Login

russian armor

COH3 is pretty good now, where are the players?

2 Jan 2024, 20:20 PM

I’ve came back to the COH-scene after being away long. I was pretty hyped about coh3.
I’ve bought myself a very good rig to enjoy the game in its full glory, to go back to COH2 after a few games cause.. it just feels so not-polished.
Kinda boring. I really want to like the game but it just feels not interesting enough for me.

I like COH2 again. Back to comp-stomping as I find PvP way to stressfull :D
2 Jan 2024, 20:58 PM

One complaint of Coh2 was there is no light vehicle play. Coh3 brings us to where peoples complaints brought us. It also matches the war setting in the area.

Another Coh2 complaint was heavy tank stall. Thus light and mediums are the focus. Go ahead and stall for a Tiger, I will have map control with my M8s and Chaffees. Then I will snare and circle your Tiger to death.

It seems like Relic did exactly what people asked for. It just needs more VP tick time (not less), so people can play up to larger tanks before the time runs out.

Mos based take in the thread.
3 Jan 2024, 04:50 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Mos based take in the thread.

Yeah I'd agree with Rosbone here but... it's a bit of a rock and a hard place situation. I know a lot of people complained about the long length of games. There are a lot of different kinds of players in pvp.
Some are super casual and don't care about winning or losing.
Some are quite competitive and aren't so good so they quit when they start losing.
Some people are quite competitive and good, so they quit when they realize that they cannot win.
...etc. etc.

Overall, Relic chose to go with faster VP tick rate to make shorter games. They have bigger maps, so I wonder if they experimented with 5 VPs, where there are 3 along the center line and one safe for each team. A struggling team will be 4-1 and lose 3 VPs (equivalent to CoH1/2 "triple cap") while teams getting stomped might be 4-0 or 5-0 and lose even faster... they also could've tried some "super VP" where it counts as two or even 3 VPs.

But these permutations add complexity and unexplored territory and has other impacts on elements of the game like UI, map design, capture speed, and I'm sure many others.

Overall, it seems easier to have changed lesser things and even revert back to CoH1 in many ways.
3 Jan 2024, 11:57 AM

One complaint of Coh2 was there is no light vehicle play. Coh3 brings us to where peoples complaints brought us. It also matches the war setting in the area.

Another Coh2 complaint was heavy tank stall. Thus light and mediums are the focus. Go ahead and stall for a Tiger, I will have map control with my M8s and Chaffees. Then I will snare and circle your Tiger to death.

It seems like Relic did exactly what people asked for. It just needs more VP tick time (not less), so people can play up to larger tanks before the time runs out.

Up until the last sentence, I agree.
VPs do feel fine, stomps end fast and equal games last due to constant contested VPs.

CoH3 is a result of 10 years of CoH2 feedback and is true spiritual successor to CoH1 with crapload of QoL additions.
3 Jan 2024, 14:39 PM

I'm still not sure where I stand on the whole VP tick rate thing. If some super heavies or more lategame vehicles got introduced perhaps it would make even more sense. Though after hating it at first I will say I'm quite used to the shorter length of games now.

Maps and commanders are probably the two biggest missing pieces, for me. The challenge will be introducing new commanders while trying to keep the game somewhat balanced and not harming build variety too much. With that said, I'm still holding out hope for sound that's worthy of the previous entries, a proper crush mechanic and the ability to war crime those fucking medics, that would go a long way as well but that's just my personal preference.

3 Jan 2024, 15:19 PM

Imo this issue could be solved with something I had suggested for coh 2 also. One could change the tick rate according to game size.

That could also help the problem with command point gain having different speed according to game size (or one could also adjust CP gain according to game game).
3 Jan 2024, 18:49 PM

Up until the last sentence, I agree.
VPs do feel fine, stomps end fast and equal games last due to constant contested VPs.

I have no opinion about the VP time. I was just saying, logically, if you want to have lights and mediums be important for more than a minute or two you will need to play longer so that heavies have a time to shine. In my mind that means longer games or longer VP tick rates.
4 Jan 2024, 04:02 AM

Personally, as a very casual coh2 and coh3 player, I like the overall direction that coh3 has moved in. I much prefer medium tanks being the general end game for team games because it feels like you have more options overall in fighting against it. Coh2 had a nasty habit of team games devolving into Panthers/super heavies vs allied TDs because they were so overwhelming against anything else. Coh3 does a much better job of structing the late game in a way that I think will be more balanced and allow greater variety of units as we get more battlegroups coming out.

On the topic of heavies I do agree that currently they come out very slowly and feel less like a centerpiece even in the battlegroups that have them. However, I personally would be interested in seeing them toned down and made a bit cheaper. Right now they are sorta like super heavies in terms of cost which seems like buffing them would be the wrong way to go without forcing the coh2 meta which I strongly dislike. Instead toning down their power and making them less of a step up from the rest of the late game I think could help them find a happy middle ground.
Currently we have the regular mediums like the Sherman and Panzer IV. Then above them are the premium medium tanks such as the Easy 8 and Panther. Then above those is meant to be the Tiger and Black Prince but the issue is that they are so much more above the premiums that they rarely get used. I really like where the Panther has more so ended up in coh3 as a strong addition but not so far above mediums that they become irrelevant once Panthers start rolling out. It's much better for the game that the base roster can keep up generally and then battlegroups give noticeable but not insane upgrades.
4 Jan 2024, 04:05 AM

I think something in between current coh3 speed and coh2 speed would be ideal

Since the last major patch of coh3, 81% of 1v1s ended before 30 mins. I dont think theres anything necesarily wrong with that, in coh2 from the same date it was 71% which isnt THAT different

