Login

russian armor

OKW Sector Assault needs to be fixed ASAP

25 Dec 2018, 04:55 AM

Doesn't sound very different to IL-2 skillplanes denying all infantry play around an area for about the same duration.

Nah, Stuka CAS is apt to that. Both of those can be countered by shooting them out of the sky.

Problem with Sector Assault is the bombing plane is VERY difficult to counter, to the point that it's not consistent, and if you do shoot the recon plane out, it's still likely you will get bombed.

The suppression the sector assault gives is fine, I don't have an issue with that. The problem is the bombing plane specifically and how it can annihilate armor, infantry, and countering it isn't about reacting correctly but about frenetically moving your units, even if you have them retreating to base, so as not to get gibbed.
28 Dec 2018, 15:16 PM

Sector Assault at the moment is fine but there is thing that needs to be fixed. I had a game and i
was OKW thw ability timer was like 10 sec. over, the minimap ui was gone but the bombing plane still circles and attack the enemy.
That is stupid af and needs to be fixed.

It happens at the 29 min. mark.

17 Jan 2019, 19:40 PM

How does the bombing work?

I didn't have any stuka loitering (thanks to my quad) but bombs just droped over my units anyways

(BTW i'm necroing this post because it has a discussion about the sector assault mechanics)
17 Jan 2019, 20:04 PM

Stuka bombed me after it died.
17 Jan 2019, 20:17 PM

How does the bombing work?

I didn't have any stuka loitering (thanks to my quad) but bombs just droped over my units anyways

(BTW i'm necroing this post because it has a discussion about the sector assault mechanics)

1) Planes recon area and acquire targets
2) Suppression strafing run of infantry, instantly suppresses
3) bomber planes appear

Shooting down the first plane doesn't mean your safe, nor does leaving the area _after_ you've been targeted. Also, the actual range in game is bigger than what the mini-map icon shows.
17 Jan 2019, 20:29 PM

So, just to clarify.

Bombs are not tied to a stuka entity (and thus just drop for orbit)?
17 Jan 2019, 20:40 PM

I don’t know if people have mentioned this but the ability is ridiculously massive too. I’ve said this a lot in various places but the minimal circle is much smaller than the actual ability circle (which you can see in-game on the ground) and the actual ability is large enough that you can deny from around the middle VP on langreskaya all the way to the northern base sector (which the bomber will also target inside of). Easily the largest offmap in the entire game at the moment for some reason.
17 Jan 2019, 21:02 PM

The randomness of it also doesn't help, you never know when you might be missing a vet3 squad from it, haha.
17 Jan 2019, 21:33 PM

So, just to clarify.

I'm not sure, the bombing plane is pretty fast and unless you have a good AA (basically, a quad) in front of its target location, you probably won't be able to shoot it down.

17 Jan 2019, 21:48 PM

So, just to clarify.

The Stuka only targets infantry with machine guns (suppression and a bit of damage). What follows is a heavy bomber that delivers the bombs. You can see it on the minimap as a seperate plane with a heavy bomber icon.

However the heavy bomber doesn't have a model so you can't physically see it. It can be shot down by AA and it will disappear from the minimap and it won't drop any more bombs. It will usually be able to drop the bombs on its first run before AA can shoot it down.
18 Jan 2019, 08:35 AM

I don’t know if people have mentioned this but the ability is ridiculously massive too. I’ve said this a lot in various places but the minimal circle is much smaller than the actual ability circle (which you can see in-game on the ground) and the actual ability is large enough that you can deny from around the middle VP on langreskaya all the way to the northern base sector (which the bomber will also target inside of). Easily the largest offmap in the entire game at the moment for some reason.

Had a sherman targeted outside for the circle area shown on the map (not even the minimap) last week. The design of this ability is simply stupid at best since it super powerful and completely uncounterable.

Every similar abilities have been modified to avoid such problem but a couple of year later designers are still not learning from the own mistakes.
P47 and Stuka Loitering lost their recon ability for a reason but this one comes with a free reco run.
P47 and Stuka have seen their number of planes increased and number of strafing increase to avoid them delivering the full payload in one strike so the player can react and mitigate the damage but this one comes in one strike full payload able to take down every allied tank save the heaviest if they are full life.
In fact the only ability that can do the same damage is the IL-2 but the IL-2 doesn't track its target.

This and JLI is like taking down every single game design agreement and decision learn and taken over the game life just for the sake of doing something different.

This kind of ideas and implementation make me wonder what kind of other "innovating" stuff we will get with the new commanders patch.
18 Jan 2019, 09:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2019, 08:35 AMEsxile

... The design of this ability is simply stupid at best since it super powerful and completely uncounterable.

I can agree with the first part not with second. A quad can take out planes ridiculously fast.
18 Jan 2019, 09:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2019, 08:35 AMEsxile
The design of this ability is simply stupid at best since it super powerful and completely uncounterable.

Every similar abilities have been modified to avoid such problem but a couple of year later designers are still not learning from the own mistakes.
P47 and Stuka Loitering lost their recon ability for a reason but this one comes with a free reco run.
P47 and Stuka have seen their number of planes increased and number of strafing increase to avoid them delivering the full payload in one strike so the player can react and mitigate the damage but this one comes in one strike full payload able to take down every allied tank save the heaviest if they are full life.
In fact the only ability that can do the same damage is the IL-2 but the IL-2 doesn't track its target.

You should really do some research before ranting like this because most of your claims are blatantly false.

Sector Assault:
1. The Stuka that's part of Sector Assault is an AI strafe that damages and suppresses infantry. It does not recon and does not provide sight for the bomber.
2. The payload has been adjusted in the hotfix patch so it will consistantly not oneshot vehicles or wipe entire squads (especially when they are moving). It can happen with some very lucky RNG, but then again that can happen too with the Stuka CAS. On the first strike against stationary tanks (640HP) it will deal 'only' 20-80% damage based on RNG spread of the bombs. And it has to be the only target there.
3. The ability is entirely counterable because both planes can be shot down by AA.
18 Jan 2019, 13:09 PM

The Stuka only targets infantry with machine guns (suppression and a bit of damage). What follows is a heavy bomber that delivers the bombs. You can see it on the minimap as a seperate plane with a heavy bomber icon.

However the heavy bomber doesn't have a model so you can't physically see it. It can be shot down by AA and it will disappear from the minimap and it won't drop any more bombs. It will usually be able to drop the bombs on its first run before AA can shoot it down.

They refused to consider the Hetzer for the New Commander patch because of an anim bug, but they're completely cool with a loiter that has no model?

Relic has some strange double standards.

I still think the balance team should have stuck to their guns when they removed Sector Assault to make way for other less fundamentally flawed abilities.
18 Jan 2019, 17:16 PM

My view is that you have to be VERY lucky for your quad to kill the plane, and often have to be between the target and the spawn point of the bomber, as it only takes a few seconds for the bombs to fall.

The issue is that you have no clue where the bomber is going to target, hence the luck.

The quad is the absolute best AA in the game, hands down, but it isn't a 'cure' for the problem the way it can totally hardcounter a stuka CAS or the OKW Luftwaffe stuka loiter.

edit: My real conclusion from all of this is to do away with all one-click abilities unless they are specifically aimed (strafe, incendiary artillery, smoke shells).

Using some of these abilities on a VP is effectively a "ha ha you can't win" button in altogether too many games, especially team games, where the odds of your opponent (or even your own team) having one is 400% more likely.

18 Jan 2019, 17:19 PM

"edit: My real conclusion from all of this is to do away with all one-click abilities unless they are specifically aimed (strafe, incendiary artillery, smoke shells)."

Yes, i can go along with that.
18 Jan 2019, 17:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2019, 09:03 AMVipper

I can agree with the first part not with second. A quad can take out planes ridiculously fast.

My mate's quad took out all planes in the minimap and I still got bombed to shit.
It's not a real counter.
18 Jan 2019, 18:05 PM

I think Sector Assault would be bearable if they fixed the UI on it. The map indicator and the minimap indicator don't line up, so you can't judge the danger zone that well.
18 Jan 2019, 18:14 PM

i dont know. ive never noticed the bombing strike exceeding the actual lining. sure, ive seen the vid that started this whole converstation. but i tested it several time and it just doesnt work out that way. i mean, i used the sec assault probably a 100 times alteast
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 43
United Kingdom 2
Germany 31

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak