Login

russian armor

[Winter Balance Update] OST Feedback

• This thread is locked
PAGES (43)down
12 Feb 2021, 22:21 PM

Is the T34 being shitty also the reason why it got its price increased?

And if you argue that the T34 being bad was the reason for the existance of the call in meta, the only thing it proves is that you do not understand why the call in meta existed in the first place.

1) I never said T34 was bad, I said main gun was.
2) People used doctrinal 85 over it even after they were tied to tech, only after MG buffs it re-surfaced, in case you don't remember.
12 Feb 2021, 22:24 PM

Can we please just remove the retarded 2CP too-much MP costing mechanized grenadier 250 call in from the mechanized commander and replace it with just the damn ability to build 250s like it is with the infantry commander???
12 Feb 2021, 22:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2021, 22:21 PMKatitof

1) I never said T34 was bad, I said main gun was.
2) People used doctrinal 85 over it even after they were tied to tech, only after MG buffs it re-surfaced, in case you don't remember.

1) T34 was never designed to be good at AT. It moving much of its AI to MGs is actually a strong point in terms of reliability. Main gun is worse than the P4s, but somewhat fitting the price.
2) yes, because the large T34 would be an astonishing tank in literally any faction. Still, call in meta existed for a completely different reason other than avoiding the normal T34.
12 Feb 2021, 23:49 PM

I actually think all tanks should get the t34 treatment where standing in front of it ias a bad idea... Remove some of the RNG of requiring the cannon to deter infantry from walking at it.
MMX
13 Feb 2021, 10:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2021, 20:19 PMPip

According to the statistics on serealia, vipper seems to be right about the three PIV MGs being comparable to the two SOV mgs.

All values approximateMin range DPSMax range DPS
T-3428.313.5
Panzer IV15.2810.7
Panzer IV (+ coax)30.3814.68

The tank cannon performance vs infantry is hard to calculate, the T-34 and PIV share the same (AI relevant) statistics for their cannons other than: close AOE, Scatter distance max, and Reload Time.

An interesting outlier is that apparently the t-34 has "Damage all in Hold" set to "true", whereas the PIV does not. I'm not sure if that refers to the contents of transport vehicles, to garrisons, or to both.

Serealia calculates the difference between the 80 damage radius on both tanks as 0.02(units?) t-34 1.11 vs PIV 1.13.

I'm uncertain how to work out the impact of the scatter distance differences in a realistic sense. The T-34 has approximately 10% worse max scatter, but I dont know if that translates to 10% worse damage.

The biggest difference is the 6.1 second reload of the T-34 when compared to the 5.3-5.7 second(Why is this variable?) reload of the PIV (Though the T-34 gets significantly better reload bonuses at veterancy)

As GachiGasm has pointed out, you have kind of left out some crucial information.

as far as main gun ai performance is concerned, i did an analysis quite a while back in this post, and your estimate is quite accurate. the t-34/76 takes about 8-10% more shots (15-20% more time due to inferior reload) for a squad kill than the ost pz.iv between max and mid range using the cannon alone. at point blank this difference shrinks to zero and both perform essentially the same.
your conclusion on the mgs is also on point, though one major advantage the pz.iv has over the t-34 is that most of its mg dps comes from the coax and pintle, and thus is omnidirectional. this is especially important in cqc situations, where the t-34 is much less effective than the pz.iv.
13 Feb 2021, 10:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2021, 10:12 AMMMX

as far as main gun ai performance is concerned, i did an analysis quite a while back in this post, and your estimate is quite accurate. the t-34/76 takes about 8-10% more shots (15-20% more time due to inferior reload) for a squad kill than the ost pz.iv between max and mid range using the cannon alone. at point blank this difference shrinks to zero and both perform essentially the same.

Yet some people keep insisting on repeating the mantra that the is "shitty".

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2021, 10:12 AMMMX

your conclusion on the mgs is also on point, though one major advantage the pz.iv has over the t-34 is that most of its mg dps comes from the coax and pintle, and thus is omnidirectional. this is especially important in cqc situations, where the t-34 is much less effective than the pz.iv.

There are 2 sides in that coin. Having 2 controllable MGs make it easier to focus fire a single target when multiple target are around than have 2 controllable and 1 uncontrollable one.

Imo the most important advantage of the pintle MG is the ability to fire on ATG when one is circle strafing.

One has to keep in mind that pintle comes at a mu cost while these superior mgs available to Soviet tanks (T-34/76, T-34/85, KV-1 that even has an extra one) free
MMX
13 Feb 2021, 10:28 AM

I actually think all tanks should get the t34 treatment where standing in front of it ias a bad idea... Remove some of the RNG of requiring the cannon to deter infantry from walking at it.

i'd wager this is already the case, especially earlier in the game where crater cover is not yet too abundant and infantry not fully vetted. in these scenarios mgs are indeed the major contributor to overall ai for most tanks. still i think the biggest deterrent from walking up on a tank will always remain the low but non-zero chance of a lucky main gun shot instagibbing your whole squad rather than consistent dps
13 Feb 2021, 10:36 AM

That won't work without a veterancy overhaul for all tanks, because the MGs scale very badly as the game goes on and enemy infantry gets lower target sizes with vet and medium cover becomes more abundant. They're also way worse at chasing retreating squads.
13 Feb 2021, 12:51 PM

That won't work without a veterancy overhaul for all tanks, because the MGs scale very badly as the game goes on and enemy infantry gets lower target sizes with vet and medium cover becomes more abundant. They're also way worse at chasing retreating squads.

I would be happy with knowing that if I park a tank behind an unsupported AT gun I don't need an RNG roll to actually kill it. Chip damage would be great.

The mg treatment the t34 got is great. Even buffing the hull mg on all tanks would make a difference I think.
Beyond that, in regards to cover, perhaps the coaxial and pintles, partiallyignoring cover could help remedy that variable (the mgs are shooting from above)
But if all that happened was a hull mg buff I think the consistency and fear of tanks would be a great improvement. Vetted infantry not being as scared seems OK to me but team weapons would still suffer and that would be great
13 Feb 2021, 13:15 PM

I would be happy with knowing that if I park a tank behind an unsupported AT gun I don't need an RNG roll to actually kill it. Chip damage would be great.

The mg treatment the t34 got is great. Even buffing the hull mg on all tanks would make a difference I think.
Beyond that, in regards to cover, perhaps the coaxial and pintles, partiallyignoring cover could help remedy that variable (the mgs are shooting from above)
But if all that happened was a hull mg buff I think the consistency and fear of tanks would be a great improvement. Vetted infantry not being as scared seems OK to me but team weapons would still suffer and that would be great

At least there should be some consistency.

Same times of units having completely different behavior with little way of informing the player are solution that are not elegant and should be avoided.

I agree that having Hull mg improved would be a good idea since it would even promote better maneuvering of the vehicle.
13 Feb 2021, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2021, 13:15 PMVipper

At least there should be some consistency.

Same times of units having completely different behavior with little way of informing the player are solution that are not elegant and should be avoided.

I agree that having Hull mg improved would be a good idea since it would even promote better maneuvering of the vehicle.

Plus, the hull is directional. Do I get that sweet dps on the squad and risk my thinner armour? Or now that the hull is facing that squad this one can maneuver a bit more freely. Adds another element to the game. And while consistency isn't really cohs thing it would be really nice to know if the shooty bit goes rattatat the leggy boys will get hurt no matter what tank it is.
13 Feb 2021, 17:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2021, 18:31 PMPip

Well, the tests seem to imply that the T-34s hull and coaxial MGs are better than the PIV's, though it doesn't support the assertion that they differ in the "Focus Fire" property". Perhaps that isnt what you meant, though. (More than just one test would be nice, incidentally)

I have heard before that the T34/76 and t34/85 do have abnormally strong hull/coaxial machine guns, though knowing the exact statistics would be nice. I'm not certain, but haven't the T34s MGs been tweaked in a patch in the last half-year?

I was making a new video, but my tool doesn't work. ;((

Best you try it your own on Test-map.

