Login

russian armor

USF Calliope balancing

30 Jul 2020, 17:44 PM

Before we start, gotta say that im an OST main.

Out of all the rocket arty in the game, the Calliope seems to me to have the fewest drawbacks/cons compared to its peers, this being durability and flat trajectory/low reaction time for enemy being perhaps its biggest pros.

leaving the fact out that im a semi-noob. but they are hard/impossible to kill with offmap/call-ins, and counterbattery on lefh 105 is for the most time useless against them. And if you go with the USF commander with Rangers+zooks and calliope, and a (un)healty dose of jacksons, diving in to eleminate the Calliope's with inf or tanks can be a very costly/impossible affair.

so then i ask you boys, without pointing out the fact that im noob, how do you effectively kill these as OST? or are they in their current state just OP?
30 Jul 2020, 18:30 PM

How to counter Calliope?

Play as Brits or Soviets. Easy :) <444>3
30 Jul 2020, 19:44 PM

Calliope is OP. 480 HP on a mobile arty unit makes no sense.
30 Jul 2020, 19:47 PM

Its a TANK, not cardboard box on tracks, like pwerfer.
30 Jul 2020, 19:50 PM

That's why it's range is 200. Whereas Stuka zu Fuss has a 1000 max range and 160 HP. In other words to use Calliope you need to get it to the front line.
Stuka -> Low hp/armor, devestating precise long range strike

Calliop -> Low range AOE rocket arty that may or may not kill. Also it's in salvoes so you have time to react whereas Stuka drops them in a sec or two making you pray that it misses.
30 Jul 2020, 21:17 PM

It was changed to 400 when its rockets were buffed, so that it will now at least get oneshot by a Stuka Dive Bomb.

That's why its range is 200. Whereas Stuka zu Fuss has a 1000 max range and 160 HP.

The Stuka's range is 120, the Calliope's is 130. You're looking at the weapon range which is essentially meaningless, instead of the cast range for the artillery ability.
30 Jul 2020, 21:22 PM

Perhaps make it doctrinal and put it in just two doctrines?

Honestly I find the calliope to be utterly 'meh'

I'd be fine with making it 90ish fuel and a OHK like all the others.

30 Jul 2020, 22:18 PM

The Stuka's range is 120, the Calliope's is 130. You're looking at the weapon range which is essentially meaningless, instead of the cast range for the artillery ability.

Isn't weapon range tied to cast range? What's the point of the existance of that attribute then? I didn't know weapon range means s***
30 Jul 2020, 22:20 PM

Isn't weapon range tied to cast range? What's the point of the existance of that attribute then? I didn't know weapon range means s***

I think it's just in the instance of arty as it lacks auto fire the weapon range is arbitrary but the ability range (meaning the barrage) is what matters.
30 Jul 2020, 22:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2020, 19:47 PMKatitof
Its a TANK, not cardboard box on tracks, like pwerfer.

It was a nostalgia fueled mistake to add the Calliope to the game, and break all the rules for rocket artillery that have been established by the Eastern factions. Most rocket artillery was mounted on unarmored or lightly armored trucks, and they would have fit perfectly within the standards set by the Eastern factions.

But Relic had to rely on vCoh nostalgia for inspiration, and now we have to try and balance a tank with two dozen rocket launchers on top.
31 Jul 2020, 00:34 AM

It was changed to 400 when its rockets were buffed, so that it will now at least get oneshot by a Stuka Dive Bomb.

Alright thanks. Now the question I have to ask is what is OKW without stuka dive bomb supposed to do? It’s still three tank round shots unless Elite Armor’s used.
31 Jul 2020, 01:21 AM

Alright thanks. Now the question I have to ask is what is OKW without stuka dive bomb supposed to do? It’s still three tank round shots unless Elite Armor’s used.

Shoot it 3 times.
31 Jul 2020, 03:33 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Shoot it 3 times.

with what? Last I checked the calliope outranges any AT gun that has the off chance of surviving a shotgun barrage to them.
31 Jul 2020, 03:40 AM

with what? Last I checked the calliope outranges any AT gun that has the off chance of surviving a shotgun barrage to them.

Dive with three tanks clearly, because that's a reasonable risk to kill 1 rocket arty.

Although it takes the same amount of effort to kill ML20s and LefHs that can literally just be put 1 foot out of the base sector.
31 Jul 2020, 03:41 AM

Dive with three tanks clearly, because that's a reasonable risk to kill 1 rocket arty.

Dont forget to not bring mediums since they can bounce :snfPeter:

Although it takes the same amount of effort to kill ML20s and LefHs that can literally just be put 1 foot out of the base sector.

If you dont just recon+arty it.

Also considering time of pay-off and overall impact, any rocket arty is much more cost effective and pays off much faster.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 50
unknown 26
Germany 13
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %