Login

russian armor

Replace m8 Scott with the calliope.

2 Jul 2021, 16:42 PM

The M8 Scott comes out too late to be considered to be a worthy investment for the late game. If I have the choice between a M8 Scott or waiting a few more minutes for a Sherman, I'll take the Sherman. The Sherman can fill the gap that the Scott does plus defense against tanks.

Proposition: replace the M8 Scott with the calliope. Move the 105mm Sherman to the doctrines with the calliope. Place the Scott within the recon support commander (thematic) with the greyhound and make it a 3 CP call in. I think it would also fit with rifle company or mechanized support company as well.

This would make players less dependent on picking doctrines with heavy artillery, especially in 4v4s, and make other commanders more appealing

2 Jul 2021, 16:56 PM

2 Jul 2021, 16:59 PM

It will never happen, USF is my favorite faction and it would make USF OP. I would say right now Rifle Company is USF weakest commander and it would be difficult to beat with Calliope as part of the stock lineup. A player could literally mine the map, call out E8 to brawl and destroy enemy units with the cali especially combined with White phos smoke. Same would happen with Pershing and possible armor company due to ass eng laying down mines.
2 Jul 2021, 17:25 PM

It will never happen, USF is my favorite faction and it would make USF OP. I would say right now Rifle Company is USF weakest commander and it would be difficult to beat with Calliope as part of the stock lineup. A player could literally mine the map, call out E8 to brawl and destroy enemy units with the cali especially combined with White phos smoke. Same would happen with Pershing and possible armor company due to ass eng laying down mines.

Thanks for an actual response and not a stupid meme post.

I think you could apply this logic to any faction with non-doc artillery though. Panthers with stukas/panzerwerfers, t34s with katyushas, etc. I don't see how giving the US an expensive non-doc artillery unit makes them OP.

If the calliope is what makes this not possible, what about replacing the Scott with another unit (maybe the 105mm sherman) and making it a CP call in?
2 Jul 2021, 18:06 PM

Thanks for an actual response and not a stupid meme post.

I think you could apply this logic to any faction with non-doc artillery though. Panthers with stukas/panzerwerfers, t34s with katyushas, etc. I don't see how giving the US an expensive non-doc artillery unit makes them OP.

If the calliope is what makes this not possible, what about replacing the Scott with another unit (maybe the 105mm sherman) and making it a CP call in?

I think the main issue would be the Jackson zoning out the Panther and the Calliope could actually destroy both stuka and panzerwerfer in a lucky barrage due to area and volume of rockets. It would require a lot of rebalancing.
I have been playing a lot of soviets lately and the t3476 is straight trash, that is not going to stop a tank kiting the Katy. The stock mines, conscript snare, penal at satchel are what would make people think twice.

I would like the 105 to be stock, the Vet1 ability would allow for more consistent bunker busting compared to the Scott.
2 Jul 2021, 18:06 PM

I will say briefly that if the Calliope becomes nondoc somehow then it is almost certain to suffer the same fate as all other rocket arty - which is one hit kill. Calls would be made for it (not necessarily from me) and they would be hard to argue against.

Scott did suffer in recent nerfs but the previous situation of it outranging an AT gun was not acceptable either.

EDIT: The fundamental issue with the Scott is that it is a howitzer on treads and extremely difficult to pin down, even with a Puma. Smokes against dives and moves fast. LeFH can blow it to hell if they’re asleep at the wheel but otherwise it is a pain. Thus difficult to balance imho.
2 Jul 2021, 18:09 PM

I'd sooner see a rework to the Scott. Make it's barrage meaningful. Apply supression or something to make barraging a blob sorta useful instead of hoping to nab a single lucky hit.
If it's supposed to fill the hole of rockets in needs to have some better blob fighting capacity and we've seen from the B4 how strong spying supression in an area being barrage can be.

No supression on auto fire JUST the barrage.
2 Jul 2021, 18:18 PM

It would be nice if USF had a complete army and had access to artillery however I highly doubt they would make Calliope Non-Doctrinal.

Realistically it would be better to just remove the Auto Fire from the M8 Scott and turn it into the USF version of Katyusha/Panzerwerfer.

Also M8 Scotts were used in an anti-armor role (they could deal with Panzer 3 tanks easily and Japanese tanks)

So it would be interesting if as an alternative it could also function as a USF version of the SU-76
2 Jul 2021, 19:05 PM

It would be nice if USF had a complete army and had access to artillery however I highly doubt they would make Calliope Non-Doctrinal.

Realistically it would be better to just remove the Auto Fire from the M8 Scott and turn it into the USF version of Katyusha/Panzerwerfer.

Also M8 Scotts were used in an anti-armor role (they could deal with Panzer 3 tanks easily and Japanese tanks)

So it would be interesting if as an alternative it could also function as a USF version of the SU-76

i d like different fire modes
2 Jul 2021, 19:19 PM

i d like different fire modes

Especially since Sherman's share a similar theme.
2 Jul 2021, 19:22 PM

I mean the calliope should be stock (and weaker) but it's probably too late for that. I think we're stuck with that bad decision. The scott just needs another rework I guess
2 Jul 2021, 19:48 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Adjust Scott for a LV timing and swap it with the Pack Howitzer.

Rework Pack Howitzer into a good barrage only weapon.
2 Jul 2021, 20:54 PM

+1 really like this
2 Jul 2021, 21:48 PM

Or they can do the same method like OKW, give Calliope after upgrade all posts like KT after all sWs?
3 Jul 2021, 08:55 AM

too complex for them, see how the butcher the pak and scott on the same patch to become redundant units.
3 Jul 2021, 09:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2021, 08:55 AMEsxile

too complex for them, see how the butcher the pak and scott on the same patch to become redundant units.

Yea the MOD team are not that clever because double pack howizter was such a nice meta and they ruined it.
3 Jul 2021, 09:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2021, 08:55 AMEsxile

There was nothing good about squads being deleted on approach to a skill howie.
3 Jul 2021, 10:23 AM

There was nothing good about squads being deleted on approach to a skill howie.

"non skill" howie
3 Jul 2021, 12:38 PM

+1
3 Jul 2021, 13:03 PM

if the scott is to arrive earlier, cost and performance would drop, it would even perhaps not be that useful if it is to be nerfed to come out earlier than it does.
But it might have an ability locked behind major, once major is built, and enchanced barrage ability would be available
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★