buffs or revamps overall.

Katy creeping barrage could be really useful if it costed the same as the normal barrage and fired the same amount or rockets aswell. I think the CB is nerfed in damage because it can achieve longer distances.
If a mod can change this to make CB require the farthest point tu start firing instead of the middle one, CB could do as much damage as normal barrage.
Now everytime you hear a katyusha firing you must guess if its a single target or a creeping barrage.

Pwerfer counter fire is bad, but reducing its spread significantly will make it a single mortar wipe, useful enough in a artyfest game, but it should cost ammunition aswell.

Wstuka. Ahh the favourite black sheep of the game. IMO it could use single rocket fire as vet, it will have always the same range and minimum range too, it should cost munitions too, but less than the creeping barrage. Spread of the single rocket should be low but not pin point accurate.
Normal creeping barrage could use some spread too.

3 Jan 2020, 20:37 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

This reminds me of the landmattress WP barrage. When used with another piece of damage to actually take out the damaged models it's pretty decent, but at the same time, why would I use a rocket that costs munis, has less rockets, and doesn't kill when I can just use the HE barrage which kills models and bleeds my opponent.

I think a high concentration DoT damage source of rockets like the stuka, WP, or incin barrage on the werfer would be a good place to start but they'd have to be exceptionally powerful inorder to be used over the standard HE rockets.
3 Jan 2020, 21:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

This reminds me of the landmattress WP barrage. When used with another piece of damage to actually take out the damaged models it's pretty decent, but at the same time, why would I use a rocket that costs munis, has less rockets, and doesn't kill when I can just use the HE barrage which kills models and bleeds my opponent.

I think a high concentration DoT damage source of rockets like the stuka, WP, or incin barrage on the werfer would be a good place to start but they'd have to be exceptionally powerful inorder to be used over the standard HE rockets.

I mean there are ways around this: Either it is rather weak but does not share cooldown or it has decent strength, shared cooldown but lower cooldown that the normal barrage.
3 Jan 2020, 21:58 PM

Stuka’s incendiary barrage is underrated af. Not sure why you want to replace it if you’ve never used it.
3 Jan 2020, 22:06 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I mean there are ways around this: Either it is rather weak but does not share cooldown or it has decent strength, shared cooldown but lower cooldown that the normal barrage.

I mean i don't know how strong they'd be but if you WP barrage and then immediatly HE barrage that could be deadly in its own right.
4 Jan 2020, 00:27 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Stuka’s incendiary barrage is underrated af. Not sure why you want to replace it if you’ve never used it.

I rarely used it because I think it comes quite late. The times I used it it was alright, but honestly a direct hit with the normal barrage would probably be more effective. It's not a Katy rocket that kills a model and deals AoE, one of the StuKa rockets can kill 4-5 models if it hits right. I just think the advantage is maybe not worth it for the mun cost. Then again I'm not that experienced with it, so if you have further insights feel free to share.

I mean i don't know how strong they'd be but if you WP barrage and then immediatly HE barrage that could be deadly in its own right.

Not immediately. As I said, shorter CD than the normal barrage. Normal barrage is ~2 min, so maybe 1 min would be appropriate? This could also allow for a completely different use of the units if you want to invest munis in it.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 92

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight