Login

russian armor

Why is OKW arty officer even a thing?

29 Nov 2018, 19:51 PM

It just promotes blobbing and gives no incentive not to a move your whole infantry. What was the intended purpose for this?

You'd think that you could counter it with say a centaur but how? They will just cloak 2 rakketens and wipe it in 2 salvos! Vickers doesn't pin fast enough to counter them and its even slower in late game with all the craters.

I'm playing a lot of 3v3's lately and its a huge issue, typically one blobs, one goes arty/stuka+Searchlight with the other command panther and its seriously dificult to counter because any static play to attack the blob gets wiped by arty and any mobile play gets countered by the blob!

It needs reworking and at least given penalties to remove the blob focus gameplay.

The hero charge from the Brit officer used to be the same but the time its usefull is really short and they thankfully nerfed the RA!
29 Nov 2018, 20:00 PM

The officer does promote blobbing, which is bad. But it's only a 10% buff which arguably isn't worth the cost of the officer.

The problem is blobbing itself, which is a problem in every faction (although most notably OKW/USF and Penals, maybe IS Brens). There should be a mechanic that gives received accuracy penalties to squads in close proximity to each other to prevent this (like +15% RA for every squad within 10 range), but that's something for CoH3 I guess. There's HMG AOE suppression but it doesn't really do enough.
29 Nov 2018, 20:36 PM

One word. 6 letters. The most hardcounter of all hardcounter counters OF ANYTHING.

B O F O R S
29 Nov 2018, 20:56 PM

The Sturmofficer is one of the main reasons I wanted to see Breakthrough Doctrine reworked.

I've noticed other officers being changed to provide benefits to one squad only, or everyone on the map. Both are good ways to avoid blobbing.

On the other hand, there are already penalties associated with the blob in that everyone retreats if the officer is killed. That's a pretty clever solution that gives a clear counterplay option.
And like Sander said, the bonus is not great.

Overall, the unit isn't too imbalanced; it's just awkward.
29 Nov 2018, 21:02 PM

One word. 6 letters. The most hardcounter of all hardcounter counters OF ANYTHING.

B O F O R S

Ya it hardcounters ur chance of winning the game.
30 Nov 2018, 07:56 AM

Yeah it could use some rework. I mean i like my double sturmpios with 10% accuracy boost and mark target on infantry but its so awkward to use. Particuraly when that random mortar wipes officer and nearby units are on their way back to the base.

30 Nov 2018, 08:16 AM

OKW sturm officer just needs to be removed from the game. One of the most stupid ideas in the entire game.
30 Nov 2018, 09:06 AM

There should be a mechanic that gives received accuracy penalties to squads in close proximity to each other to prevent this (like +15% RA for every squad within 10 range), but that's something for CoH3 I guess.

Ive tried to suggest this for years but I imagine relic just doesnt care about it enough to rework it so COH3 most likely as you mention :(
30 Nov 2018, 09:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2018, 09:06 AMLatch

Ive tried to suggest this for years but I imagine relic just doesnt care about it enough to rework it so COH3 most likely as you mention :(

It was something in CoH1 you know.
30 Nov 2018, 14:56 PM

83 % Of players LOVE Infantry blobbing.
They DEMANDED this of Relic as a condition to buying the game.
You say you want this unit out...
but if this game had 1 player a week you'd shrug and say 'bah, dead game"

Relic understands this.
30 Nov 2018, 17:30 PM

I agree that the actual Sturmofficer should be reworked. The new OKW commander could include the new version (Sturmofficer should be a real combat unit with vet) so Breakthrough would get a buff too.

30 Nov 2018, 17:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Nov 2018, 17:30 PMSmartie

I agree that the actual Sturmofficer should be reworked. The new OKW commander could include the new version (Sturmofficer should be a real combat unit with vet) so Breakthrough would get a buff too.

Agreed. The current officer has some nice muni abilities, so maybe they could work around some different ones instead of the aura? Also, not vetting is just plain stupid.
30 Nov 2018, 18:25 PM

Breakthrough definitely needs reworked... it's not even worthwhile using it for Fusi spam anymore after they fixed their insane Vet bonuses. The officer would be fine if they made the boost timed like the OST Arty officer and remove the annoying retreat mechanic. Change the Assault Artillery to not be around Capping points and then you have a usable commander... such an easy fix with minimal possible balance concerns.
30 Nov 2018, 18:28 PM

If the sturm officer was a mix of basicly other officers I think it would be wicked. Off map smoke, the current mark target, some fucking vet... Shared EXP, maybe an activated aura that's a bit better and have the retreat mechanic while that's active only?
1 Dec 2018, 07:48 AM

If the sturm officer was a mix of basicly other officers I think it would be wicked. Off map smoke, the current mark target, some fucking vet... Shared EXP, maybe an activated aura that's a bit better and have the retreat mechanic while that's active only?

Imo a new Sturmofficer should live up to his name and be a fast, mobile unit with high firepower.He should -of course- loose some of his current abilities like the stupid aura buff. Retreat mechanic would make zero sense because of the name of the unit, so no fear;)

My idea of the new unit would be a better version of the Wehrmacht's Panzergrens:
  • 5 men squad with 4&STG44 (Officer model with Pistol)
  • can be upgraded with 2 Schrecks for 100 mun
  • Same basic vet stats like Pzgrens but with bonus abilities:
    - Sprint ability with vet level 1
    - unit get access to smoke grenade with vet 3 (shared cooldown with bundles)
    - can use propaganda leaves at level 5
  • Unit costs 400 MP and comes at 3CP

All in all the Sturmofficer would loose his annoying aura which supports blobbing. He would be a real combat unit who would be a lot better than Sturmpios,had better survivability than Pzgrens
    and would give OKW finally a decent hand held AT option.

1 Dec 2018, 12:50 PM

Make the unit more of something like COH Knight's Cross Holders, 3-4 man squad armed with stg44s with the officer armed with pistol, strong against infantry at mid-close range, have assault grenadier-style grenade with faster animation, reduce or remove command aura.
Start with off-map smoke barrage at vet0, gain Inspire (make targeted infantry unit sprint and get temporary RA bonus) at vet1, gain propaganda barrage at vet2 and off-map mortar barrage at vet3, gain small combat bonuses at vet1-3 and better bonuses at vet4-5. If they have too many abilities then perhaps no mortar barrage.
1 Dec 2018, 13:47 PM
1 Dec 2018, 18:16 PM

Yeah it could use some rework. I mean i like my double sturmpios with 10% accuracy boost and mark target on infantry but its so awkward to use. Particuraly when that random mortar wipes officer and nearby units are on their way back to the base.

This happens way too often to make the unit useful. I try it occasionally and always regret buying it, particularly because the retreat seems to be tied to just one model and not the whole squad.
1 Dec 2018, 18:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2018, 18:16 PMGrumpy

This happens way too often to make the unit useful. I try it occasionally and always regret buying it, particularly because the retreat seems to be tied to just one model and not the whole squad.

Well as long as it provides an AOE I think it's necessary. Okw are going to blob sure as ducks dick drags weeds so any way to buff them... Live by the blob die by the blob.
1 Dec 2018, 18:40 PM

Imo a new Sturmofficer should live up to his name and be a fast, mobile unit with high firepower.He should -of course- loose some of his current abilities like the stupid aura buff. Retreat mechanic would make zero sense because of the name of the unit, so no fear;)

My idea of the new unit would be a better version of the Wehrmacht's Panzergrens:
  • 5 men squad with 4&STG44 (Officer model with Pistol)
  • can be upgraded with 2 Schrecks for 100 mun
  • Same basic vet stats like Pzgrens but with bonus abilities:
    - Sprint ability with vet level 1
    - unit get access to smoke grenade with vet 3 (shared cooldown with bundles)
    - can use propaganda leaves at level 5
  • Unit costs 400 MP and comes at 3CP

All in all the Sturmofficer would loose his annoying aura which supports blobbing. He would be a real combat unit who would be a lot better than Sturmpios,had better survivability than Pzgrens
    and would give OKW finally a decent hand held AT option.

i like it. im sold.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 44
Sweden 27
Poland 9
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L