2v2 in the same time span is 75% for coh3 and 66% for coh2. Again not rly a big deal, but I think they could stand to be a little slower

Coh3 feels like it snowballs more quickly than coh2 in general and i dont think its always a stomp when thats the case
4 Jan 2024, 23:16 PM

I'm really trying, but I only play it because I spend 40€ on it, and I can ask for a refund now. I have about 5000 hours in COH2 and I can't get in this new game, to confuse,people just blob, it's a mess.
5 Jan 2024, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think something in between current coh3 speed and coh2 speed would be ideal

Since the last major patch of coh3, 81% of 1v1s ended before 30 mins. I dont think theres anything necesarily wrong with that, in coh2 from the same date it was 71% which isnt THAT different

2v2 in the same time span is 75% for coh3 and 66% for coh2. Again not rly a big deal, but I think they could stand to be a little slower

Coh3 feels like it snowballs more quickly than coh2 in general and i dont think its always a stomp when thats the case

I think the faster tick rate might be a good option for more casual play if the search time between games is short enough. I have often not played CoH2 just because I did not know if I sign up for a 30 min match or the full hour. But, on the other hand, those 1 hour slogs were often the best games I had, because they were so balanced that they went that far and there were so many moments and desperate attempts from both sides to decide the game. These games don't seem to happen much in CoH3.
AE's casts of "pro level play" lasted 30-50 min in CoH2, now it is more like 20-30 and the whole Best of 5 series is done what would previously have been 2 videos. I just don't find it pleasant to watch. I want to see a potential comeback which don't seem all that possible in CoH3.

Adjusting the game time would be easy. Just add another 100 VP to the clock. Or make some shift between tick rate and VPs to give a more pleasantly looking 300 or 500 VP counter. Even smaller changes such as VPs not counting towards the win as soon as they are contested (although this needs more testing) could help.
5 Jan 2024, 15:26 PM

Even smaller changes such as VPs not counting towards the win as soon as they are contested (although this needs more testing) could help.

That's a very interesting one. Would also like to see that tested, and i wonder if its worth seeing how it would effect the game if they did it for resource points as well. Tho that 2nd part might be unnecessary
5 Jan 2024, 17:42 PM

Long games are definitely possible even with new tickrate, as long as the match is actually balanced. I see it all the time. If a match lasts 20min, it means one side just played worse (or got cheesed by OP strats idk)

Click on the image and you can see the timer
5 Jan 2024, 17:47 PM

Long games are definitely possible even with new tickrate, as long as the match is actually balanced.

Until recently thats been a major problem tho. Player counts being so low means balanced matches have been not as common as we all would like

Def getting better over the last month, i will say that

I do think vehicle accel changes cause some early ggs tho. You see vehicles from all factions surviving dives that they really shouldnt. They'll kill what they dove for and then get away when they really shouldve been punished or at least had an even trade
6 Jan 2024, 01:50 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Tickrate adjustment might not happen in the live game, but in tournament settings you can easily adjust VPs.

I believe CoH2 measures VPs every 4 seconds while CoH3 does the same every 3 seconds, so games are 25% faster in CoH3 as compared to CoH2. I would be interested in seeing tournaments or another competitive format increasing the number of VPs, perhaps 600, perhaps 650 (I can't recall if you can increase VPs by 50 or only 100 in Custom Game lobbies). I think the full 750 VPs might feel too long as compared to what we're used to.
6 Jan 2024, 23:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Long games are definitely possible even with new tickrate, as long as the match is actually balanced. I see it all the time. If a match lasts 20min, it means one side just played worse (or got cheesed by OP strats idk)

Click on the image and you can see the timer

They are possible, but much, much rarer.
Correct me if I am wrong, but logically the faster tick rate just makes comebacks harder and heavily punishes misplays once your down to let's say 50ish VPs. The game times overall are lower in CoH3 (which could also be a balance issue) and the casted games of the pro scene are shorter as well. The videos I clicked through often had games of 20-25 minutes, only a minority goes significantly longer.
This doesn't have to be bad by default, it's just the way it is - quicker and more plannable games at the price of snowballing and reduced comebacks.
7 Jan 2024, 15:14 PM

I don't know about others but I've always found that 45-50 min is the absolute maximum I wanna go in a game, I just get worn out and it becomes completely unfun and draining after that. I think the reasons CoH3 is still somewhat boring to play and especially to watch lie elsewhere.
8 Jan 2024, 10:36 AM

Tickrate adjustment might not happen in the live game, but in tournament settings you can easily adjust VPs.

I believe CoH2 measures VPs every 4 seconds while CoH3 does the same every 3 seconds, so games are 25% faster in CoH3 as compared to CoH2. I would be interested in seeing tournaments or another competitive format increasing the number of VPs, perhaps 600, perhaps 650 (I can't recall if you can increase VPs by 50 or only 100 in Custom Game lobbies). I think the full 750 VPs might feel too long as compared to what we're used to.

This already happened, check the 2k dollar tourney ae ran. The finals were 600 vps (equivalent to coh2 vps in time)
8 Jan 2024, 12:13 PM
Benefactor 115

I'm not a fan of long matches so the VP tick rate is good for me.

If anything, I think it should be faster.
8 Jan 2024, 13:47 PM

No, it's not not interesting. This is a game about spam for the sake of spam and only spam. And even the players in the chat talk about it.If you are interested in playing spam and blob, well, you have very special tastes.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★