Login

russian armor

Skill planes

25 Apr 2020, 16:31 PM

My view on skillplanes for CoH3 would be to make them loiter around first during the map on approach and then let the player have X number of times to allow them to manually strafe something.

Even if they flew over first something akin to a recon flight then did a strafe by themself so there was a chance to shoot them down before they struk
25 Apr 2020, 16:37 PM

Anyone else still laughing over the name of this thread lol?

"Skill planes"!

EDIT: Reminds me of other notorious examples such as "Skill Tactician, Skill Howie, SkillKW, Skillblob, ISGs win the game again!" etc.
25 Apr 2020, 20:47 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Anyone else still laughing over the name of this thread lol?

"Skill planes"!

EDIT: Reminds me of other notorious examples such as "Skill Tactician, Skill Howie, SkillKW, Skillblob, ISGs win the game again!" etc.

CalliOP
OPKW
O Party Cover
IWIN button TA
Flamer/schreck blob of doom
OstWIN
Precision win
25 Apr 2020, 20:56 PM

CalliOP
OPKW
O Party Cover
IWIN button TA
Flamer/schreck blob of doom
OstWIN
Precision win

Partysans (I personally preffered spartisans)
Kubledragon
25 Apr 2020, 20:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Kubeljesus suppression died for all OKW players sins.

Ontopic: there's not much you can do with skill planes (outside of adjusting certain outliers like 100 muni IL2 rocket strafe).
26 Apr 2020, 05:21 AM

Wot the UKF skillplanes are just as good and you get machineguns that go after infantry with them too. I wish the p47s were anywhere near as good as stuka CAS or UKF hawker rocket typhoons.
26 Apr 2020, 08:06 AM

Wot the UKF skillplanes are just as good and you get machineguns that go after infantry with them too. I wish the p47s were anywhere near as good as stuka CAS or UKF hawker rocket typhoons.

The UKF skill planes are no way near as OP as the AT strafe that axis has, and as I said, this isnt a but x has y so its fair thread, its all BS.
26 Apr 2020, 09:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2020, 04:23 AMblancat
Prepare AA

No problem

Well, the Skill Plane from the ISU152 doctrine can't be countered by AA. Got a Ostwind lately and it was always possible to hit it's location.
26 Apr 2020, 09:06 AM

Well, the Skill Plane from the ISU152 doctrine can't be countered by AA. Got a Ostwind lately and it was always possible to hit it's location.

AA is for loiters, not strafes.
Strafes will always deliver payload, then they can be shot down.
26 Apr 2020, 09:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2020, 09:06 AMKatitof

AA is for loiters, not strafes.
Strafes will always deliver payload, then they can be shot down.

I did not know that. Thanks for clarification. :wave:
26 Apr 2020, 09:16 AM

I did not know that. Thanks for clarification. :wave:

Both loiter and single pass planes can be shot down before delivering their payload. In the case of single pass planes it is allot harder to shoot them down before bombing.

Main issues with planes is not the planes themselves but that great gap between the AA performance of units since most weapon have been tune for their ground target performance and not for their AA.

This is one of the reason I have suggested different firing modes.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/104862/m15a1-aaht

Adding HP to planes instead of the current critical kill system could further improve them system especially if loiter and single pass planes had different HP values.

Further improvement could include a suppress" systems so that planes under AA fire could have reduced performance.
26 Apr 2020, 14:20 PM

Well, generally i do not have a problem with skill planes. But there a certain commanders that are a little bit too good and have too many counters against their own hardcounters.

Example are the soviet commanders that, when picking ISU152, also got their bombing strike that neutralizes completely the hardcounter (like PAK43). And that is my main issue with the skill planes.

Smoke and ISU152 alone is enough to counter PAK43.

Some commander reworks with a certain emphasis on maybe Infantry, tank heavy or something would be a good step into the right direction.
26 Apr 2020, 14:21 PM

Well, generally i do not have a problem with skill planes. But there a certain commanders that are a little bit too good and have too many counters against their own hardcounters.

Example are the soviet commanders that, when picking ISU152, also got their bombing strike that neutralizes completely the hardcounter (like PAK43). And that is my main issue with the skill planes.

Smoke and ISU152 alone is enough to counter PAK43.

Some commander reworks with a certain emphasis on maybe Infantry, tank heavy or something would be a good step into the right direction.

TBH, all you need is a regular mortar or stock ary of range above 80 to hardcounter PAK43, no need to slam 200 muni on it.
26 Apr 2020, 14:23 PM

Well, with arty or mortar it is often just decrewed. With the skill plane you just throw the 350/50 down the drain.

I think the issue is not the skill planes, but the commander composition.
26 Apr 2020, 15:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2020, 23:12 PMLatch
It can do I agree but when you try to get a fausted tank outside of the area where an AT strafe is coming in and it simply kills the tank, I dont think anything is being clouded here.

What's cloudy is your objectivity because you only really remember the times when the ability has been used against you effectively, while not or barely remembering the times it did nothing. Being only on the receiving end of something leads to subjectivity and confirmation bias. It's simple human psychology. If you'd use the strafe yourself you would notice that for the number of times where it (helps) kill(s) tanks effectively, it also at least an equal of times barely deals any damage because tanks get away fast enough or the planes hit houses and trees or the planes get shot down.

You even say yourself that the ability's effectiveness is higher against tanks that have been snared. If you're playing against good players, the fact that the strafe comes in after a tank gets snared (or that a tank gets snared while the strafe is active) is generally speaking not a coincidence. Good players will utilize combined arms and other force multiplying factors to maximize the effectiveness of their units and abilities. That'd be a sign of good play and integral game design, not one of an ability being overpowered.
26 Apr 2020, 19:38 PM

Well, with arty or mortar it is often just decrewed. With the skill plane you just throw the 350/50 down the drain.

I think the issue is not the skill planes, but the commander composition.

But isn't that kinda the exact purpose of the bombing run? Or do you save yours for bunkers? Recon and off map strikes should be exclusive with one another but using a bombing run on an emplaced position is as fair game as fair game gets...
27 Apr 2020, 05:29 AM

What's cloudy is your objectivity because you only really remember the times when the ability has been used against you effectively, while not or barely remembering the times it did nothing. Being only on the receiving end of something leads to subjectivity and confirmation bias. It's simple human psychology. If you'd use the strafe yourself you would notice that for the number of times where it (helps) kill(s) tanks effectively, it also at least an equal of times barely deals any damage because tanks get away fast enough or the planes hit houses and trees or the planes get shot down.

You even say yourself that the ability's effectiveness is higher against tanks that have been snared. If you're playing against good players, the fact that the strafe comes in after a tank gets snared (or that a tank gets snared while the strafe is active) is generally speaking not a coincidence. Good players will utilize combined arms and other force multiplying factors to maximize the effectiveness of their units and abilities. That'd be a sign of good play and integral game design, not one of an ability being overpowered.

I also placed the CAS directly behind his retreat path and flanked/rear approached it with spotting infantry squads.
27 Apr 2020, 05:43 AM

For UKF, I'd make the AEC and bofors mo long exclusive and fix the bofors rotation speed so it could shoot down planes. Give it a pretty big radius to do this. Nerg the snot out of it's AI and cut cost.

Ukf lacks affordable AA, so when skillplanes are called in, it feels like it has no real solution. Lendlease fixes this like so many things...
27 Apr 2020, 06:21 AM

But isn't that kinda the exact purpose of the bombing run? Or do you save yours for bunkers? Recon and off map strikes should be exclusive with one another but using a bombing run on an emplaced position is as fair game as fair game gets...

The thing is, it does not drecew it but directly destroy it. As I said before, i do not have a problem with the skill plane itself, but rather with the commanders and their abilities.

Best example is ISU152 commander. The ISU is a big threat against Inf and tanks, than they got Shocktroopers iirc and than, the hardcounter for the ISU152, is directly out of game because of the bombing strike ability.
That is my point and my main issue. If you have a good infantry commander with a bombing strike to clear out obstacles for example, I am absolutely for that. But having a jack of all trades commander is bullshit for me.
Elefant, Fallschirmjäger and StuKa....well I would also like to have that in one commander... :P
27 Apr 2020, 17:58 PM

My view on skillplanes for CoH3 would be to make them loiter around first during the map on approach and then let the player have X number of times to allow them to manually strafe something.

This is a wonderful idea and I really hope they do something like this in the next game. That or straight up make planes a buildable unit
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★