Login

russian armor

Contest: New Maxim vet1 ability

4 Apr 2017, 11:13 AM

Instead of a sandbags the shield could provide some direction protection acting as cover scaling with veterancy.
4 Apr 2017, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2017, 09:46 AMVipper
A very unconventional idea:
Since Soviet have little access to AA weapons maxim can now be toggle stops firing on ground targets and fires on airplanes.

For some reason, the first thing i thought with this was putting them inside an M3/M5 HT. That would be bad for balance but good for the lulz.

4 Apr 2017, 12:45 PM
4 Apr 2017, 12:58 PM

Title says "CONTEST..." I wonder who is winning?

You're all winning!
4 Apr 2017, 14:20 PM

What about a "Suppressing Fire" ability: something that increases the received suppression of a targeted squad - 30 Munitions or so to increase received suppression by X% - allows you pin a troublesome squad quickly for a cost. Doesn't really support Maxim spam since its gated by Munitions and doesn't make Maxims OP because its a single targeted squad as opposed to a raw stat increase.

4 Apr 2017, 14:44 PM

"Indirect Volley fire"... Increase range of the m1910 like "Take aim" of the US 6pdr. Uses muni for it.

Reasoning: Maxim has the smallest arc of all MGs, without sprint and the quick set up time, it is hard to use it properly to support offense. Increasing the range, which will indirectly "increase the arc" as the cone is wider further away, would make it movable and be able to support offense
4 Apr 2017, 14:51 PM

For vet 1 ability:
Maxim get bonuses the longer it remains static, those might include:
Wider cone
More sight radius
Faster tracking
faster reload
cover bonuses
passive healing
4 Apr 2017, 14:52 PM

I know its been suggested in here already, but giving them a little bit more suppression when they're near another Soviet squad would be my vote. Its a bit heavy-handed, but it should work.
4 Apr 2017, 14:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2017, 14:51 PMVipper
For vet 1 ability:
Maxim get bonuses the longer it remains static...

I like that. If you pick the proper bonus and the proper time before it kicks in it will work great.

As a matter of fact, you could straight up nerf the maxim as it is in live and implement a mechanic like that from vet0.
4 Apr 2017, 14:59 PM

It sounds ok but the reload at the start sounds clunky as hell. It'll slow the whole thing down. If the ability insta-supresses all squads in the arc then it'd be worth it.

Keep in mind that the vet 1 on the MG42 and 34 both require a reload before they start. This helps prevent them from switching to AP and instantly wiping the unit in the arc. It also forces a little fore sight.

If an ability like this was triggered the suppression would be extremely high, it would basically force instant suppression and rapid pins. However, you wouldn't be very effective vs. another MG because you would need to reload under fire, and you would lose DPS so the other MG could just wait it out if you had sufficient cover. The goal here is to build out the MG's function without making it work independently of other units.
4 Apr 2017, 15:18 PM
Strategist Badge

Basically i like the idea of having the maxim crew (being that its 6 man) do something useful. Maybe a 'crew repair the Maxim' ability or the crew do some USF RE style volley fire thing.

4 Apr 2017, 16:21 PM

Let me make a wise suggestion:

-for 20-30 ammo a 20-30 sec ability, let the maxim increase its sight range but only inside the arc fire, loosing vision from out of the arc (USF AT gun Style). That'd be usefull for using a maxim covering a VP/area in case you need extra sight.

Not an OP ability, munition sink, and useful if captured by the enemy.
4 Apr 2017, 17:55 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Basically i like the idea of having the maxim crew (being that its 6 man) do something useful. Maybe a 'crew repair the Maxim' ability or the crew do some USF RE style volley fire thing.

Do not get your maxim stolen or recrewed with any semi/full automatic weapon cause it would be pretty bad.
4 Apr 2017, 18:58 PM

Do not get your maxim stolen or recrewed with any semi/full automatic weapon cause it would be pretty bad.

Yeah people forget the vet 1 ability trades to captured weapons too lol.
4 Apr 2017, 22:20 PM

Forward observations:
"A Maxim crew member will climb the highest point of the occupied building, and survey the battlefield, calling out enemy units they see."
30 (25 with vet) muni ability for a 30 second increased sight radius around the building.
The bigger the building, the greater the sight
5 Apr 2017, 07:19 AM

Maxim crew can now build trenches but only maxims can occupy them.
5 Apr 2017, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2017, 07:19 AMVipper
Maxim crew can now build British-Version trenches but only your maxims can occupy them.

:megusta:

I mean, while we're at it.
5 Apr 2017, 13:57 PM

Short "Hit the Dirt" ability

For 20 muni, all Maxim crew members will hit the dirt, taking 20% less damage, incoming acc and suppression for 6 seconds.

Would be useful when flanked or if player needs to stay under mortar fire a few more seconds.
5 Apr 2017, 14:35 PM

Short "Hit the Dirt" ability

For 20 muni, all Maxim crew members will hit the dirt, taking 20% less damage, incoming acc and suppression for 6 seconds.

Would be useful when flanked or if player needs to stay under mortar fire a few more seconds.

Aren't MGs supposed to be vulnerable to flanking or mortar fire?
Reminds me of "Brace" ability.
5 Apr 2017, 14:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Aren't MGs supposed to be vulnerable to flanking or mortar fire?
Reminds me of "Brace" ability.

I didn't see a problem with it at first, but when I think about it, 20% less damage taken probably would a fairly close-to guaranteed "Can't wipe me" button. A squad tossing a grenade at the Maxim while just getting caught in the Maxim's arc of fire should punish the Maxim, right?

Also, probably shouldn't give the Maxim a reduction to incoming suppression because the sons of bitches already 1v1 the Axis HMGs every time *shakes fist* ...perhaps the other Maxim changes might alleviate that pattern, though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★