The Dec 5th patch really makes the game feel like a true experience. It is almost at a true release state. Not there yet, but a huge improvement for the player experience.
CASUAL PLAYER STUFF THAT STILL NEEDS DONE BEFORE RELEASE (Feb 2024?)
1) No visible kill counts.
2) You cant have RED muni point icons, you just cant. All should be white (duh). Relic knows this, the minimap icons are white. So why the %&$^ are they not white in game. C'mon people work with me here. Use that lump 3 feet above your @$$.
3) AI is still useless. Never takes points ever. Never A-moves.
4) Pathing still sucks. This is an ongoing battle. Tell a vehicle to move forward 3 meters it drives in a 50 meter circle?
5) Game does not remember your Skirmish setup. After a skirmish, the game exits to the main menu instead of back to the skirmish menu. Have fun resetting up your game if you forgot something. You get to do the whole thing over. Enjoy. It also cant decide what armies should be what if you play any position besides slot 1.
Profile of Rosbone
Post History of Rosbone
Thread: COH3: Worth the try and buy? Yesterday, 22:50 PM
Thread: COH3: Worth the try and buy? 4 Dec 2023, 19:06 PM
4 Dec 2023, 18:36 PMOrangePest
Fair enough, i can't argue that really. Although i think atm its prolly a low priority for relic to fix since there are more pressing issues to contend with.
I had a very short list of things that would make me call Coh3 a playable game. Kill counter is about the only minor thing left.
1) MINOR: Specular/Environment mapped reflections needs work. But I can live without it. Every texture looks like chalk and the only light reflections are from the sun/moon object. Lacks realism.
2) MAJOR: Sound needs a ton of work. This could be a reason so many players have left Coh3. No feedback during the game.
3) MINOR: The menus lack a cohesive vision. That looks 10x better in the Dec 5th patch.
4) MINOR: The strategic point graphics are complete trash. Worse than Alpha test state. These are getting touched up in Dec 5th patch. However, having RED icons for fuel is unacceptable. Who is the moron who decided this??? Trying to do something different for the sake of being different. vCoh uses the correct WHITE icons. Coh2s icons sucked major ass but they were small so they were at least easy to ignore.
5) MINOR: Replays. Dec 5th adds replays. Observer mode is also needed. Not sure if that is in the patch? I was not upset about missing replays except that they were already there and a 3rd party could make them work but Relic couldn't?
So I give Relic credit. This patch is finally something for casuals to get excited about. This stuff should have all been done before meaningless balance patches that only affect a 100 - 200 players. The bulk of their money comes from casuals.
I have said this before, as a casual player and a Twitch viewer I want to know:
- Who is playing
- Their ranks
- Their colors
- Their spawn position
- Commander pick
- How many kills do their units have
Relic failed on every thing. And we were told all this stuff would be taken care of. It was not. None of it was. Typical Relic. Grandiose ideas but nothing gets done. John Carmack said something like "Any person can design a good game, but they cant execute it. The game is only as good as your execution.".
This is Relics main issue. They cant execute for whatever reason. This is why I keep saying I think David Phan being in charge may be the catalyst for good things to come. He seems intelligent and devoted to getting the game right. But I am a moron so.... there is that.
Thread: COH3: Worth the try and buy? 4 Dec 2023, 18:00 PM
4 Dec 2023, 15:57 PMOrangePest
There is a kill counter, when you hover over an veterancy bar it'll pop up.
Yes there is. That is unacceptable. Anyone who has ever watched a Twitch Stream would know that is not a valid option. You ask a streamer to stop playing every 5 seconds to hover over the kill counter.
It is just another thing that shows, Relic does not play their own game. Nor do they watch streams. Even with the addition of community members they still seem to be out of touch of the player base.
But I am premature, the kill counter may appear. It seems like there will be one for replays to some extent. But There are only a couple days left to voice our concerns so... FIX THAT SH%$&$^%$ YOU SMELLY A$$^$%^#$!!!!!
See you on the other side.
Thread: COH3: Worth the try and buy? 4 Dec 2023, 03:47 AM
From the recent Relic stream, it looks like there are no kill counts present on the UI yet. So that means I have to change my vote to 100% "No it is not ready for purchase yet".
But the patch is not here yet so ... maybe
Thread: COH3: Worth the try and buy? 30 Nov 2023, 19:50 PM
30 Nov 2023, 18:51 PMKreatiir
How are the AI's doing? Interesting or super easy to beat?
Once again, that changes depending on what you want out of the games.
The AI is both better and much worse than in Coh2.
- Never takes points, you have to do all the heavy lifting.
- Still tends to drive vehicles up your vehicles butts and block them (like Coh2).
- Always takes points.
- Drives vehicles into dumb places and parks in front of your AT guns.
- No Fog of War and moves to wherever you tell your units to go (like Coh2).
- Knows where your camera is pointed and attacks as soon as you look away.
- Do not A-move. They just walk right past each other not attacking on occasion.
With some of those dumb things pointed out, you can still get great games. You will just get immersion breaking things popup once in a while.
You can get sweaty micro-intensive fights on large maps. And you can get longer high duration intense fights with more closed off/narrow maps.
In my opinion, sometimes the dumber AI makes better games. I always had amazing long battles in vCoh, but had slightly less fun in Coh2. Coh3 is more like vCoh where the AI is not as good but it makes for funner games. Just immersion breaking once in a while.
To me, the comp stomp scene is where Coh3 has the most value right now.
Thread: COH3: Worth the try and buy? 30 Nov 2023, 18:16 PM
That depends on what mode you play. And will it bother you that 20% of the game is still unfinished and buggy.
1) Single Player Campaign: This mode has been panned by most people. But many still enjoy it if they dont get soft locked and cant finish it.
2) Single Player Skirmish: This mode is great and you can really enjoy this just like the older games.
3) Multiplayer 1v1: This mode seems pretty good. Most 1v1 players have moved to Coh3.
4) Multiplayer 2v2 and up: Coh3 is not as dynamic and exciting as Coh2. This is due to many mechanics and sound changes. There are also only a few maps to play. So this mode gets boring very fast to a lot of players.
You should wait until Dec 5th when the next patch comes out. There are some things being addressed and it will bring Coh3 a little closer to feeling like a completed game. But the game was on sale in a few places this week so you will have to be the judge.
Thread: CoH 3: Hammer & Shield Expansion Pack24 Nov 2023, 22:07 PM
This is the most confusing thing about coh3 so far. They barely do anything for a year then push out a meh DLC??
And the DLC looks to possibly break Multiplayer???
And all the while for the last few months it actually looks like they have more than one person working on it. So the little stuff is finally getting attention.
The DLC makes it look like they are done with Coh3. They will not be working on it anymore. They made a half assed attempt to satisfy the the people who paid for the premium.
But the little fixes mean they are trying to fix up the mess they made. Which could indicate they are going to keep going. Or they are just trying to polish it up before they move on. If they are going to keep going, why is the DLC so meh?
Then you have to remember Coh2 took forever to git gud.
So you have two things pointing to Coh3 is dead and two things pointing to its still alive. Which is it???
I had hopes David Phan was the guy to get this game fixed up. And it is moving that way. So my guess is it will still limp along and slowly get better. Could be pure copium though.
Thread: 1.4 update - December 5th17 Nov 2023, 12:26 PM
17 Nov 2023, 01:20 AMaerafield
The game itself is now becoming what it should have been on launch, overall a very good and promising update, just the amount of new content is pretty 'meh' but that's to be expected with god knows how much manpower got eaten by Relic's efforts to fix the core of the game.
I was predicting that this DLC would be pretty large and contain some new single player items such as a new campaign. All I see is two new battle groups? RIP. If I paid for the premium version and all I got was two battlegroups and some skins, I would be very very upset.
Add this to the Twitch change from Relic to CompanyOfHeroes and all I see is red flags.
Meh DLC, name change, no large updates since release = Dead Game. They are not focused on this game. They must be working on something else. A new game or perhaps the real DLC for later release. Either way, it looks bad for the coming months. I dont see them fixing the detail stuff that is going to bring back the top players anytime soon™.
That said, it looks like they are finally doing what they should have done 4 years ago with the menu updates, replays, minimap, resource point sprites, etc. I like what I am seeing. It almost looks like a real game now.
I was just hoping this DLC was pretty big and that is why they were dragging their feet. Now I am not so sure. Very few maps for a whole year when we have seen the videos that Mono can push out a top grade map in a week??? Once again I am just left scratching my head.
Thread: Relic going nuts with historical realism 12 Nov 2023, 06:46 AM
When Coh3 came out, I was the first person to say the management messed up. And I still stand by that for a few reasons. But the deeper I look into Coh3, I see a game that reached too far. They tried to do too much.
So why didn't they reach their goals becomes the question.
1) ESG hiring instead of skill based hiring (Cobra)?
2) SEGA forced them to push it out unfinished?
3) Relic actually felt it was done enough?
4) Relic management felt the people could get the work done, but the people fell short?
We will never know. And at this point, it does not matter. Coh3 was a massive failure for us fans. Relic/Sega may have made some money. But us loyal 50k multiplayer people got shafted.
So the real question is will Relic just drop Coh3 after the December DLC? Many people think they will. I think they will try to fix it for at least another 6 months. With a dedicated staff it should not take that long. The question is what do they need to fix?
Thread: CoH Worldbuilders Map Making Competition 2024 12 Nov 2023, 02:04 AM
This looks really good GB! I am looking forward to seeing some of the fresh new people from the mapping Discord making some maps.
And I really hope some people that were mapping at the end of the COH2 days come back and have a good showing. There was a nice burst of energy, but it was too late for them to get maps into Coh2.
The timing for the contest could be really good also. Once the DLC is out of the way, Relic can maybe focus on gameplay, QoL, etc So by next summer it could be full tilt playable with new maps also.
Thank you to everyone involved in this contest!
Ladders Top 10