If you like 1v1, I can't find any reason I would pick CoH2 over CoH1. CoH1 is lightyears ahead in that regard.
If you like 3v3/4v4, stick with CoH2. That's because of CoH1's poor map pool (enormous maps with 0 cover), no way to queue up as arranged teams and the fact that CoH1 pacing simply doesn't work when you have other players covering for you (e.g,. sniper blobs).
For 2v2, you have to pick your poison; CoH1 sniper abuse vs CoH2 OKW/Brits.
CoH2 has had, up-to so far the "unfair" advantage of receiving semi-regular updates that helped scramble up the meta. Even though there have been amazing patches to the game (e.g., the pre-Brit one), the game has always felt lacking in one way or another after WFA armies were introduced (I don't know what CoH2 was like before WFA; DLC commander meta was too disgusting for me to bother with the game).
With respect to strategic diversity, CoH1 had global upgrades that you had to account for. CoH2 tried to have some strategic diversity added with non-linear teching. Unfortunately, non-linear teching simply doesn't work when half of the tiers are outright unviable (or with no synergy with the core faction), and the other half only allows for limited variations of the same build order.
This leaves most CoH2 factions with half of their tech tree being completely useless. Strategic diversity came with patches mixing up the meta and forcing people to try out the other tiers. Without updates, CoH2 meta becomes stale as fuck pretty quickly.
If you ever plan on moving from CoH2 to CoH1, you might, initially, miss some UI and QoL updates. However you certainly won't miss CoH2 robotic squad behaviour or CoH2-style garrisons. Tank battles are a question of taste mostly, but I have always found CoH1's deflection and critical-oriented system way more interesting and fun than CoH2's penetration system.
Profile of Mr.Smith
Posts: 2154 | Subs: 16
Post History of Mr.Smith
Thread: COH1 and COH2?Today, 12:42 PM
Thread: Up-to-date unit guides for CoH1?18 Sep 2017, 13:20 PM
I've been playing and enjoying CoH1 way too much. However, there are some party-pooper strats I haven't managed to figure out how to counter.
How do you counter ketten-push cancer, pushing squads off capture points and resetting cap progress? Are you supposed to outblob them, or you pre-emptively move your squad before the push and try to click the flag before the other guy clicks the flag?
Also, is it just my idea, or do Bar-ed up riflemen perform worse than unupgraded riflemen in 1v1 vs Volks? How do you beat Volks squads 1v1 if the enemy pops a medkit at the beginning of the fight? Any tips?
In: COH Central
Thread: Company of Heroes 2 Not so Balanced US Forces need real Buff10 Sep 2017, 10:50 AM
10 Sep 2017, 07:25 AMjagd wölfe
You seem to be referencing stat.coh2.hu a lot. It's a good thing that you're trying to back your arguments with facts. Unfortunately, stat.coh2.hu doesn't report stats correctly.
- For whatever reason of their chosing, they decided to round numbers at the 2nd decimal point. This gives people the illusion that unequal stuff is equal. For instance Jackson far accuracy is 0.035 (and not 0.04 as the site reports), whereas JP4 far accuracy is 0.04
- What stats.coh2.hu shows as penetration is penetration mid. However, there's penetration far and penetration near, and penetration far matters a whole lot more for TD's
- Their DPS calculation for burst weapons is way off
- Even if their DPS calculations were correct for Near and Far, there's also something called mid range, which is also never shown
Just click on Cruzz's DPS spreadsheet/stats site linked in my sig.
In: COH2 Balance
Thread: Unofficial Revamp mod (EFA & WFA & Brits)10 Sep 2017, 09:47 AM
10 Sep 2017, 08:10 AMjagd wölfe
OKW has salvage and kubelwagens to make up for lack of caches.
Caches were nerfed, and OKW also received a handful new tools and changes to compensate elsewhere:
- Sturmpioneer/ISG Smoke
- Obers/JP4 that can arrive way earlier than before
- A fixed economy, so that OKW is neither required nor capable to float enormous amount of manpower while waiting for vehicles (P4/P5 pricing)
- Unit special abilities arriving about twice as fast (at new Vet3 rather than having to wait for old Vet5)
Thread: Unofficial Revamp mod (EFA & WFA & Brits)10 Sep 2017, 09:32 AM
10 Sep 2017, 07:23 AMJae For Jett
The greyhound also gets faster reload speed. Luchs also lost the ridiculous 100% hitrate vs vehicles. Therefore the Greyhound can stop and fire, whereas the Luchs will have to constantly choose between stopping to be accurate and following the enemy vehicle to keep up.
However, that's not greyhound's main job; greyhound is an infantry murdering machine. Greyhound also does quite well vs paks with its cannister shot & MG combo. That's the main reason it has to come out later. The greyhound far outperforms other light vehicles in an AI role. All in all, greyhound is that bit of oomph that Recon doctrine needed to keep up with other USF doctrines.
So far, in every mod game we've played people were building their core-army light vehicles and then called Greyhound as an icing on the cake to deliver the killing blow. That was before we swapped Stuart/AAHT locations though.
Thread: Unofficial Revamp mod (EFA & WFA & Brits)9 Sep 2017, 09:59 AM
5 Sep 2017, 21:55 PMChocoboknight88
That's kind of a feature.
Everybody receives the full bonuses of captured team-weapons/vehicles and OKW equipment is no exception. Vet-5 has been brought down to line with other factions, therefore receiving any less than that would make captured equipment feel bad.
We might refine it in the future, so that those squads show 3 stars when they are receiving vet5-equivalent bonuses. However, for logistic purposes, I don't expect this to happen until we feel there are no more changes needed in the mod.
8 Sep 2017, 19:40 PMvasa1719
That's because the changes make the Greyhound the king of the light vehicles, and it never goes bad, even in the late-game.
3 CP and people could use it to completely wreck enemies in low-resource maps (e.g., Caen, etc).
Thread: Create Build Limit On Units6 Sep 2017, 09:19 AM
Say you want to allow people to create no more than 4 Panthers throughout the entire game.
We have already implemented something like this for Lieutenant/Captain/Major in the Revamp mod, to make their squad shield visible while you tech:
Basically, what we did (and you have to copy by substituting Lieutenant with Panther) is:
- the lieutenant_first squad is an invisible squad captures the cost of the lieutenant tier
- When the lieutenant_first squad is built, the squad orders the main building to call-in a real lieutenant squad, and the fake lieutenant squad suicides
In your case you want to extend this as follows:
- Create a panthers_built player upgrade that can stack up to at least 4 times (local_limit >= 4)
- your panther_fake squad also adds a player_target_action -> add upgrade (panthers_built) for each Panther built
- Add a requirement for panther_fake for fewer-than 3 panthers_built slot items
- Keep the squad_requirement for panther_first for 1; that way players can't building 3 panthers, and then queue 3 panthers to cheat the limit
PS: Make sure you test your mod against what happens if you have multiple T4 buildings laid down. Our workaround works for USF because you can only ever have one of each building as USF.
PS2: if you want to allow players to queue panther-built commands, there is still away to implement this and be secure, but it's a bit more complicated:
have a look at bren_lmg_governor_upgrade. This upgrade controls that sapper squads can't get more than 1 Bren at the same time. if somebody queued multiple buy commands, the squad still gets one bren, and the rest are refunded (so that you don't pay munition for nothing). You can copy the requirement_action structure and remove the panther_fake squad requirement.
Thread: [Question] Weapon Penetration6 Sep 2017, 09:07 AM
I don't think you can get a more realistic penetration system than the one implemented for the Fortress Europe mod:
Unfortunately, I've absolutely no idea how Eliw00d & co managed to implement any of that, but I am pretty sure it involves god-level knowledge of SCAR.
You can probably add a target table entry for Churchill vs Tigers for penetration, but that will also affect rear armour penetration.
Instead, if you want to differentiate between front hits and rear hits, the only way I can dream of this being possible is fool around with the critical_ext system under ebps.
In order to make this work, you need to:
- Assign a particular damage type to Churchil main gun (e.g., small_explosives, big_explosives) that is not used by anything else (unfortunately, Relic made it impossible to create new weapon_types, so you have to move things together
- Most likely, you will have to move all small_explosive weapons to big_explosive, and use small_explosive for your churchill gun
- For every critical group under health_ext, you need to add some extra stuff to execute for penetrating rear hits or deflecting front hits, so as to increase the potential of the front-armour with respect to rear-armour
- e.g., you can decrease Churchill penetration vs Tiger by a lot, but make it so that the tiger receives an additional 25% damage per rear penetrating hits from the Churchill weapon
- Finally, you have to go through every single entity type in the game; infantry, buildings, etc and make sure that they can receive the death critical from the weapon type you used (otherwise, your gun won't be able to finish stuff off)
Needless to say, this is a bit complicated; you should probably only defer to this solution at the final stages of your mod building.
As a rule of thumb, you want your mod to be easily modifiable/testable while you build up its core features. Then, once you feel you're done and you want to add some final touches, you add the messy bits and test your mod again.
Thread: [Question] Anomaly In Editor6 Sep 2017, 08:50 AM
Yellow-coloured stuff usually denotes developer comments. I don't remember how to read the content of those comments precisely.
Thread: How to add auto target enemy units for Leig 183 Sep 2017, 13:42 PM
This is msot likely one of thw team_weapon entries either in sbos or ebos. I can't remenber which. If auto targeting wmworks on open spaces but doesn't work with obstacles it might be due to the projectile or some shotblocking attrributes.
I am away from my main rig and I can't check that for you. Let me know how that works out
Latest replays uploaded by Mr.Smith
Ladders Top 10