Login

russian armor

Coh 2 game director Quinn Duffy left relic

• This thread is locked
PAGES (4)down
18 Dec 2021, 21:47 PM

Very sad news, one of coh dads Quinn Duffy officially left relic after nearly 24 years of work at studio.
He was responsible for that iconic coh gameplay as gameplay lead on coh 1, and successfully improve many aspects in coh 2 as game director.

Now I'm pretty pessimistic about coh future.:(
Anyway, good luck to him, thank him for all wonderful job that he did to coh, without him coh won't be what we know now.
19 Dec 2021, 05:34 AM

Well mixed feelings. When veterans leave studios it's always bad, especially against the background of the gaming industry in which veterans leave and their studios stop making good games (Blizzard, DICE, etc.)
On the other hand, I remember the statements that the single player campaign will be historical about how Quinn Duffy went to St. Petersburg in order to emphasize the historical details and as a result, the single player campaign of Company of Heroes 2 stood on a pedestal in the ranks with such titans disgusting stereotypical, deceitful propaganda like Enemy at the Gate and K-19.
19 Dec 2021, 12:43 PM

Duffy was in a hurry and got dropped :(
19 Dec 2021, 16:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2021, 21:47 PMValeran

Now I'm pretty pessimistic about coh future.:(

Do not quote me on this but I'm fairly sure Quinn was not involved in CoH3 at all
19 Dec 2021, 20:03 PM

"Quinn was not involved in CoH3 at all" - Aerafield

Do we have any confirmation Duffy is leaving Relic/Sega? It says he is switching roles in the picture. Sounds like a promotion within the org itself.

From what AE has stated, Quinn Duffy made Angoville so he is already at legendary status. He is also the only name I have ever heard mentioned from Relic about Coh/Coh2. So him leaving Relic would not be a good thing.

However, I badly recall a YouTube video where he was touting mortars in Coh as being a good thing. So maybe him leaving would not be so bad.

"I have been saying since I started playing vCoh that someone high up at Relic is a moron because of the horrible bugs/decisions I see in an otherwise amazing game. It looks to me like very obvious things were left in the game because people were afraid to point out the problem to their boss." - Rosbone

Pip
19 Dec 2021, 20:12 PM

What things in CoH2 was he responsible for, exactly?
20 Dec 2021, 08:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2021, 20:03 PMRosbone

Do we have any confirmation Duffy is leaving Relic/Sega? It says he is switching roles in the picture. Sounds like a promotion within the org itself.

Yes
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe4/comments/rjnbex/age_of_empires_iv_design_director_leaves_relic/hp50hoe?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

While we're sad to see him go, we're excited to see what he's up to next. He's one of the last few "original" Relicans left at Relic who had their start with Homeworld, and he's spent all that time since being a major force on games like *COH* 1&2, and of course being the Game Director for *AoE IV*.

When you've spent as much time as you have with one company (24 years!!), especially with the launch of a multi-year project that *Age of Empires IV* is, it was not necessarily a surprise that Quinn has decided to take a step away from Relic (but trust me, it was also a huge shock to see him announce that this month was his last at Relic 🥲).

We wouldn't have been able to make this game what it is without his vision, expertise, experience, and especially his love for history. His mentorship and guidance has always been great to have, and we'll miss him (especially for someone new to game dev like me - Quinn was amazing to work with and to hear stories from, especially in our first trip to Cologne for Gamescom 2017 where we got to announce *Age IV*).
20 Dec 2021, 10:51 AM

pre-order on hold

this is worrying.

coh3 alpha was lacking innovation to its core mechanics.

no additions. no improved maths AI/physics models

just staying safe with existing designs with role swaps here and there.

sadly this is the end of RTS genre i love for the same 24 years.

Where is the break through to match the computational powers we have today
20 Dec 2021, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2021, 10:51 AMmrgame2
pre-order on hold

this is worrying.

I feel you there. We have amazing CPUs and GPUs but no artists to make those tools shine.

Remember AOE2? The game that ran on like 8mb of RAM and a 255MHz CPU? Ye that game made us feel like fucking kings and titans due to how well designed it was. Or C&C? Or Sims?

We missed school to play those games and when they could not run we could not wait to grow up and build our own pc to run them. Now we grew up, but the games are not there. The vision is not there.

Fuck COH3, I want RTSes back in general ;-;
21 Dec 2021, 06:04 AM

Cruzz would be celebrating this historic moment
21 Dec 2021, 07:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2021, 06:04 AMVonIvan
Cruzz would be celebrating this historic moment
Not alone. As game director he failed the game.
21 Dec 2021, 21:55 PM

pre-order on hold

this is worrying.

Don't pre-order, bro.

24 Dec 2021, 16:13 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2021, 20:03 PMRosbone
"Quinn was not involved in CoH3 at all" - Aerafield

From what AE has stated, Quinn Duffy made Angoville so he is already at legendary status. He is also the only name I have ever heard mentioned from Relic about Coh/Coh2. So him leaving Relic would not be a good thing.

However, I badly recall a YouTube video where he was touting mortars in Coh as being a good thing. So maybe him leaving would not be so bad.

"I have been saying since I started playing vCoh that someone high up at Relic is a moron because of the horrible bugs/decisions I see in an otherwise amazing game. It looks to me like very obvious things were left in the game because people were afraid to point out the problem to their boss." - Rosbone

I believe they were also one of the sole reasons that Brits were designed the way they were in vcoh and coh2, but I could be wrong. I remember a lot of blame going there way though back in the day.
Pip
24 Dec 2021, 16:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2021, 16:13 PMTric

I believe they were also one of the sole reasons that Brits were designed the way they were in vcoh and coh2, but I could be wrong. I remember a lot of blame going there way though back in the day.

I suppose this is it, really. We don't know /exactly/ what Duffy was responsible for in CoH1 or 2, so it's rather hard to say whether his departure is a positive or a negative. I don't think there's any real reason to get all "doom and gloom" about this announcement; Let's see how CoH3 looks on release first.
24 Dec 2021, 17:47 PM

pre-order on hold

this is worrying.

Physic are improved
Existing designs are solid and people want them
the computational power stuff you say is because of people playing mobile games and not RTS.

instead of crying here convice some people to play RTS
24 Dec 2021, 18:53 PM

Fact is that Duffy was a project lead in CoH2. Even if we ignore bad decisions\designs fact is that people who was responsable for balance\updates\commander ideas didnt give a single fuck about community and players.

Things were released to either provide scammy p2w model (which always ended up being nerfed) or with a complete lack of even basic game understanding.

On top of that, balance related people openly trolling players and the community with their changes, intentionally ignoring problems either completly (2 model soviet sniper) or untill the moment 90% of the community spammed about why it wasnt adressed already.

And ofcouse aproach of "we are devs, we know better" even in their betas\alphas, which honestly were so strange, because only super minor things were adressed on release of WFA\UKF and even obliviosly broken stuff was left in the game, while on closed forums people again pointed those problems.

Maybe Duffy was a weak teamlead and trusted people under him a bit too much or he was too passive. But the fact is, that under him CoH2 dedicated team acted like a bunch of douchebags and time has proven that they were wrong in the end.

But it might aswell have been relic philosophy back in the day. At least their "we know better" attetude ended shorty after they were slapped in the face with the failure which was DoW3.

And honestly if CoH didnt have such dedicated community, CoH2 might have been as dead as DoW3.
24 Dec 2021, 20:18 PM

Any other RTS feels like units' mess since you witness CoH. This game has its downsides, but overall gameplay idea is perfect.
24 Dec 2021, 22:51 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Happy that Quinn left Relic; he either doesn't take criticism or downplays it. I still remember when people were trying to warn him about historical concerns and offensive racist stereotypes in the SP campaign is but he just shrugged it off and said that's the story they wanted to tell, so that's the way it'll be.

Hopefully with him gone we won't see another blantantly politicized game.
25 Dec 2021, 00:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2021, 22:51 PMKasarov
Happy that Quinn left Relic; he either doesn't take criticism or downplays it. I still remember when people were trying to warn him about historical concerns and offensive racist stereotypes in the SP campaign is but he just shrugged it off and said that's the story they wanted to tell, so that's the way it'll be.

Hopefully with him gone we won't see another blantantly politicized game.

Telling the truth about totalitarian mass murderer regimes is not racism.
25 Dec 2021, 04:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Telling the truth about totalitarian mass murderer regimes is not racism.

It does not belong in Company of Heroes. The first installment spoke nothing of the regimes involved, only the courage of the soldiers who offered up their blood, sweat, and tears.

May I add that politics do not belong on CoH2.org either.
PAGES (4)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS