Login

russian armor

Katy 's "Creeping Barrage" ability

29 May 2020, 00:03 AM

Someone, please, give me a reason to use it. Last time I have seen somebody else used it was back to early 2019.
29 May 2020, 00:30 AM

Frankly, the katy creeping barrage has no real merit to show aside from taking up the vet1 slot.

It:
  • Costs muni to use
  • Is so inaccurate it's unlikely to hit anything, coupled with the relatively low AoE (to the stuka creeping barrage), is unlikely to kill anything
  • Has regular damage and pen per rocket, so it's ineffective against anything not infantry
  • Lacks fire density that would mitigate the 2 above problems
  • Is impractical to use, even against static targets, including large structures due to all above reasons- At that point, it's easier and simpler to use a regular barrage

What I would propose is something as simple as removing its muni cost and making the barrage area smaller, or by keeping its cost and increasing the number of rockets fired.
29 May 2020, 01:03 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Frankly, the katy creeping barrage has no real merit to show aside from taking up the vet1 slot.

What I would propose is something as simple as removing its muni cost and making the barrage area smaller, or by keeping its cost and increasing the number of rockets fired.

Another alternative would be to increase the number of rockets fired in each salvo. The Katy would be much more effective if it fired 2 salvos of six instead of 3 salvos of four. That's one reason why the panzerwerfer is so much more effective in some situations, because its rockets are all fired at once/in rapid succession.
29 May 2020, 01:05 AM
Senior Editor Badge

(sorry for double post) This is also why conventional artillery is so much less valuable than rocket artillery, because the conventional artillery is more for area denial. The Katy is a bit better at area denial because of the delay between and the amount of salvos, whereas the panzerwerfer's rockets saturate an area for a much less lengthy period of time
29 May 2020, 01:18 AM

I miss the precision barrage. It wasn't really any stronger than a medium-close Panzerwerfer strike, yet was still they removed it. A huge shame, considering the Panzerwerfer can do the same thing as it's default strike, if you are willing to get a bit close.

The least they can do is replace it with a rapid barrage, fire the entire volley with no pauses (although personally I feel like this should be the default fire mode).
29 May 2020, 01:44 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I miss the precision barrage. It wasn't really any stronger than a medium-close Panzerwerfer strike, yet was still they removed it. A huge shame, considering the Panzerwerfer can do the same thing as it's default strike, if you are willing to get a bit close.

The least they can do is replace it with a rapid barrage, fire the entire volley with no pauses (although personally I feel like this should be the default fire mode).

You said it. Risk. Max range precision barrage means you would delete anything it was aimed at, risk free.
29 May 2020, 02:15 AM

Oh, I know something interesting.

A rapid barrage that costs nothing and fires an 8-rocket salvo, panzerwerfer style.

Would give the katyusha flexibility either firing for effect or firing to opportunistically kill stuff, though it would make shotgunning even more deadlier- Shotgunning with pwerfers are offset by the rocket flight time while katy has a flatter trajectory.

Perhaps by increasing the minimum range?
29 May 2020, 03:09 AM

Oh, I know something interesting.

A rapid barrage that costs nothing and fires an 8-rocket salvo, panzerwerfer style.

Would give the katyusha flexibility either firing for effect or firing to opportunistically kill stuff, though it would make shotgunning even more deadlier- Shotgunning with pwerfers are offset by the rocket flight time while katy has a flatter trajectory.

Perhaps by increasing the minimum range?

I think the same as you, but also slap this ability about 40 muni, then allow the phosphorus smoke effect on impact (slow infantry and reduce their health).
Could help sov players when they need to retreat tank against AT handheld blobs.
29 May 2020, 04:39 AM

The creeping barrage is definitely a little underwhelming. If it could hit at a faster frequency or at least allowing you to choose how close or apart the barrage is, it might have some purpose in game. I am iffy about just giving it some sorta more powerful version of a barrage. So if there's a way to give it some utility would be neat.
29 May 2020, 05:51 AM

Against a blobber it can have some use. They usually retreat after the first salvo so you might get another rocket hit if you make the barrage creep on their retreat path. It's 100% based on scatter luck though since the creeping barrage seems to have a lot of scatter.
29 May 2020, 07:07 AM

what I really miss is b4's precision shot. coupled with vet 3 damage increase, taking out heavies was never more exhilarating!
29 May 2020, 07:13 AM

• Is so inaccurate it's unlikely to hit anything, coupled with the relatively low AoE (to the stuka creeping barrage), is unlikely to kill anything

As far as I remember it has less angular/linear scatter so the first shot should land near that start of the ability and progressively move in a line. So it more accurate the normal barrage.
29 May 2020, 07:20 AM

The ability probably would be more useful if it was free.
I mean, its not sexton creeping barrage that can be used like makeshift precision strike, its same barrage, but over much larger area, I don't see a reason to ever use it as it doesn't have any unique function or utility.
29 May 2020, 07:27 AM

crying about katjuschas performanche is indeed a funny thing these days...its hands down the best rocket arty ingame. nondoc...shotgun modus delete any squad with no react time and have more range than axis rocket arty to be shure you dont need to drive to front like axis must do
29 May 2020, 07:38 AM

crying about katjuschas performanche is indeed a funny thing these days...its hands down the best rocket arty ingame. nondoc...shotgun modus delete any squad with no react time and have more range than axis rocket arty to be shure you dont need to drive to front like axis must do

so what? its vet 1 ability is still complete garbage, what's the point of bloating the game with abilities as useless as this one?
29 May 2020, 07:41 AM

I suppose we should give panzergrens medkit instead of combined arms vet1 too, their performance is great without it, they don't need useful vet1 anyway.

See how fucking stupid what you've said is?
29 May 2020, 07:43 AM

For the katty to be as leathal as you say it also needs to be pretty close to the front. It fires in a salvo over time and fires multyple smaller ones. And it hits a single target this way. Katty gets wrecked by small arms. Unlike axis wich can wipe or force off more then one inf squads or team weapons. Can shoot back with mg,s and dont get penned by small arms ass much or at all. Both stuka and werfer finish their barrages quicker and move to the back of the fight quicker.

All this crying about how axis are worse off everywhere and always and every time needs to stop.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★