Login

russian armor

Current squad AI is bad.

28 Jan 2018, 15:11 PM

After the patch you may have noticed units going prone who haven't done that before (Grens, Rifles, Cons, Penals). There are currently 2 kinds of squad ai which are triggered when you use Attack move (or just an attack order). Both of them have 1 flaw though, units tend to walk or crawl around even though they are supposed to stand still and shoot. It gets worse because they always tend to walk into each other thus clumping together.

You can easily reproduce this situation with any unit (preferably 4 men squads) by using attack move on a unit outside of your range. The gif shows it. Notice how one Grens runs towards his mates. If you ever wondered why your full health Grenadiers could get wiped on open terrain by one mortar shell, that's probably what caused it.

I believe we should return to the old squad AI. I see no downsides to it besides the men no longer going prone with their standard guns. Squad spacing has only become worse with the new AI.

If you want to compare the behaviour without much effort, compare normal "Riflemen" and "Elite Riflemen"(only spawnable in cheatmode).
28 Jan 2018, 15:54 PM

@Mods, can you please create poll for this thread?

I want to vote YES so much for this idea :)
28 Jan 2018, 15:57 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Hasn't the Squad AI always been a little clumsy?
28 Jan 2018, 16:26 PM

That actually looks more like something wrong with squad formations than squad AI... Like the gren entity is trying to occupy a spot in the formation the other gren is already in once the squad AI/combat kicks in.
28 Jan 2018, 16:42 PM

Don't A-move your squads, and you won't have this issue.
28 Jan 2018, 16:54 PM

That actually looks more like something wrong with squad formations than squad AI... Like the gren entity is trying to occupy a spot in the formation the other gren is already in once the squad AI/combat kicks in.

No, it's definitely the squad AI here's 1 of the 2 current squad AIs. However the amount of movement may be influenced by squad formation. Penals and Cons suffer from it less than current Rifles.
-- squadai plan file

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- sound options

sound =
{
soundDirectory = "Battle_Chatter",
soundPercentage = 30.0,
}

-- plan

plan =
{
-- phase0: Before First Bound
{
type = DATA_PHASE,
name = "START ENGINEER PLAN: all move",
--
{
apply_to = {ET_Core, ET_RFlank, ET_LFlank},
actions =
{
ACTION_MOVE_POSTURE_EXT( DT_MIN_ELEM_RANGE, 1.0, 1.0, 45.0, nil, PACE_FAST, PACE_FAST, POSTURE_CROUCH, POSTURE_PRONE, 1.0, false, false, false ),
}
},
},

-- phase1 - wait
{
type = DATA_PHASE,
name = "Return Fire (wait1 1.5secs)",
{
apply_to = ET_All,
actions =
{
ACTION_MOVE_LOS( 1.0 )
},
},
},
}

And this is the squad Ai that was used for Riflemen and in bascially identical form for other squads such as Grens before:

-- command macros
import("squadai-util")

-- squadai plan file

-- sound options

sound =
{
soundDirectory = "Battle_Chatter",
soundPercentage = 30.0,
}

-- plan

plan =
{
-- phase0: Before First Bound
{
type = DATA_PHASE,
name = "START PLAN: all move NO COVER NO BACKWARDS",
--
{
apply_to = ET_All,
actions =
{
ACTION_MOVE_LOS( 3.0 )
},
},
},

}

This is nonsense. A-move and the direct attack order (on a specific unit) by clicking are identical. The problem also not only occurs when you are entering the combat range.

What you basically tell me is to never order my troops to attack anyone but just move them within fighting range, however focusing certain squads/weakpoints is a fundamental part of the gameplay.
28 Jan 2018, 16:58 PM

Also the models randomly stop shooting and becomes fluctuating puppets with opened arms.

It's the art of fixing what ain't broke while leaving broken stuff broken.

But hey thanks for the "new infantry combat experience" dbp team lul.
28 Jan 2018, 17:13 PM
Donator 11

Also the models randomly stop shooting and becomes fluctuating puppets with opened arms.

It's the art of fixing what ain't broke while leaving broken stuff broken.

But hey thanks for the "new infantry combat experience" dbp team lul.

