Login

russian armor

64 bit beta for coh2

17 Sep 2020, 17:36 PM
Patrion 310

Thx Sturmpanther, Andy and devs for the update :)
17 Sep 2020, 17:56 PM

It was always kinda funny and sad at the same time, to see that neither Sega or Relic consider CoH2 as a project on life support by the community. And its recognised as a strong title.

Even if it wasnt that hard (and usually its quite hard) to transfer game to x64, it still took some time and efford to do so.

Still we didnt get any new content in terms of unlocked mod tools, new models and so on.

Not like I'm bitching about it, just find it kinda strange that CoH2 dont have proper, even small, dev team.

Hell, bringing new models\sounds\commanders are for sure easier then making x64 version.
17 Sep 2020, 17:58 PM

64-bit PogChamp I am fully impressed! Cant wait!
17 Sep 2020, 17:59 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Wow the performance increase is pretty crazy.

I'm on an i7 cpu and a gtx 1070 and with settings unchanged on a 1v1 I'm getting a 25-33% increase in frame rate from the beginning which is great. But there is a significant drop even with a handful (2-4) squads on-screen shooting at each other, but shifts from 50-70 fps.

overall a good improvement!
17 Sep 2020, 18:11 PM

It should. Modern processors/Win10 x64 handles 64bit executions much better than 32bit ones. Along with the higher memory availability to the game, it should definitely lead to more stable FPS, less crashes and better memory management. In theory, it should help greatly, but we will have to see the final result. Hence the BETA, to check how most systems handle the game, and how the 64bit client handles most systems. I remember back when first x64 Windows started rolling out that there were improvements in FPS/memory latency, etc. in 64 bit applications (compared to identical 32bit) only due to the fact that the 64bit OS + 64bit Program had much better registry optimization. I remember reading an article about it. How windows registry in 64 bit is vastly superior to 32 bit.

One thing people tend to forget is that even low range CPUs and GPUs are enough to play today's AAA games in fluid 60 FPS. In theory, a 1GHz core/memory clock in GPU and i5/Ryzen 5 level CPU has enough raw power to compute everything. The reason why people get bad performance comes from the communication between the hardware and software which is mediated by the API. Vulkan or DirectX. (efficiency of DX and Vulkan is still low, will need to wait for prodigy kids to optimize it)
With all that in mind, optimizations to the code by updating it to 64bit should lead to improved performance.

That's a great explanation, thanks. Look forward to the hopeful increased performance! Be good if more people can post their before and after fps.
17 Sep 2020, 18:28 PM

BUG LIST?
1) Brit emplacements placing is bugged. If you cant drop the emplacement, nothing is drawn on the screen.
17 Sep 2020, 18:54 PM

It was always kinda funny and sad at the same time, to see that neither Sega or Relic consider CoH2 as a project on life support by the community. And its recognised as a strong title.

Even if it wasnt that hard (and usually its quite hard) to transfer game to x64, it still took some time and efford to do so.

Still we didnt get any new content in terms of unlocked mod tools, new models and so on.

Not like I'm bitching about it, just find it kinda strange that CoH2 dont have proper, even small, dev team.

Hell, bringing new models\sounds\commanders are for sure easier then making x64 version.

I completely agree. Make x64 for what? And not to make, for example, a new model for the paratroopers in the Soviet "Airborne Forces" commander or to provide advanced modding tools that would a second breathe into the game.
17 Sep 2020, 19:01 PM

Bug: Stormtrooper MP-40 upgrade does not give MP-40s. Tactical assault ability is unlocked, but they still have Kar-98s.
17 Sep 2020, 19:05 PM

I completely agree. Make x64 for what?

A myriad of reasons that probably have to do with Microsoft. With the XBOX pass thing etc. Maybe moving it to actual Xbox requires a 64 bit program, etc.

The beta is missing the TWITCH panel on the main menu. Microsoft is not going to advertise for their competitors.

It all smells of Microsoft integration. Good or bad? Too early to tell. Any progress on making the game better is great progress in my eyes.

If it ends every other game starting with a bug splat that would be miraculous!
17 Sep 2020, 19:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2020, 19:05 PMRosbone

A myriad of reasons that probably have to do with Microsoft. With the XBOX pass thing etc. Maybe moving it to actual Xbox requires a 64 bit program, etc.

The beta is missing the TWITCH panel on the main menu. Microsoft is not going to advertise for their competitors.

It all smells of Microsoft integration. Good or bad? Too early to tell. Any progress on making the game better is great progress in my eyes.

If it ends every other game starting with a bug splat that would be miraculous!

To be honest, I don't think it will help the game. This will not give any significant influx of players, the game has already been distributed many times for free. Those who were really interested in it took the game long ago. But modding tools and the ability to add new models and textures would give new ones, units poured even new factions that fans have created. If it was available from the start, it could add so much grandeur to the game that fans have built over the years. CoH1 still lives on because of modding.
17 Sep 2020, 19:14 PM

I completely agree. Make x64 for what? And not to make, for example, a new model for the paratroopers in the Soviet "Airborne Forces" commander or to provide advanced modding tools that would a second breathe into the game.

So performance and general game reliability << some models you spend 0 times looking at?
How would that breath a 2nd life into the game? Literally 0 usefulness from models. Maybe rich Fortnite kids would want to have pink waifu paratroopers or something moddable...
17 Sep 2020, 19:17 PM

So performance and general game reliability << some models you spend 0 times looking at?
How would that breath a 2nd life into the game? Literally 0 usefulness from models. Maybe rich Fortnite kids would want to have pink waifu paratroopers or something moddable...

Damn it, for an eight year game? Oh yeah .. it's so helpful. Not when many years ago the forum was littered with topics about the performance of the game, then when the "Blizzard" system destroyed the performance of the game and instead of fixing it it was simply deleted. Yes, it is so timely.

17 Sep 2020, 19:40 PM

For anyone's interest in supposed performance gains;

I just ran the in-game benchmark twice in each 32bit and 64bit beta (so not going to really be representative of an actual match but was really curious).

I didn't see any massive gains in avg fps number at the end (definitely a couple frames or so), but did notice a gain in stability. That benchmark would always hitch at a couple points in 32bit for me. In 64bit beta it didn't happen. So the minimum frame rate number increased by a decent 17%, and so the maximum benefited with a modest 4% bump.
17 Sep 2020, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2020, 18:28 PMRosbone
BUG LIST?
1) Brit emplacements placing is bugged. If you cant drop the emplacement, nothing is drawn on the screen.

It's the same for all base buildings and deployable defences. The "can't build here" models are all missing.
17 Sep 2020, 20:15 PM

Ok Im not sure if feedback here gets read by relic but:

First impression is very good!!
Played almost 3 hours nonstop without restarting on big snow maps... in normal coh2 I would have gotten either a bugsplat, dumpfile error or graphic bug during that time.

In this build, none of it!

After the 4th match, I had small framedrops occasionally, but that could have been bad luck or because of my settings, since I have v-sync and antialiasing turned off.

17 Sep 2020, 20:15 PM

For anyone's interest in supposed performance gains;

I just ran the in-game benchmark twice in each 32bit and 64bit beta (so not going to really be representative of an actual match but was really curious).

I didn't see any massive gains in avg fps number at the end (definitely a couple frames or so), but did notice a gain in stability. That benchmark would always hitch at a couple points in 32bit for me. In 64bit beta it didn't happen. So the minimum frame rate number increased by a decent 17%, and so the maximum benefited with a modest 4% bump.

That is great. AVG fps would increase a bit, but not substantially, but min FPS increase is great.
17 Sep 2020, 20:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I guess this is one of those things i never expected to ever happened, specially after the latest news about the game.
17 Sep 2020, 20:22 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Yeah looking good so far, i turned everything on max and played on snowmaps 4vs4 with human vs cpu. 20 min and 1 hour games. and it worked that we loaded into a 4th game!

and yes also the rank symbol are missing. only the number is there.

17 Sep 2020, 21:24 PM

So what does this actually mean in real terms.

Do I have to pay for gamepass through microsoft?

Or can I use it in Beta for free?

Will our commanders change over to new version once the beta goes live?

For those who dont use Microsoft for anything, will anything change apart from hopefully new players and 64bit?

Is it confirmed they will release match patch at same time as going live?
17 Sep 2020, 21:29 PM
Donator 11

Beta is free - you can activate in game properties - does mean you cant play with 32 bit players atm though
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 4
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment