Login

russian armor

IS2- Is it worth buying?

5 Dec 2018, 13:37 PM

Also, it is rather historical accurate - HE-shells were produced with less propellent chardge to save space for explosives inside of shell itself, so they were slower.

This is not a universal rule. In fact, the IS-2's DT-25T HE and AP shells had the same muzzle velocity.
5 Dec 2018, 13:51 PM

I guess, he meant hit-scan "kv-2-like" model of shell calculation. More like 152mm ML-20/105mm LeFH - you can't see the shell itself, but can easily say that it is coming in by sound.
Also, it is rather historical accurate - HE-shells were produced with less propellent chardge to save space for explosives inside of shell itself, so they were slower.

Is-2 used a 2 part shell iirc so the propellent space in the payload, this lead to a powerful shell but a long reload time. The shell was extremely potent and selected with German cats in mind as well as fortifications.
5 Dec 2018, 13:52 PM

This is not a universal rule. In fact, the IS-2's DT-25T HE and AP shells had the same muzzle velocity.

Precisely, all three main rounds:
- Armor-piercing
- High-explosive-fragmentation
- Fragmentation chemical (smoke)
They had the same starting speed: 800 meters per second.
5 Dec 2018, 13:53 PM

IS2 is fine, stop it guys, I've never had one problem with it.
The gunner might be drunk but it does it's job just fine.

I would like to see people complain about T34/85 and how badly overpriced this unit is.
5 Dec 2018, 14:00 PM

I guess, he meant hit-scan "kv-2-like" model of shell calculation. More like 152mm ML-20/105mm LeFH - you can't see the shell itself, but can easily say that it is coming in by sound.

Historically IS-2 gun was similar to large caliber artillery shell the projectile and then propellant where separated and that is why it has a very low ROF and a very small amount of munitions.
5 Dec 2018, 19:38 PM

I can't get why people compare the KT and the IS just like that.

Why don't you ever consider the simple fact, that the IS fights German tanks, that are just too armored in this game.Why don't you ever remember, that armor of the German tanks begins with 180 points and goes up to 236? Why do people always forget, the IS always fights Panthers, Brumbars and Jagdpanzers, that have more than 640hp (Jagdpanzer at the second vet level has 800 hp). One of the most important stats is rate of fire, and the IS's rate of fire is a joke (IS's ROF: 6.6 secs., KT ROF: 6.3 secs., Tiger's ROF 5.3 secs., Panther's ROF: 5.7). Why noone mentions the IS's attack distance (IS: 40, Panther: 50, Tiger: 45, KT: 45)? Why do you always forget about those buffs German armor gets via doctrines? Why do people always omit the fact, that IS's first vet is a piece of shit? The IS is good only in comparison to other Allied tanks.
5 Dec 2018, 19:50 PM
Developer Relic Badge

IS-2 I believe really needs just a veterancy 1 change to that HE shell we tested a long time ago to give it something to help smash positions/stun/clear infantry.

I'm iffy on straight damage changes, even if it's 122mm as:

-People will complain misses hurt it too much as increase damage generally comes with higher reloads; misses then hurt the IS-2

-It's either a nuke cannon vs infantry or it's the same as now so now you're worse with said reload; scatter changes would likely need AOE adjustments

-You only change the shots to kill vs select targets unless you enter the 240 range.

At best, deflection damage, maybe so it's more reliable vs other heavy vehicles and to represent the 122.
6 Dec 2018, 05:39 AM

Can anybody please tell me, why Tiger 1 and IS-2 have 160 DMG? Isn't that ridiculous that heavy tanks have same damage as the mediums?

IMO, for the sake of game being joyful, I'd want my heavy tank to bring some kabadaboom when it hits enemy armor. But a massive 122mm shell, or a 88mm tiger shell still hits the same as some Pz4. It's frustrating.....
6 Dec 2018, 08:15 AM

It's got KT armor with much better mobility. Its definitely worth buying in my opinion, but maybe that's less true on certain maps.

Its definitely more worth it in 2v2s and up though as well. I feel it's riskier in 1v1 as an investment
6 Dec 2018, 13:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Can anybody please tell me, why Tiger 1 and IS-2 have 160 DMG? Isn't that ridiculous that heavy tanks have same damage as the mediums?

IMO, for the sake of game being joyful, I'd want my heavy tank to bring some kabadaboom when it hits enemy armor. But a massive 122mm shell, or a 88mm tiger shell still hits the same as some Pz4. It's frustrating.....

1- IS2 had 240dmg. It was one of the worsts version of the unit.

2- If you increase the damage but you nerf the RoF you are actually creating more issues. By reducing RoF, you get less reliable results against both infantry and tanks. You would also had to nerf AoE as an increase in damage would mean more wipes.

3- 160dmg sources are easier to balance around because most units are balanced around this figure. Basically all infantry have 80HP. Vehicles tend to have values which makes them survive X amount of 160dmg.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

6 Dec 2018, 14:22 PM

IS-2 I believe really needs just a veterancy 1 change to that HE shell we tested a long time ago to give it something to help smash positions/stun/clear infantry.

-People will complain misses hurt it too much as increase damage generally comes with higher reloads; misses then hurt the IS-2

-It's either a nuke cannon vs infantry or it's the same as now so now you're worse with said reload; scatter changes would likely need AOE adjustments

-You only change the shots to kill vs select targets unless you enter the 240 range.

At best, deflection damage, maybe so it's more reliable vs other heavy vehicles and to represent the 122.

Agree 100%... Higher reload and more damage per shot is a horrible idea for the IS2. It would just be way too reliant on RNG to be useful.
6 Dec 2018, 20:58 PM

2- If you increase the damage but you nerf the RoF you are actually creating more issues. By reducing RoF, you get less reliable results against both infantry and tanks. You would also had to nerf AoE as an increase in damage would mean more wipes.

3- 160dmg sources are easier to balance around because most units are balanced around this figure. Basically all infantry have 80HP. Vehicles tend to have values which makes them survive X amount of 160dmg.

The is-2 that had 240 damage was a poorly designed unit. It could lose to a p4 because it's pen was abysmal as was its accuracy and ROF. The only thing it could do was wipe infantry (and boy did it do that) but at its price point bouncing and missing enemy mediums was in unacceptable. It now has some of the best pen in the game and Yuri has sobered up enough that it isn't a total crap shoot.
7 Dec 2018, 05:53 AM

As i recall, issues were not of low ROF and high damage, but of low penetration. U could wait loong time before it fires and bounces of Pz4. And that was trash. But now IS penetration is very reliable. So if we increase damage to 200, and decrease ROF. DPS would be almost the same, but burst damage will be higher, like a heavy tank should have
7 Dec 2018, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

As i recall, issues were not of low ROF and high damage, but of low penetration. U could wait loong time before it fires and bounces of Pz4. And that was trash. But now IS penetration is very reliable. So if we increase damage to 200, and decrease ROF. DPS would be almost the same, but burst damage will be higher, like a heavy tank should have

Low RoF means it's a nerf in the AI department.
If you maintain the same DPS, the 200dmg is a nerf to it's AT performance. Let me put it more clear.
Say rof is 6s (from avg 6.4), so you need to increase rof to 7.5. This is the TTK for most vehicles in game if i didn't skip anything. OR at least anything relevant

320 > 2 vs 2 HTs
400 > 3 vs 2 P2/Puma
480 > 3 vs 3 Stug-E
560 > 4 vs 3 Stug-G
640 > 4 vs 4 Most medium vehicles in game
800 > 5 vs 4 Advance medium or vetted medium with HP increase
960 > 6 vs 5 PV
1040 > 7 vs 6 Tiger/Ele
1280 > 8 vs 7 KT/ST/JT/Ace

Red is worst performance and green the opposite. And this is only with perfect accuracy and penetration. Miss and failed pens would require more shots, therefore making most if not all match ups worst.

7 Dec 2018, 10:31 AM

IS-2 main gun went thru many changes like low penetration but deflection damage and stun, to high penetration.

Updates for June 11th, 2013
IS-2:
- Reload time from 8.25s to 9s
- Scatter from 10m to 7.5m
- 1 in 6 chance of 5 second crew shocked critical on target deflections
- Penetration increased from 110 to 140
- 25% of the shell’s damage is applied on non-penetrating rounds against enemy armor.

Updates July 30th, 2013
IS-2
• Scatter distance max from 7.5 to 2.86

Update September 10th, 2013
IS-2
• Damage from 160 to 240
• Penetration from 140 to 170
• Deflection damage removed from the main gun

Update April 24th, 2014
IS-2

Penetration from 170 to 220
Damage from 240 to 160
Reload from 9 to 6.2-6.6
Distance scatter max from 2.86 to 5.7

JUNE 21st BALANCE UPDATE
IS-2

Scatter offset adjusted to match other vehicles.
Penetration increased from 250/220/190 to 250/230/210
7 Dec 2018, 11:01 AM

Low RoF means it's a nerf in the AI department.
If you maintain the same DPS, the 200dmg is a nerf to it's AT performance. Let me put it more clear.
Say rof is 6s (from avg 6.4), so you need to increase rof to 7.5. This is the TTK for most vehicles in game if i didn't skip anything. OR at least anything relevant

Man, i beleive you, that the numbers are right, and in terms of pure balance u are right too.
But let me explain what my point is:
When the game started and i've known nothing about balance and unit stats, i always took IS-2 or Tiger, no matter it's low accurac, because i wanted to have some powerful shooting guns, wrecking havok, loundly exploding and so on. I just enjoyed when IS-2 hit something, cuz it was a juicy bangaboom and it did lots of damage. Maybe it was ineffective, but it was fun, like watching some blockbuster popcorn movie))) I leterally shouted "Take that u bastard!!!!" when IS-2 ot tiger landed devastating shots on enemy vehicles)))

Now special effects are the same but the gun damage took all the fun personally for me. It feels like IS-2 or tiger fire broken rounds))

So it's more about game feelings, than about actual balance. Yet i don't really know how to make these units perform powerful but not OP in the same time.
7 Dec 2018, 12:48 PM

I think biggest flaw of that thing is it default 40 range. It would be fine if overloaded vet2 range bonus moved to vet0, same goes for Tiger and its bizzare 45 default range, its just more painful for IS-2 due to Panther spam.
7 Dec 2018, 16:35 PM

IS2 is overshadowed by Pershing.

Gun: IS2 << Pershing
Armor: IS2 > Pershing
Maneuverability: IS2 < Pershing
7 Dec 2018, 17:38 PM

That or increase the pen of the main gun. At least it fits the theme of drunk gunner being able to only hit the side of a barn.
7 Dec 2018, 23:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

IS2 is overshadowed by Pershing.

Gun: IS2 << Pershing
Armor: IS2 > Pershing
Maneuverability: IS2 < Pershing

HP.

One has the HP of an advance medium and the other from a heavy tank.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★