Login

russian armor

PAK-43, static Howitzers, and Emplacements rework.

14 Feb 2021, 12:02 PM

3 easy clicks to put down a barrage, what a waste of resources indeed. Not to mention diminishing returns on your big micro saving investment turning on counter barrage when it fails to hit anything when you could've regular barraged a much more target rich environment instead.

It's a meh ability and generally a bad investment compared to a regular barrage. Easy micro barraging a target rich environment > no micro shooting at a lone artillery piece with a tiny chance of hitting it.

finding a target, not doing anything at else at the time are factors.
tiny chances can define games

its mostly an issue in team games as i said, where there may be more than 1 lefh around, and certainly more things to trigger it. setting 1 for that "tiny" chance to destroy any form of indirect, or at a minimum make the area around them possibly zone for a wipe (preists and sextons often maneuver nearer to the front to barrage) is broken.it may be meh in small modes but in team games it can be incredibly strong. id hope that a member of the balance team would understand that.

it doesnt just trigger on lone arty. it triggers on mortars trying to lay smoke, zis barraging, rockets firing, things that happen in abundance in team games and the ability to set up the game to automatically punish them is bad design for the same reason brit emplacements are bad design- the game shouldnt play itself. this sint supposed to be a tower defense game
14 Feb 2021, 12:24 PM

Makes me think of the Imperial Guard's "Heavy weapon team" in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade+.

14 Feb 2021, 13:51 PM

I view the 17pdr and Pak43 as single use units. Once the enemy knows their location they are often rendered worthless.

I'd rate the Pak43 over the 17pdr due to its cheaper price and ability to shoot through shit blockers.

Static artillery is fine, although the LefH is far superior to the ML20 and CB is borderline broken.
14 Feb 2021, 14:07 PM

In case you missed this thread about counter barrage earlier

In regards to the pak43 and 17 pounder, they are a one trick pony in my book (unless the other team hasnt a counter). The only reason ill rate the pak 43 higher is the fact on any heavy building orientated maps or annoying shot blockers (especially in 3v3)it can be a real pain in the ass.

14 Feb 2021, 14:09 PM
Donator 11

Unless you haven't played the game for at least a couple of years now, static pieces require fuel as well.

I'm also interested in what happened to your CoH clone, are you keeping faithful to Relic's original ideas like you're preaching on these forums as well or...?

As far as the OP is concerned, I think that this is a brilliant idea, the same as the mobile OKW trucks that several mods have implemented now too, which will never unfortunately see the light of day.

CoH's concept is a war of movement and that's why the British largely suffer through both of the games but according to some "pros" and the people in charge of development that's fine because it's different and unique even if it's also broken or ineffective at the same time.

OST and SU have mobile rocket arty if they want mobile arty. I believe the static arty have better stats than self-propelled too
14 Feb 2021, 15:07 PM

Thing is, the second enemy\you dont have offmap + recon combo, which is cancer on its own right, arty spam in team games become real.

And you shouldnt really even start on "but player will have less units", it really doesn't matter at all.

Single Soviets can easily have 2 ML-20, B4s. Single Ost\OKW can have 2 LeFH. While still have enouth of an army to provide team with inf and some armor.

This problem is complicated and connected to other multiple problems. My approach would be.

1) Firstly locking LeFH\ML-20\B4 to 1 per player. This will bring them in line with how they are used and perform in 1v1\2v2.
2) Secondly maybe buffing units accordingly, because at this point they cant be spammed in teamgames. Worst case scenario, 4 of them could be build by 4 diffrent players in 4v4, if all players chose commanders with them.
3) This will open gate to balancing offmap+recon, because after previous changes, nessesity of this combination will be objectively lower.

Speaking of PaK43 and 17-Pounder. They both have advantages and dis-advantages, but ultimate both have bad desing.

17-pounder is way too easy to destroy using artillery and AT-guns, while PaK43 surviability is a joke, because it can be insta decrewed by any inderect fire or inf.

Imo, they both should be building like emplacement, which take additional damage from any kind of grenades, regular damage from artillery but immune to small arms and AT guns should be much less effective against them.
15 Feb 2021, 08:18 AM

3 easy clicks to put down a barrage, what a waste of resources indeed. Not to mention diminishing returns on your big micro saving investment turning on counter barrage when it fails to hit anything when you could've regular barraged a much more target rich environment instead.

It's a meh ability and generally a bad investment compared to a regular barrage. Easy micro barraging a target rich environment > no micro shooting at a lone artillery piece with a tiny chance of hitting it.

Does counter barrage have any sort of priorization on what it targets when its active? In teamgames its very random element as ive seen it fireing 4 diffirent targets in its range during barrages, ranging from rocket arty to pak howizers and mortars. Its one element i really hate in it.
15 Feb 2021, 08:25 AM

Does counter barrage have any sort of priorization on what it targets when its active? In teamgames its very random element as ive seen it fireing 4 diffirent targets in its range during barrages, ranging from rocket arty to pak howizers and mortars. Its one element i really hate in it.

It opens on first indirect fire in range and uses full barrage on it when cooldown is up.

It can shoot at B4, it can shoot at Scott.
15 Feb 2021, 11:16 AM

OST and SU have mobile rocket arty if they want mobile arty. I believe the static arty have better stats than self-propelled too

Large scatter, again requires fuels, short range but even if so, still more useful due to their mobility.

Meanwhile static pieces get obliterated a second after getting spotted by either enemy arty, off map arty or sneaky infantry/tank dive.

British emplacements are also more powerful than their other Army counterparts, however they can be easily dealt with again due to their static nature so what's your point exactly?

Nobody in their right mind builds sim city or a lot of static pieces simply because they will get annihilated, there are more counters to them than they have the time or space to be useful in.
15 Feb 2021, 16:19 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Thing is, the second enemy\you dont have offmap + recon combo, which is cancer on its own right, arty spam in team games become real.

And you shouldnt really even start on "but player will have less units", it really doesn't matter at all.

Single Soviets can easily have 2 ML-20, B4s. Single Ost\OKW can have 2 LeFH. While still have enouth of an army to provide team with inf and some armor.

This +1.

Heavy howitzers are easily countered by doctrines, most noteably the be-all doctrines, but if no one picks a doctrine with an offmap heavy howi spam becomes extremely difficult to defeat, and it only gets worse as the game lengthens. This is the core reason why a lot of us were against the popcap reductions on the LeFH and the ML-20 a few patches ago. The problem wasn't the howitzers, but their counters being everywhere.
Pip
15 Feb 2021, 16:31 PM

This +1.

Heavy howitzers are easily countered by doctrines, most noteably the be-all doctrines, but if no one picks a doctrine with an offmap heavy howi spam becomes extremely difficult to defeat, and it only gets worse as the game lengthens. This is the core reason why a lot of us were against the popcap reductions on the LeFH and the ML-20 a few patches ago. The problem wasn't the howitzers, but their counters being everywhere.

Honestly this is the main reason I'm making this suggestion. Reducing Howitzer range, while simultaneously making it less vulnerable to offmaps (through having more HP, and being able to be relocated) helps to solve both these issues. Howitzers will be more useful when the enemy has offmap "counters" to them, while being far less oppressive when they do not (due to having to be closer to the frontlines, which stops them being all but untouchable by the opponent's units)
15 Feb 2021, 16:45 PM

The potential problem with scuttle is that for it to work you'd have to do have the dismantle time be fairly quick (presumably because you anticipate an imminent off-map). Otherwise you get caught during the scuttle process and it's all for naught. I suppose you could balance it out by having the rebuild time be long enough so that you can't just effortlessly move it around constantly/ lose out on barraging time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS