Login

russian armor

OKW Sector Assault needs to be fixed ASAP

20 Dec 2018, 18:10 PM
Donator 11

More I think about it, the more I dislike all loiters. The fact that it's hard to read what's happening, that the UI isn't always accurate (circle disappears, etc.) and that it effectively frees up the single most important player skill resource (attention/cognitive-load/micro) just puts it at odds with every other aspect of the game.

Obviously too big of a change to go through, but I guess the issue with it is also true of the il-2 loiter, the AT CAS, etc.

For what it's worth I do think there was more than just a scatter change, I had used the ability before the patch a few times but they were a while back and so my memory may be failing me.

I do think having the bombing run not be a loiter like target+chase would be a nice chance, just make the bombs land on the area you use the skill on, where-as the suppression strafe can still do its thing as it is now.

A combination from two other abilities, why not...

20 Dec 2018, 19:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Oh, the scatter change was massive. It was reduced from 80 to 12 (thought it was 20...). Thats basically a change from "nowhere is safe because this ability can hit anywhere" to "this ability probably wont hit units its not targeting (unless theyre really close)."

Well... that explains why it didn't seem like it "tracked" an enemy before. LOL. With that value, it might as well be random.
20 Dec 2018, 19:42 PM

This ability was tracking and hitting my own units, what the heck is up with that. BTW i did not place my units where the enemy was
20 Dec 2018, 21:20 PM

I saw something like that, in my previous posts where I mentioned fuel caches can be targeted -- some of the bombs killed units from the guy who used it on me. Not sure if any wipes, but was kinda LOL. It's so OP that the power cannot be contained even by those who wish to use it.
21 Dec 2018, 02:01 AM

I mean it got nerfed hard for a reason, being that it would shit on units on retreat.

This is literally the same thing except its big bombs that wipe more than just infantry.

Then move out the circle/break line of sight.
21 Dec 2018, 12:48 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2018, 09:30 AMKatitof

All of the balance team and relic also said "please download the mod, try these out and give your feedback".

I can say from my opinion, i play beta brits and patches modes and i msut say that thay all care about opinion, dosnt matter good or bad you write. And all after this feeback we get 0 answers from balance team. So if i play coh2 now, i dont do that, coz thay care and show relation to players. And its not players foult, if somebody smart "top player" with playercard dosnt see that some units and abilitys are broken. I dont get money from coh2, let bind it players who make money from it. Its will be fair, coz balance make for our cyber sportsman.
Dont ned be like Jae hang own incompetence in part of community that dont must do that and write only opinion.
What was the problem make group and thread and write, Hello Hooli, you play with this doc, Hello Jae you play with this doc, Hello Luvnest you play with this doc, and 10 or more times to test it? Dont need have hight IQ or end Priston to make it, but like we see its hard, coz better blame now community (whanna see how same guys will be write it to top player that will be bithing same, but like we know, thay have balls write it to simple users). Coz time to attack users like sharks together thay have, but test something nope. Their closure has brought more harm or benefit.
This even show more incompetence of some balance stuff that dont know how ability work right.
21 Dec 2018, 13:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2018, 02:01 AMNaOCl

Then move out the circle/break line of sight.

Once the plane is in tracking phase it will hit no matter what, even if you are out of vision/ out of the circle. Unfortunately there isn’t anything that can be done about it as all stafes work like that.
21 Dec 2018, 17:00 PM

The scatter, if nerfed, will at least mean you won't get TKO'd as you retreat to base. Or make the bombing run slower so AA has a real chance to shoot it down.

Though I still favor my idea to turn the bombs into an area-targeted ability and not a squad-targeting one.
21 Dec 2018, 17:07 PM
Senior Editor Badge

The ability itself being too wipey (due to reduced scatter) is a different story though. That probably is due to a lack of ample play testing; it takes a large sample size. Just look at this video that tightrope did in which he tested the ability:

https://youtu.be/oJW82VcEcsU?t=31m40s

Yeah, the example in the OP was rather extreme, I guess the results that tightrope got where actually what was intended.

Problem with this really is you need a lot of playtesting for the ability to realize that it can become excessively destructive. The things that have to happen at the same time:

1. The planes need to lock on to an infantry target.
2. The infantry target needs to retreat at the correct time.
3. The bombing run has to reach the target after it made it to base.
4. The base must be packed with units (note, there were also other units retreating into the bombs and the damaged Sexton)
5. The bombs have to hit said targets which alone is pretty RNG.

All of these circumstances have to be met to make the ability that destructive. Problem with beta tests is that people might have tried out the ability (probably being pretty critical of it to begin with), don't get "lucky" according to the list above and decide it is "meh" and not to use it again. So, yeah, these things are tricky to catch in the testing phase with a limited number of players.

The thing with loiters is that they are supposed to work as areal denial tools, so changing them to single passes wouldn't really have the intended effect.

Not sure if that would work, but is it possible to "untrack" an infantry unit when it retreats? Or make it impossible to track infantry units in the first place (only installations, vehicles and team weapons)?
21 Dec 2018, 20:16 PM

Hi guys,
i just tested the new sector assault, its a lot weaker now so allied players can sleep quiet;)
(Number of bombs could be a little bit higher imo:).
But considering that the ability comes relatively early it seems to me that that the changes are reasonable. Thumps up mod team!

22 Dec 2018, 03:08 AM

Once the plane is in tracking phase it will hit no matter what, even if you are out of vision/ out of the circle. Unfortunately there isn’t anything that can be done about it as all stafes work like that.

The bombing run doesnt start for 20 seconds, you have that long to break sight/ evacuate the area.
22 Dec 2018, 04:59 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Invised a post for being offtopic
24 Dec 2018, 20:11 PM

Had a game last night where my AA HT shot down the recon plane but bombs landed (outside of circle) anyway. Guess the half second window was enough to acquire target. My TDs only survived because I kept backing them up (still got gibbed for most their HP tho).

Dunno, seems like the real issue is that you have no way of being safe because the plane that drops the bombs just can't be shot out, and even if you shoot the recon plane, it may have still already gotten the target.
24 Dec 2018, 21:04 PM

They shouldn't have put this ability back in Overwatch at all. The balance team was on the right track when they started removing things to make way for new stuff.

Then they reversed path entirely and put everything they'd taken out back on top of the new stuff.

They should have stuck to their guns and held these abilities back for the new commanders. This game does NOT need more 'do everything' doctrines: Overwatch should be split across two commanders.
24 Dec 2018, 21:10 PM

Had a game last night where my AA HT shot down the recon plane but bombs landed (outside of circle) anyway. Guess the half second window was enough to acquire target. My TDs only survived because I kept backing them up (still got gibbed for most their HP tho).

Dunno, seems like the real issue is that you have no way of being safe because the plane that drops the bombs just can't be shot out, and even if you shoot the recon plane, it may have still already gotten the target.

Area targeting shit has always been like that I think, it just instantaneously acquires a target and even if it loses LoS it will still complete one pass.

Shooting the recon plane down prevents the next one though.
24 Dec 2018, 22:01 PM

Guess so, but it did basically mean for 1-2 minutes you can't do anything for risk of getting wiped, tank or infantry, and in a game with a sub-20 VP difference in losing, it was... frustrating.
24 Dec 2018, 22:06 PM

Guess so, but it did basically mean for 1-2 minutes you can't do anything for risk of getting wiped, tank or infantry, and in a game with a sub-20 VP difference in losing, it was... frustrating.

Doesn't sound very different to IL-2 skillplanes denying all infantry play around an area for about the same duration.
24 Dec 2018, 22:19 PM

Well, the problem is Stuka Sector Assault is the most lethal loither ability, it can wreck all kind of land units.
24 Dec 2018, 22:57 PM

The ability is probably OP and it can be countered by Quad.

Loiter planes and AA need a re-balance/redesign.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★