I think somebody already checked that and confirmed it is just a graphical glitch. The model is still dealing damage normally in that state.
28 Jan 2018, 17:15 PM

This is nonsense. A-move and the direct attack order (on a specific unit) by clicking are identical. The problem also not only occurs when you are entering the combat range.

What you basically tell me is to never order my troops to attack anyone but just move them within fighting range, however focusing certain squads/weakpoints is a fundamental part of the gameplay.

If you're in cover when you issue an attack command, none of the models will move.

So, spend the time to issue proper commands to each squad in your blob, and you won't get hit by the delay.
28 Jan 2018, 17:23 PM

When visual effects come first and gameplay second ...

And then we wonder why people nowadays prefer aoe like games, with puddingy graphics but good user interference :)
28 Jan 2018, 17:27 PM

If you're in cover when you issue an attack command, none of the models will move.

So, spend the time to issue proper commands to each squad in your blob, and you won't get hit by the delay.

This is absurd and any person who plays the game can tell you that. I could partly fix the problem myself by using a makro which tells the unit to stop + attack whenever I do a right click. Why on earth do I have to resort to such ridiculous methods to fix problems which are not supposed to exist in the first place? (and could be easily fixed)
28 Jan 2018, 20:14 PM

I've seen movement reminiscent of the old dancing that guards, shocks, us officers, etc. used to do but on conscripts (haven't seen it on those other squads). It's definitely not just "issuing proper commands" @Mr. Smith. you'll tell them to take cover, and then sometimes they'll rearrange themselves spontaneously after already taking cover.
28 Jan 2018, 22:35 PM

+1 this.
Also, you could just revert it with a hotfix for a while 'til you find a way. I can't remember how many times I lost a race to a building or to a weapon lying on the ground because my units clumped up and decided to go full derp.
28 Jan 2018, 22:52 PM

This is absurd and any person who plays the game can tell you that. I could partly fix the problem myself by using a makro which tells the unit to stop + attack whenever I do a right click. Why on earth do I have to resort to such ridiculous methods to fix problems which are not supposed to exist in the first place? (and could be easily fixed)

+1
28 Jan 2018, 23:21 PM

+ 1 so much.

The current squad AI feels exactly like the shitty vCoH squad AI, where certain models jump around and do whatever they want.

I noticed it a lot on Pzgrens and shock troops. I move into effective weapon range, give the attack order, and instead of standing still and shooting, 2 or 3 models decide to jump a few meters back and crawl on the floor for a few seconds like a bunch of morons.

This crap can cost you an important engagement!

New squad AI also caused numerous animation bugs, where models will not hold their rifle properly, instead, the rifle just "sticks" to their chest.

If you cant fix it, just return to the old squad AI in the next hotfix patch (if there is one), I BEG you.
29 Jan 2018, 00:02 AM

yeah, definitely been noticing a lot more weird squad dancing ever since the new patch came out. Not to mention how my Riflemen or Tommies keep ending up either with their guns through their chest or suspended in mid-air.

Don't think this new squad AI is worth the trouble.
29 Jan 2018, 07:52 AM

I too support this.
Besides, attack move is a propper command... blob or not...
29 Jan 2018, 09:02 AM

Something different but related: Some models in sqaud refuse to move away from combat when soft-retreating: They lag behind and die.

It happens so often, I refer to that model as "frank" now.

I hate frank.
29 Jan 2018, 10:56 AM

Ideally squad AI should also trigger even if you press stop/your squad is idle to prevent people from bypassing it to avoid punishment. Unfortunately squad ai plans are unmoddable and all existing udle plans are terrible; squads jumping out of cover, beong baited wtc.

I guwss we could revert the squad ai change. The side-effect is that lmg blovs will, once again, have an effortless task at focusing down and wiping down squads.

#MakeLMGBlobsGreatAgain

@Zarok

Frank was ensuring that your entire squad is not bunched up on the same spot while you were busy dodging explosives. Unfoetunately, Frank is also preventing squads from entering buildings, which is why he has to go.

You are going to misss Frank.
29 Jan 2018, 10:59 AM

even better, don´t fire COH2 anymore and you will get perfect balance...

you have to be mad or something....I would feel ashamed if I were you after looking at your answers in this forum....
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight