Login

russian armor

Auto reinforce

17 Jan 2023, 11:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2023, 11:17 AMKatitof

What does it bring?
What does it improve if you have to input couple more actions?
All it does it make you spam additional button.
There is no skill involved in that.
There is no micro involved in that.
There is no planning involved in that.
There is no immersion involved in that.
It does not improve combat, it does not improve overall experience, it does not make you better at the game.
You just mash one more button every X seconds.

This is like complaining that in SC2 you could control more then 12 units in the same control group and arguing it was somehow less skill involving.

I think auto-reinforce for the HQ is a good thing, but HTs are a bit too much. Makes it way too easy to keep up the front line. If it would at least cost some micro, but there is nothing to it except right-clicking next to the HT...
17 Jan 2023, 11:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2023, 11:37 AMGarrett

I think auto-reinforce for the HQ is a good thing, but HTs are a bit too much. Makes it way too easy to keep up the front line. If it would at least cost some micro, but there is nothing to it except right-clicking next to the HT...

No one ever struggled to keep inf reinforced on field in coh2.
Hell, I did osttruppen spam and 251 endlessly reinforcing them in combat myself, it was not hard, it was not complicated, it was not strategical, it was all about "will they retreat before I lose more manpower then I plan to", literally nothing else, ever.

Its not spamming or not F button that kept easily units on field, it was abundance of MP and squishiness of enemy units.

You literally would not see a difference is autoreinforce was in coh2, so please, stop pretending it is anything else then controlling MP drain.
17 Jan 2023, 12:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2023, 11:47 AMKatitof

No one ever struggled to keep inf reinforced on field in coh2.
Hell, I did osttruppen spam and 251 endlessly reinforcing them in combat myself, it was not hard, it was not complicated, it was not strategical, it was all about "will they retreat before I lose more manpower then I plan to", literally nothing else, ever.

Its not spamming or not F button that kept easily units on field, it was abundance of MP and squishiness of enemy units.

You literally would not see a difference is autoreinforce was in coh2, so please, stop pretending it is anything else then controlling MP drain.

The only thing I personally think might be an issue is the halftrack reinforce. Idk. Is it really a balance issue? Its not really that hard to counter once you focus the HT but it is quite goofy.

And Katitof I would agree that it's playing chicken with manpower except there are ways that allied factions can reduce manpower drain from infantry.

Again, I don't really think its OP, its easily countered by 2x MGs, but it does look silly.
17 Jan 2023, 12:46 PM

2x MGs plus marders to kill the halftrack I might add.

I did also see a wehrmacht player using assault grens and throwing the assault nades while in smoke standing next to an ht lol. I probably should have killed the HT first.
17 Jan 2023, 18:43 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2023, 16:11 PMluvnest

And as a result putting yourself at a disadvantage compared to the players who have it enabled? This is not a feature of personal preference like hotkey layout.
I turned it off at the right times and it gave me and advantage, cause of timing of call ins. Turned it back on after it.

I still think all these things that take away micro and macro skills make the game less intresting. :/
21 Jan 2023, 09:11 AM
Donator 11

It's a good feature. 90% of the time you'd reinforce your squads anyway, the times when you need to save the MP to build your tank a bit earlier do exist, but are rather rare.

It reduces stupid and mindless clicking. There is nothing tactical or strategic about spamming the reinforce button. Instead, it frees time for actual micro management and unit positioning.

Well said. Great quality of life improvement. No impact on strategy, as it is also optional.

Not sure who actually enjoys starring at his/her base and pressing "r"... :)
21 Jan 2023, 09:21 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2023, 14:31 PMluvnest
I understand where they are coming from, but for me personally I don't like this over-simplification. The little macro management CoH has has now been reduced even further. A sign of a decent player is not only how he manages combat, but also takes care of how fast reinforcements and replenished squads get back on the field. Also there is no reason to ever look at the base again apart from building the few structures a faction has to offer.

I understand where you are comming from, as you are also a very high-level player. But, taking your argument further, would you then favor also pressing respective keys for "reloading" rifles or "filling in gas" into tanks?

I believe the CoH series thrives when focused on the strong tactical RTS combat - this is enhanced by automizing elements distracting from the heart of the game.
21 Jan 2023, 13:52 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

I understand where you are comming from, as you are also a very high-level player. But, taking your argument further, would you then favor also pressing respective keys for "reloading" rifles or "filling in gas" into tanks?

I believe the CoH series thrives when focused on the strong tactical RTS combat - this is enhanced by automizing elements distracting from the heart of the game.

Yes of course. I'd also like introduce that you have to inspect your troops regularly in order to make sure their shoes laces are tied.
21 Jan 2023, 14:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2023, 13:52 PMluvnest

Yes of course. I'd also like introduce that you have to inspect your troops regularly in order to make sure their shoes laces are tied.

+1
21 Jan 2023, 16:54 PM
Donator 11

I assume this would be the L-Key for "Laces"..

Feel like you are clouding my sarcasm with yours to avoid the argument :)
21 Jan 2023, 21:47 PM

Somebody in this thread would get a boner for how much more user involvement this would add to the game.
22 Jan 2023, 03:21 AM

I like the autoreinforcement. I understand the 1 on 1 competetive players where "maybe" clicking 3 - 5 times "F" is something to think about or maybe has 0,5% impact in a top level tournament final between 2 topplayers, if one of both forgets to reinforce parts of his retreated units because the game went chaotic and lost some sec later if he realized, that his retreated units are still not reinforced.

But for most player it will be a QoL addition. I never looked in my base in coh, instead reinforced my units with hotkeys while keeping my eyes on the front. But this simple clicks adds nothing to the gamefun or anything. It just has a impact on real toplvl matches in 1on1 if a game reach a high level of intensity. But thats just so rare.

And what keeps the game alive is mostly 4on4 where player want a good time and action on the screen without wasteing thier attention to keep the hotkeys in mind. For everybody above 100h it becomes nothing else than a routine, like checking if the stove is off before leaving the house. Some may see it as skill - but basically i see it just as a automatism for everybody which is expierenced in coh. So there is no downgrade for all, which do this anyway by automatism and learnd it that way since coh1.
And coh never was or is this "hardcore" micromanagement game. There are way better games for this kind, where you can micro every single soldier etc. - while coh was always a way more userfriendly alternative with things like "retreat function" ( which is basically a no brainmove compared to other rts games where you just lose your units if you retreat through enemy units or you have just 1 - 2 soldiers left and escape with retreatbutton because suddenly after a exhausting heavy fight, they can jump up with full gear and run like hell through mg fire with a damage-reduction??? ) and also the whole concept of "squads" where you have a full squad and not single soldiers etc. ....
CoH is the more "casual" alternative and should stay on that road. It has a reason, why this heavy micromanagement games have a small playerbase compared to the CoH-series.
22 Jan 2023, 05:08 AM

And coh never was or is this "hardcore" micromanagement game...while coh was always a way more userfriendly alternative with things like "retreat function" ( which is basically a no brainmove compared to other rts games where you just lose your units if you retreat through enemy units or you have just 1 - 2 soldiers left and escape with retreatbutton because suddenly after a exhausting heavy fight, they can jump up with full gear and run like hell through mg fire with a damage-reduction??? ) and also the whole concept of "squads" where you have a full squad and not single soldiers etc...

cough

There are way better games for this kind, where you can micro every single soldier etc..CoH is the more "casual" alternative and should stay on that road. It has a reason, why this heavy micromanagement games have a small playerbase compared to the CoH-series.

cough cough

Highly agree on all points. You made a better argument than I did as well I think.
23 Jan 2023, 14:09 PM
Patrion 14

It's interesting to me to see people not being happy about the auto reinforce/vault QoL but do not adress the Tactmap QoL changes.

The tactmap now lets you repair vehicles, retreat out of buildings and set up support weapons. Something I really like, but feels more like "dumbing" down the game for me compared to the no brainers like vault/reinforce.
23 Jan 2023, 15:54 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

I assume this would be the L-Key for "Laces"..

Feel like you are clouding my sarcasm with yours to avoid the argument :)

Alright, I doubt that driving your tank back to base every 5 min to refuel would benefit the gameflow in any way. So no, I would not like that. However, I do like basic macro management in RTS games. That includes reeinforcement management and base buildings. Simplifying that already basic process hurts the game in my eyes. Let me ask you this: why not take this further and move units to a way point after being fully reeinforced? Or automatically search cover?
Btw, I was against adding the "manual reload" button in Coh2. I would have been fine to reset magazines after a short time when out of combat. That is tedious.
23 Jan 2023, 16:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2023, 15:54 PMluvnest
Alright, I doubt that driving your tank back to base every 5 min to refuel would benefit the gameflow in any way. So no, I would not like that. However, I do like basic macro management in RTS games. That includes reeinforcement management and base buildings. Simplifying that already basic process hurts the game in my eyes. Let me ask you this: why not take this further and move units to a way point after being fully reeinforced? Or automatically search cover?
Btw, I was against adding the "manual reload" button in Coh2. I would have been fine to reset magazines after a short time when out of combat. That is tedious.

I can't follow your argument.
Your point initially was that good players should be able to differentiate themselves from bad ones by "how fast reinforcements and replenished squads get back on the field". Basically, keeping your army combat ready. But replenishing squads is not a tactical decision (with very few exceptions), it is just adding micro. Obviously bad players won't micro as well, but if your core differentiator is "high vs low micro", then the other examples should be fine too. If that's not your point, then please elaborate how reinforcing - apart from few times when you want to save MP to get another unit out quicker - has a tactical component, because I fail to see it.
Refueling would even have a tactical component: Deciding when your front will be more vulnerable and how mobile you keep your tanks in order to not needing to refuel as much.
I'd actually be for the idea of setting a movement point after reinforcement. We already have a similarly functioning mechanic: The gathering point after a unit has been build. It's the same thing: getting a unit that is combat ready to the front line without adding micro.
23 Jan 2023, 20:36 PM

DoW2 always had auto reinforce.
It was much more micro intensive game then coh2 and especially coh3.
Literally no one felt like a bad player, because you didn't had to mash additional button like a trained monkey and you still could easily tell who was good and who sucked.

Its a QoL feature.
Its baffling to equalize it with any kind of skill, planning, micro or macro.

You're not better then me, because you mashed F button 5 times 10 seconds faster then I did, if you do feel like that, you're playing wrong game.

CoH series was never about macro in any way outside of planning ahead so you don't end up with army that can be easily hardcountered by 1 unit.
24 Jan 2023, 05:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2023, 20:36 PMKatitof
DoW2 always had auto reinforce.
It was much more micro intensive game then coh2 and especially coh3.
Literally no one felt like a bad player, because you didn't had to mash additional button like a trained monkey and you still could easily tell who was good and who sucked.

Its a QoL feature.
Its baffling to equalize it with any kind of skill, planning, micro or macro.

You're not better then me, because you mashed F button 5 times 10 seconds faster then I did, if you do feel like that, you're playing wrong game.

CoH series was never about macro in any way outside of planning ahead so you don't end up with army that can be easily hardcountered by 1 unit.

Oh yes, great example. A game that averages 700 people a day at its best. DoW2 was a boring, super simplified CoH. I would not be surprised that most players preferred the Last Stand mode, which is still played today.
24 Jan 2023, 08:09 AM

It would, like having proper repairing time and not the overspeedy one we've been forced to get in coh2, tanks have more availability than infantry in coh2 because of that.

Hitting the retreat button will basically equal hitting the repair button to get your tank fully replenished in one click. Or shall we ask to implement different repair frames on tanks to force player to hit several time the repair button to get their tank fully operational. Like 10 frames per tank and every 10% repaired you must click again to get the next 10% done etc..., something that could simulate the various mechanical areas a tank need to be repaired, tracks, armor, engine etc...
24 Jan 2023, 09:27 AM
Donator 11

I understand the risk of oversimplification very well - but I am not sure if this is happening here.

The only objective criteria i could come up with to move this away from a preference discussion is "does the action have an impact on your tactic/strategy or is it simply a repetitive element".

I would say, re-inforcement, as its happening constantly and its needed, does not have this impact - particularly as you can chose to stay manual in the new system in the rare moments when it could have (saving MP for tech). By this option the tactical impact is maintained, but the repetitive action is reduced. Which I believe is great as it avoids oversimplifaction but increases QoL.

In this light, I also like the idea of fully reinforced units moving to a waypoint, as the tactical choice of unit positioning is still in players hands (by waypoint setting). But this is not given for "automatically search cover", as here the tactical choice/impact is taken away from the player (be in cover or plain sight).

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★