Login

russian armor

The RNG Shitfest that is COH2!

2 Jan 2020, 11:09 AM

RNG adds life to a game, it brings with it unexpected and exciting events both good and bad and it is what keeps me coming back to COH2.

However! There are some situations where RNG simply shouldn't take part in what happens but it can't help but get its greasy mitts all over it. Take this video for example:

Start at 14 seconds, I cant seem to imbedd with a time stamp, or click here

I did everything that should have guaranteed a kill but the game simply decided "Nope", that adds nothing to the game but pure frustration, situations where a Churchill point black to a flame hetzer will bounce....(I'm sure you've seen the video and downvoted it).

Here is another similar example Comet Vs Panther close range Now I imagine that if every shot was to pen at such a range that the tank battles might become quite dull, the thing that gets me the most is the second shot from the Comet, I mean... its even under the barrel!

Indirect wipes or devistating hits are hard hitting but I can accept them as it was pure RNG "If only I had have moved or stayed still" Long to mid AT shots that bounce, frustrating but OK, but to be so close to something and still bounce or miss (And more than once I might add) simply kills all enjoyment and there should be deciders in place that guarantee based on distance the RNG gets lower until eliminated. I'm sure there already is something like that in the game but as you can clearly see, its just not working.
2 Jan 2020, 11:26 AM

The Raketen has a target size of 10, because it is so small compared to other ATGs (TZ 20). That means a 6-pounder only has a ~55% chance (~0.055 acc x 10 target size) to score a hit at that range. So this is a bad RNG roll for sure, but nothing really extraordinary.
2 Jan 2020, 12:05 PM

Edit: nvm wrong video
2 Jan 2020, 13:56 PM

It's not something you can fix without creating different problems.
2 Jan 2020, 17:55 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2020, 13:56 PMLago
It's not something you can fix without creating different problems.

Which ones? Doesn't a crewed support weapon get their members targeted instead of the weapon itself at all times?
2 Jan 2020, 18:59 PM

The Raketen has a target size of 10, because it is so small compared to other ATGs (TZ 20). That means a 6-pounder only has a ~55% chance (~0.055 acc x 10 target size) to score a hit at that range. So this is a bad RNG roll for sure, but nothing really extraordinary.

Which is fine for when it is manned but when it is decrewed and your ATG or even vehicle for that matter is parked 2 feet away from it, the chance to hit should be basically 100%.
2 Jan 2020, 19:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2020, 18:59 PMLatch
Which is fine for when it is manned but when it is decrewed and your ATG or even vehicle for that matter is parked 2 feet away from it, the chance to hit should be basically 100%.

That's not how it works. The weapon is never targeted while it is crewed. Only when the weapon is decrewed can it be directly targeted by AT weapons, at which point the weapon's target size is used to determine the chance to hit. This target size is 20 for most team weapons, which gives excellent chances to hit on all ranges (>100% at low range), but the Raketen's is 10 which makes it hard to hit even at close range.

Again, this has nothing to do with "an RNG shitfest", this is working as intended. Whether or not that intention is right is another matter. This was simply a case of some decent chances to miss stacking up, which was a bad roll for sure, but well within the boundaries of sensible RNG.
2 Jan 2020, 23:43 PM

That's not how it works. The weapon is never targeted while it is crewed. Only when the weapon is decrewed can it be directly targeted by AT weapons, at which point the weapon's target size is used to determine the chance to hit. This target size is 20 for most team weapons, which gives excellent chances to hit on all ranges (>100% at low range), but the Raketen's is 10 which makes it hard to hit even at close range.

Again, this has nothing to do with "an RNG shitfest", this is working as intended. Whether or not that intention is right is another matter. This was simply a case of some decent chances to miss stacking up, which was a bad roll for sure, but well within the boundaries of sensible RNG.

Working as intended !=balanced I stated that the RNG needs to go from situations when you are as close as I was, you just gave an explination of how the RNG is calculated and in the same breath said its not an RNG shit fest and that I rolled "decent chances to miss" my exact issue!

If you want to now explain the comet firing under its barrel and missing at a closer range.
3 Jan 2020, 00:28 AM

Kinda off topic, but since we’re talking about target sizes, what about the B4s target size? It’s been reported a while ago by me and others to be broken cuz it’s too low, yet no hotfix yet. Will there be a fix?
3 Jan 2020, 01:07 AM

Lol I was about to comment on the B4s target size of 1 but stormjäger beat me to it
3 Jan 2020, 02:43 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Lol I was about to comment on the B4s target size of 1 but stormjäger beat me to it

I would've said :ot: but is it really a value of 1????
3 Jan 2020, 07:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I know the online stats are outdated but it seems so.

Curious about how long this has been a thing.
3 Jan 2020, 08:10 AM

Kinda off topic, but since we’re talking about target sizes, what about the B4s target size? It’s been reported a while ago by me and others to be broken cuz it’s too low, yet no hotfix yet. Will there be a fix?

Yes, the B4 weapon has a target size of 1 instead of 20. It was supposed to get fixed last patch but it didn't make it in for some reason. It's on the list of things to fix next patch.

4 Jan 2020, 05:47 AM

Nice.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight