Login

russian armor

The IS-2: What do we do with it?

14 Mar 2019, 12:27 PM

Brummbar/KV-2 AI AoE profile treatment.
Same for KT.

There, fixed both tanks, able to dish pain vs all targets, but not wipe-y like Tiger 1. However that might leave KV-2 behind again...
14 Mar 2019, 13:18 PM

Like many have said, brummbar AoE profile and better scatter, then change its vet 2 to something more related to its role, better scatter or reload, it should not be able to outrange its counters.

Besides this would leave a role for the KV2, a heavy anti infatry tank that deals better in maps with shot and sight blockers, the IS2 would be the generalist brawler and the ISU a long range assault gun with better AT, like this the choice between them would relate to the map and the situation your army is in.
14 Mar 2019, 15:04 PM

IS2 should be tuned keeping in mind the ISU152, as both units kinda overlap with eachother

Both are late game armored vehicles, low fire rate veterancy erasers. Despite their good damage, their rate of fire keeps their AT performance down. Their value on tank fights is the long range and penetration of the ISU 152 (mostly to finish off runers) and the tankiness of the IS2 (covering a bit hole in the faction)

IS2 role ingame its ,for the most part, a VP guardian, so its one of the few vehicles that should keep the capture ability at vet1. ISU can also punish infantry trying to capture a point.

So, if we are to tune up the IS2, maybe differentiate it a bit more from the ISU by making the IS2 better against armor?

14 Mar 2019, 15:32 PM

I remember few years back allot of people mentioned IS-2s accuracy is terrible while on the move and addition to reload time. The best way to utilize the IS-2 is to stop and shoot.

I think we can update the verterancy ability with a skill shot just like the Pershing tank, maybe high explosive shell?
14 Mar 2019, 17:26 PM

Another possible vet ability could be a timed ability cost munition that would increase the XP gained for taking or deflecting shots while reducing the XP enemy get.

That would solidify the tank a breakthrough tank
14 Mar 2019, 17:35 PM

Currently its armor is too high and its supposed counters are inconsistent at best.

Reduce the armor considerably, and in exchange give it 1) a better vet 1 ability and 2) better AOE/accuracy profile so it can have reliable potency.
14 Mar 2019, 17:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2019, 12:27 PMKatitof
However that might leave KV-2 behind again...

Tbh I still can't make good use of the KV2 at the moment.
14 Mar 2019, 17:56 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2019, 07:55 AMGiaA
Genuine question: is this thread about the IS2 being too bad or too good?

I'd say it's balanced, but inconsistant. Personally, and some agree with me, lowering the armor value to tiger level (300) and then making the gun consistant instead of an RNG cannon would allow the tank to reliably gain vet and dish damage, while also fixing the StuG/JP4 problem of having relatively low pen.
14 Mar 2019, 18:02 PM

I've tried using the IS-2 a lot lately and it is just mediocre. Doesn't do enough damage, its penetration feels low, its rate of fire is low, it has huge scatter still and has a hard time hitting infantry.

On the bright side its pintle mounted MG is fine and is great in terms of AA, and its armor is still decent. But it's never a game changer when it arrives, it loses to a panthers due to its range and lack of damage output.

I'm not sure what way to balance it without making it unbalanced, but a slight buff to its damage and slight reduction to scatter would be nice.
14 Mar 2019, 18:13 PM

I've tried using the IS-2 a lot lately and it is just mediocre. Doesn't do enough damage, its penetration feels low, its rate of fire is low, it has huge scatter still and has a hard time hitting infantry.

On the bright side its pintle mounted MG is fine and is great in terms of AA, and its armor is still decent. But it's never a game changer when it arrives, it loses to a panthers due to its range and lack of damage output.

I'm not sure what way to balance it without making it unbalanced, but a slight buff to its damage and slight reduction to scatter would be nice.

I have already spoken about this for a long time - only AA DShK is good in this tank. Yes, the veteranships are not bad, but without damage in these veteranships there is no sense, or the IS-2 will be destroyed or the game will end sooner than you will get the 2nd level of veteranship. And level 1 is absolutely pointlessly.
14 Mar 2019, 18:45 PM

I like the IS2, 95% of the times it does its job. Of curse I would like more accuracy (at least against vehicles) but maybe it would be to good then. Vet1 should get changed.
14 Mar 2019, 19:01 PM

Permanently Banned
If the IS2 is getting better anti inf, its armor needs to be reduced.
14 Mar 2019, 19:34 PM
Donator 11

I'd say it's balanced, but inconsistant. Personally, and some agree with me, lowering the armor value to tiger level (300) and then making the gun consistant instead of an RNG cannon would allow the tank to reliably gain vet and dish damage, while also fixing the StuG/JP4 problem of having relatively low pen.

That would make it a tiger I with different skin though. I honestly prefer to go for IS-2 when I want IS-2 and for tiger when I want a tiger.
14 Mar 2019, 19:52 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

That would make it a tiger I with different skin though. I honestly prefer to go for IS-2 when I want IS-2 and for tiger when I want a tiger.

Aside from the mounted MG, vet 1 ability, and slightly lower mobility, then yes it would be.
14 Mar 2019, 21:28 PM

Double damage, half reload speed, double Acc. Slower moving speed maybe?
Vet 1 can be [Turret shot]: Destroys enemy main gun (if turreted, if not stuns) by aiming precisely at the turret. Takes extra time to aim.
14 Mar 2019, 22:08 PM

We need clearly understand what role we want to see from IS-2. It must be TD, infantry killer with huge armor or good-for-everything tank? Because right now IS-2 only good as big damage sponge and nothing else. In duels, it loses vs panthers and other heavy german tanks, because every german tank have blitz or better stats (KT). Damage and low ROF make total DPS of IS-2 too low. But from other side as was said before, no one want to see Tiger in IS-2 skin. In my opinion:
1. Make HE and AP shells as for 76-mm shermans with same mechanic. AP shells have greater damage and penetration, but lower reload speed. But overall DPS should be in comparable level with other hevy tanks. HE profile should be work like for brummbar.
2. Add "churchill type" smoke. All T-34-85's and late IS-2 (ingame variant) have smoke chargers on rear.
3. Make it KT build style. You can call in it only when you got T-4. If you want good tank you must good pay for it and farewell tactics with T-2 and IS2.
14 Mar 2019, 22:13 PM

Double damage, half reload speed, double Acc. Slower moving speed maybe?
Vet 1 can be [Turret shot]: Destroys enemy main gun (if turreted, if not stuns) by aiming precisely at the turret. Takes extra time to aim.

While cool, that would be wicked OP...
14 Mar 2019, 23:56 PM

Increase damage, reduce firerate. Its a 128mm gun, why would do the same damage as a T34/76
15 Mar 2019, 00:58 AM

Regarding ai performance, buff the coaxial machine gun dps against infantry. Combined with the extremely potent pintle upgrade it gets that should give it the consistant damage vs infantry everyone wants without having to fiddle with the main gun aoe.

If you want to tweak the main gun damage I'd say at most increase it to 200 and reload to 7.5 seconds.
In all honesty though I prefer the consistant high penetration low damage shots it has now to the high risk vs reward shots it used to have.
15 Mar 2019, 01:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2019, 23:56 PMBizrock
Increase damage, reduce firerate. Its a 128mm gun, why would do the same damage as a T34/76

IIRC it was changed to 240(?) damage and slower reload once, and it was apparently horrible to play with.

(Nitpicking: the IS-2 uses a 122mm gun. Soviets are weird)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★