My results were WITH active maingun. P4 (with and without upgrade) vs T34/76 and KV1 killing Grens, no cover, ~20 range.

P4 ~14sec. +/- 2sec. (3 times tested)
T34 ~14sec. +/- 2sec. (3 times tested)
KV1 ~15sec. +/- 3sec. (3 times tested)
P4 (upgrade) 12sec. +/- 2sec. (3 times tested)

T34's maingun more often misses vs P4, but MG performs better, it even makes damage without animation. KV1's gun sometimes snipes hard, then it fails, wasn't realy able to see how MG works.

P4 with upgrade is best.
17 Feb 2021, 21:50 PM

Ye and how many brainsells one must have to use penal/Cons/Riflemen vs grens at long range? And in equal cover IS will win vs Grens.

Penals and Rifles beat grens(non upgraded of course) from every range though.
17 Feb 2021, 22:02 PM

Can we have the VSL's new stg's to work more like semi auto instead full auto similar to Para's m1 carbines. It feels really weird to see the VSL's grens optimal range change based on weather the stg model is alive or not.
17 Feb 2021, 23:06 PM

Can we have the VSL's new stg's to work more like semi auto instead full auto similar to Para's m1 carbines. It feels really weird to see the VSL's grens optimal range change based on weather the stg model is alive or not.

Can we nuke every squad member increase (Bolster/Cons/Vsl) and balance squads around weapons and weapon upgrades? These squad increases do nothing other than create balance issues. 7 Man Cons got nerfed 4(?) times in a row and even base cons get the nerf hammer now. Vsl Grens get nerfed and adjusted now. And Bolster is a problematic and trash design since i can remember. And on the other side Pfussiliers are trash (hyperbole) now, cause 5 man squads with their k98s are not competitive.
18 Feb 2021, 00:07 AM

Penals and Rifles beat grens(non upgraded of course) from every range though.

Not really. Penals beat them at long range (but are also 60 MP more expensive). Rifles lose to grens long range but obliterate them close and medium range. Fully upgraded rifles (double BAR) will not necessarily win vs grens with MG42 at long range cover to cover (outside of cover they will due to the sheer ROF from BARs). Assuming both are vet3. I don't remember ever winning an engagement cover to cover vs vet3 grens with LMGs vs my BARred rifles. Perhaps once or twice due to luck.
18 Feb 2021, 05:06 AM

Not really. Penals beat them at long range (but are also 60 MP more expensive). Rifles lose to grens long range but obliterate them close and medium range. Fully upgraded rifles (double BAR) will not necessarily win vs grens with MG42 at long range cover to cover (outside of cover they will due to the sheer ROF from BARs). Assuming both are vet3. I don't remember ever winning an engagement cover to cover vs vet3 grens with LMGs vs my BARred rifles. Perhaps once or twice due to luck.
I think you never actually tried to fight grens with Penals and Rifles at long range(max even) did you.
18 Feb 2021, 14:54 PM

I think you never actually tried to fight grens with Penals and Rifles at long range(max even) did you.

I have tried to fight grens with rifles when I first started playing, tried to fight them yesterday and even the day before that. Fought grens many times on long range to know that you do not fight grens at long range, neither the volks, ever, cover to cover. So yeah, I have been engaged in rifles vs grens at long range same green cover.

You can test it out in cheat mode, you'll find that grens will win most of the time.
18 Feb 2021, 16:30 PM

I have tried to fight grens with rifles when I first started playing, tried to fight them yesterday and even the day before that. Fought grens many times on long range to know that you do not fight grens at long range, neither the volks, ever, cover to cover. So yeah, I have been engaged in rifles vs grens at long range same green cover.

You can test it out in cheat mode, you'll find that grens will win most of the time.

why don't you do that test and find out what happens. Remember i said un upgraded grens and get back to me.
18 Feb 2021, 16:37 PM

why don't you do that test and find out what happens. Remember i said un upgraded grens and get back to me.

Why would I waste my time arguing with a person on a random pointless thread? If you don't believe me, fine. Test it yourself, I don't care enough to test such random obvious things.

And get back to your? You overestimate your importance.
PAGES (43)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS