Login

russian armor

Contest: New Maxim vet1 ability

3 Apr 2017, 08:37 AM

3 Apr 2017, 08:38 AM

Pay X muni, increase AoE suppression (through any means) by Y for Z seconds.

- Spamming maxims won't get much from this ability as it have low stacking value (also because there is a muni cost attached)
- It supplements what MGs are about - crowd control/force multiplier
- It helps to handle situation which often frustrates SU player - inability to control infantry blobs with your stock MG
3 Apr 2017, 09:21 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Apr 2017, 21:59 PMJB.
Not One Step Back

For 20 munitions Maxim can't be suppressed for 8~ seconds, but is immobile and can't rotate its arc. If in suppression it breaks suppression and fires normally.

It would come in useful in MG wars, when both are setting up, rushing to suppress the other or when they are already set up and you want to return fire. It's a fairly situational ability, which I'm guessing is what you want, as you you don't want to buff the Maxim by giving it an ability it uses all the time. It's also skillful, as you have to gauge before using it whether:

1. It's worth 20 munitions to suppress their MG at this moment in time and
2. If you'll be able to suppress their MG and manage not to get flanked, or worse decrewed, during the 8 second immobility.

its not like maxims don't already win all mg wars... why an ability so they win mg wars even more?
JB.
3 Apr 2017, 11:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2017, 09:21 AMspajn

its not like maxims don't already win all mg wars... why an ability so they win mg wars even more?

Well with its nerf to set to times and suppression, this isn't going to be the case much longer.

With abilities that are flat stat increases like; burst duration increase, reload rate increase, damage increase and suppression increases, these are not really situational as there are few scenarios where it would be a bad idea to use them. Therefore you can spam them when you have the munitions.

Not One Step Back has the advantage of being situational. You'll only use it in MG wars. Also if this patch does the job, Maxim spam won't be as common and the scenarios where MGs face MGs will be less often. It's not an ability you can spam and you'll probably use it 2/3 times a match max. It also has draw backs, it's not an ability you mindlessly click. If you use the ability and force their MG off, that's not going to be much good to you if they got around your Maxim and decrewed it during the 8 second immobility.
3 Apr 2017, 15:38 PM

"Hold The Line" - 25 Munitions For Some Amount of Reduced Received Accuracy (15-20%??? for 30 Seconds (only when Set-Up/Not in a Garrison). Ideal because Soviets have no real defensive structures are you rely on Maxims for area denial but useful for all factions.

Additional Options
- Additional Bonus if in friendly territory
- Higher Effect and/or Cost but Unable to Retreat when in effect (Risk/Reward)

"Hail of Bullets" - A Centaur Strafing Fire type ability that Pins(or heavy suppression) of all squads caught in the arc of the ability but causes the Maxim to overheat for X (10-15?) Seconds and is unable to fire - say 35-50 Munitions? Damage Modifiers applied as needed.
3 Apr 2017, 16:45 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2017, 11:27 AMJB.

Well with its nerf to set to times and suppression, this isn't going to be the case much longer.

With abilities that are flat stat increases like; burst duration increase, reload rate increase, damage increase and suppression increases, these are not really situational as there are few scenarios where it would be a bad idea to use them. Therefore you can spam them when you have the munitions.

Not One Step Back has the advantage of being situational. You'll only use it in MG wars. Also if this patch does the job, Maxim spam won't be as common and the scenarios where MGs face MGs will be less often. It's not an ability you can spam and you'll probably use it 2/3 times a match max. It also has draw backs, it's not an ability you mindlessly click. If you use the ability and force their MG off, that's not going to be much good to you if they got around your Maxim and decrewed it during the 8 second immobility.

maxims win because they have a much larger health pool than any other mg, simple as that.
JB.
3 Apr 2017, 16:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2017, 16:45 PMspajn

maxims win because they have a much larger health pool than any other mg, simple as that.

Thank you for your opinion, but since neither of us have played the upcoming patch, we can only speculate how well MGs will perform in relation to one another. I have full confidence in the Balance team to choose whatever Vet 1 ability they feel is best suited to the Maxim :)
3 Apr 2017, 17:06 PM

man, this thread is full of horrible ideas, people just don't think their ideas for 5 seconds before posting...

Also, people need to remember that mgs can be stolen, and if the ability makes it crippling against soviets nobody will make maxims anymore out of fear to be completely fucked by their own weapons.

Pay X muni, increase AoE suppression (through any means) by Y for Z seconds.

- Spamming maxims won't get much from this ability as it have low stacking value (also because there is a muni cost attached)
- It supplements what MGs are about - crowd control/force multiplier
- It helps to handle situation which often frustrates SU player - inability to control infantry blobs with your stock MG

I was about to post that, only sensible thing that can be done. I get so mad when 3 squads charge my maxim and I can only supress one of them while the other 2 side-step and grenade the hell of my mg.
3 Apr 2017, 17:17 PM

Suppressive fire: The maxim will take advantage of its water cooled jacket to fire a continuous stream of bullets, suppressing all infantry units within arc rapidly. The maxim will deal less damage during this time.

The triggering of this ability causes the maxim to reload, at which time it then fires continuously for 10-15 seconds suppressing all infantry in arc. Damage is reduced by half (or more). After completion the maxim must reload again and maybe has a cooldown of 2-4 seconds before it fires again.

This would cement the maxim's roll as a suppression unit requiring support to succeed. While giving the player an option between a high suppression (triggered ability) and a high damage (normal fire) mode. The forced reload ensures there is a tradeoff, you don't just hit it and suppress another MG instantly, while also providing a way for future vet levels to help build on one another.
3 Apr 2017, 17:27 PM

Trip wire?

Edit: Think keeping sprint would make sense, if the nerfs to its performance in terms of dmg/suppression are great enough. And it makes sense with the thing being on wheels and such.

Maybe some other thing could be that, for paying muni, the maxim could move while firing for a brief duration? :)
3 Apr 2017, 17:43 PM

Button vehicles? 20 munitions to blind an enemy tank for 6-8 seconds, and giving slight movement penalties to synergize with conscripts, AT guns and possibly penals.

Otherwise, a slight accuracy buff, faster turn rate in buildings, gun rotation speed when set up or a combination of these would be nice ideas.

Or we might just give AP rounds for the lolz
3 Apr 2017, 18:08 PM

Extra AOE suppression on a muni ability would be nice.

Button would be amusing, but soviets already have hella snares.
4 Apr 2017, 01:36 AM

Suppressive fire: The maxim will take advantage of its water cooled jacket to fire a continuous stream of bullets, suppressing all infantry units within arc rapidly. The maxim will deal less damage during this time.

The triggering of this ability causes the maxim to reload, at which time it then fires continuously for 10-15 seconds suppressing all infantry in arc. Damage is reduced by half (or more). After completion the maxim must reload again and maybe has a cooldown of 2-4 seconds before it fires again.

This would cement the maxim's roll as a suppression unit requiring support to succeed. While giving the player an option between a high suppression (triggered ability) and a high damage (normal fire) mode. The forced reload ensures there is a tradeoff, you don't just hit it and suppress another MG instantly, while also providing a way for future vet levels to help build on one another.

i like this sounds dope as shit
4 Apr 2017, 09:31 AM

i like this sounds dope as shit

It sounds ok but the reload at the start sounds clunky as hell. It'll slow the whole thing down. If the ability insta-supresses all squads in the arc then it'd be worth it.
4 Apr 2017, 09:32 AM

Vet1? Soviet Unit?

What's the question? Give it a Flare Mine ability already!
4 Apr 2017, 09:46 AM

A very unconventional idea:
Since Soviet have little access to AA weapons maxim can now be toggle stops firing on ground targets and fires on airplanes.
4 Apr 2017, 09:51 AM

I was about to post that, only sensible thing that can be done. I get so mad when 3 squads charge my maxim and I can only supress one of them while the other 2 side-step and grenade the hell of my mg.

Such a brave little maxim, fighting 3 squads by itself and not even moving under threat of grenade.

So brave....

Seriously, so much faction envy. Every faction fanboy cries about grass being greener for every other faction. Everyone wants to trade up to a better unit, beit mg42, pak40, kt, comet etc etc. To many one eye fanboys.

4 Apr 2017, 10:42 AM
Strategist Badge

I think it needs testing to determine how big/powerful vet1 ability it needs. provided it is in a good place i would like to see an ability where the crew build a small sandbag in front of the maxim which breaks after the maxim moves.

So you get fast green cover but coz it breaks after you don't end up with loads of green cover everywhere.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 20
Germany 400

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment