Login

russian armor

Sturm Pioneer best infantry in the game?

18 Mar 2020, 16:00 PM

Now that I think about it I could see why some player just use Sturm Pioneer as their mainline, there is nothing they don't do
Healing unit
Assaulting unit
Repair unit
AT unit
Field crafting unit
Obstacle building unit
Obstacle clearing unit
OKW had the best units to start off with. And I might even consider just spamming them as core unit :)
18 Mar 2020, 16:01 PM

Uhhhhhh no
18 Mar 2020, 16:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I bleed and poor scaling compared to actual mainlines as well.

If you see Sturmpio spam outside of a 4v4, chances are that you play against a low level OKW player. The 5 min power spike is not worth the 25 min bleed afterwards.
18 Mar 2020, 16:37 PM

Anyone and their dog can easily beat SPs MP for MP...….riflemen/Inf sec behind cover and shooting from max distance till closed can easily kill 2 models. Conscripts maybe not, but SPs are not the infantry mowing machines people tend to believe (Looking at you SHOCKS).

Now of course, if you go round a corner and they're breathing down your neck like a lover - there's the T button. Don't hesitate or you'll be down a squad.

And then there's FlameSPs…...
18 Mar 2020, 16:45 PM

And then there's FlameSPs…...

Flame Spios are hard countered by mines. Only faction struggling with them is USF if they don’t get M6 mines.
18 Mar 2020, 16:45 PM

Flame Spios are hard countered by mines. Only faction struggling with them is USF if they don’t get M6 mines.

Shhhh, the USF miners will hear you!

Yes, SPs are quite easily countered.
18 Mar 2020, 16:51 PM

It's not possible, you will just lose mp like crazy with how expensive sturmpios are for their performance and they are quite fragile on top of that.
In short, bad idea.
18 Mar 2020, 17:43 PM

yes sturmpio spamming/blobbing only works in a noob vs noob rank 1000+ matchup
18 Mar 2020, 19:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think 95% of the forum will disagree.
18 Mar 2020, 19:56 PM

I think Sturmpioneers are a cool unit. Too expensive to spam, but extremely versatile. You want them everywhere at once, and that means their opportunity cost is very high. They are probably the best example of the OKW theme of an elite force stretched too thin.
20 Mar 2020, 02:40 AM

I think Sturmpioneers are a cool unit. Too expensive to spam, but extremely versatile. You want them everywhere at once, and that means their opportunity cost is very high. They are probably the best example of the OKW theme of an elite force stretched too thin.

This seems like an accurate description :)
20 Mar 2020, 02:55 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

How to beat sturmpios with anything that isn't conscripts:

"It works best when you pull the trigger" -Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool
20 Mar 2020, 08:28 AM

I have seen some high level plays where sturmpiospam worked, but it kinda depends on the opponent playing into it. The strategy seems to work best by focussing heavily on the infantry war with piospam into Obersoldaten Spam, using the shwerer panzer hq to defend your fuel/cut off while using infantry to apply pressure to the enemy fuel. Protection against LVs is provided by schrecks on 2 of the pio squads. Your infantry will simply bleed the enemy out while you save for a powerfull AT tank to deny an enemies comeback using an AI tank.

Where the strategy fails is when the enemy decides to not play into your infantry war, and instead focusses on bleeding your expensive infantry using HMGs, Indirect Fire, and snipers, and not focussing so much on having a large amount of infantry themselves.

So it can work, but like any non conconventional stratagy, it can be exploited.
20 Mar 2020, 09:11 AM

I use this strat (pio blob means two sguads in my terms) Only on La Gleize with flame upgrade when I am situated more to mid an I know i will have to face maxims, vickers and so on (+you support your flank with opel - work very well against balanced PAKs howi because you can rush stuka to counter them and have your own "ambu" at the same time ... I dont see any point to use this strat in another situation on top level ...
20 Mar 2020, 10:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Mar 2020, 16:00 PMCptOps
Now that I think about it I could see why some player just use Sturm Pioneer as their mainline, there is nothing they don't do
Healing unit
Assaulting unit
Repair unit
AT unit
Field crafting unit
Obstacle building unit
Obstacle clearing unit
OKW had the best units to start off with. And I might even consider just spamming them as core unit :)

You could try spamming them as a core unit, but the manpower bleed will kill you against a competent opponent.

They're good units, but they're not worth 300 MP in a pure combat role.
21 Mar 2020, 00:26 AM

Most versatile? Yes; Best? Nah.
21 Mar 2020, 05:16 AM

As a noob sturms seems scary, but even i agree only sturm pio's is easy to deal with.
26 Mar 2020, 01:10 AM

26 Mar 2020, 03:09 AM

They are the best engineer unit in the game, there's no doubt about that
10 Apr 2020, 16:23 PM

3 sturm pios flanking a position = goood
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %