Login

russian armor

People thought relic was going to close down 2018

13 Dec 2021, 00:38 AM
Donator 11

Post about glassdoor rumors that Relic was 1 game away from shutting down

After the DoW 3 failure, Relic had a glassdoor review from an employee stating the studio was 1 game away from shutting down down. Also comments on the thread saying if AoE 4 fails then the studio fails.

However, we see that Relic in late 2021 is in a good position with the massive success of AoE 4. Looking at current estimate copies sold on Steam, AoE 4 has made millions for Relic, SEGA, and Microsoft. According to steamspy, there's 1-2M owners of AoE 4 on Steam (excluding other platforms). So we're looking at $60-120M revenue from the game, a good chunk of it goes to MS and Valve though.

Converting the tough but loyal AoE 2 community to AoE 4 is huge for Relic, and for CoH 3
13 Dec 2021, 07:59 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I'm glad AOE4 sold a lot and that it's well-received but that doesn't necessarily mean it was successful. It's pretty clear the budget was enormous, even the marketing budget alone was clearly huge. So it's hard to say if it was a financial success or not because game budgets aren't public.
13 Dec 2021, 08:31 AM

lets hope that they will be able to make the game we all gonna love and cherish 🙏
13 Dec 2021, 08:51 AM

I'm glad AOE4 sold a lot and that it's well-received but that doesn't necessarily mean it was successful. It's pretty clear the budget was enormous, even the marketing budget alone was clearly huge. So it's hard to say if it was a financial success or not because game budgets aren't public.

Its a sign of relics success tho

the fact that microsoft gave it to them to begin with is enough to laugh at rumors of them shuttin down
13 Dec 2021, 13:17 PM

I completely agree with OP.

Converting AoEII fans to AoEIV was a huge achievement and showed that Relic can still give to RTS.

I trully trully wish that this treatment is reserved for COH3. WW2 is a huge genre, and few RTS ever got it right.

COH for me got it the best.
13 Dec 2021, 15:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I completely agree with OP.

Converting AoEII fans to AoEIV was a huge achievement and showed that Relic can still give to RTS.

I trully trully wish that this treatment is reserved for COH3. WW2 is a huge genre, and few RTS ever got it right.

COH for me got it the best.

They didn't really convert the AoE2 base though. The DE version has only slightly decreasing player numbers. It does not explain where those ~20k AoE4 players come from. These must, for the most part, be players that are either new to AoE or older gamers that decided to pick the game up.

I think CoH2 will remain after CoH3 is released. I think the Mediterranean theatre is interesting, but probably not as widely known as the western and especially eastern front.
CoH3 however has quite an advantage over AoE4 though. AoE4 had to somehow outperform a VERY highly acclaimed and polished AoE2. CoH3 on the other hand has to outperform "only" CoH2, which still lacks a lot of features and fixes.
That's were CoH3 can really shine. I hope Relic realizes that.
13 Dec 2021, 16:20 PM

They didn't really convert the AoE2 base though. The DE version has only slightly decreasing player numbers. It does not explain where those ~20k AoE4 players come from. These must, for the most part, be players that are either new to AoE or older gamers that decided to pick the game up.

-Maybe you are right, I don't know. I haven't touched AOE in years due to being very disappointed by the remasters.

I think CoH2 will remain after CoH3 is released.

-I sure hope not.

I think the Mediterranean theatre is interesting, but probably not as widely known as the western and especially eastern front.
CoH3 however has quite an advantage over AoE4 though. AoE4 had to somehow outperform a VERY highly acclaimed and polished AoE2. CoH3 on the other hand has to outperform "only" CoH2, which still lacks a lot of features and fixes.

-Very true. COH2 to me is very dear but lacks a lot of fundamental stuff. It's primarily due to love by its fans that it still gets played.
13 Dec 2021, 17:04 PM

CoH3 on the other hand has to outperform "only" CoH2, which still lacks a lot of features and fixes.

Word. We all love COH2 but it's not a terribly high bar for COH3 to improve upon. Heck, better designed factions with full unit rosters and a better non-doctrinal unit system alone is probably enough to put COH3 > COH2
13 Dec 2021, 17:07 PM

lol, just having 3 differing factions with the same basic tools (MG, AT, Snares, Anti-garrison) is enough to make the best COH game ever.
13 Dec 2021, 17:12 PM

COH2 was never finished (not Relic's fault) and since they (presumably) learned from the DOW III arrogance, things are looking in the right direction. I'm still ambivalent on COH3 but we're still in the pre-alpha.
13 Dec 2021, 21:16 PM

The only thing CoH3 is bringing to the table right now is QoL improvements. In every other aspect CoH2 is superior.

Best case scenario right now is it takes the CoH2 path and slowly turns itself into something decent in 5 years.
13 Dec 2021, 21:27 PM

The only thing CoH3 is bringing to the table right now is QoL improvements. In every other aspect CoH2 is superior.

Best case scenario right now is it takes the CoH2 path and slowly turns itself into something decent in 5 years.

Where exactly is CoH3 inferior to CoH2 in an area that cannot be explained with CoH3 being in super early pre-alpha stage? I would like to know

The only thing I can come up with right now is moving a step backwards with the current implementation of the call-in tank shit
13 Dec 2021, 21:31 PM

Where exactly is CoH3 inferior to CoH2 in an area that cannot be explained with CoH3 being in super early pre-alpha stage? I would like to know

The only thing I can come up with right now is moving a step backwards with the current implementation of the call-in tank shit

Well for starters we need to quit pretending its pre-alpha. The game is less than a year from launch. It should have already (or more likely already has) started beta.

What you see now is going to be very close to the final product. (especially since we have been getting updates for 6 months and nothing of note has changed in any of the reveals)
13 Dec 2021, 21:39 PM

Well for starters we need to quit pretending its pre-alpha. The game is less than a year from launch. It should have already (or more likely already has) started beta.

What you see now is going to be very close to the final product. (especially since we have been getting updates for 6 months and nothing of note has changed in any of the reveals)

What you are saying here seems like complete assuming based on 0 sources? Apparently there is a rule now saying "software that is 1 year away from launch must be in beta state"
Who said we are less than a year away from launch btw? The game is *planned* to go live in "late 2022", there is no official release date and the launch could easily be postponed to 2023.

And nothing has really changed since the SP test in July? Are you sure we were playing the same build?
13 Dec 2021, 22:16 PM

The game is *planned* to go live in "late 2022", there is no official release date and the launch could easily be postponed to 2023.

Right so less than year from launch unless they postpone it...which the company can't afford to do...so its launching on time regardless of what state its in.

Apparently there is a rule now saying "software that is 1 year away from launch must be in beta state"

Tell me what other game was in 'pre alpha' state less than a year from launch? Tell me what decent game you played that had less than 6 months of beta testing? Tell me what game successfully went from pre-alpha to full on beta in 6 months? Cause I sure as hell can't think of any. This is going to be a shitshow.

And nothing has really changed since the SP test in July? Are you sure we were playing the same build?

Well lets see. The factions are still the same set of units in SP and the faction previews despite being heavily homogonized. The factions themselves still have no faction specific mechanics. The gameplay itself is still an attempt to copy CoH1 despite CoH2 having 4x the playerbase. They have shown no new ideas that weren't present in the previous two games outside of breach, which they are touting as being a gamechanging mechanic despite it being little more than a simple unit mechanic. Literally the only new concept is moving the Campaign into a Total War style system, which itself is a copy of the Rome: Total War campaign.

Changing some unit stats around isn't what I would consider major progress toward designing a good game when the game has so many deeper problems.

I'm increasingly convinced the game is nothing more than a quick, soulless cash grab. Its only chance for longevity will depend on how easy it is to mod.
13 Dec 2021, 22:47 PM

which the company can't afford to do...so its launching on time regardless of what state its in.

Why?

Tell me what other game was in 'pre alpha' state less than a year from launch? Tell me what decent game you played that had less than 6 months of beta testing? Tell me what game successfully went from pre-alpha to full on beta in 6 months? Cause I sure as hell can't think of any.

Actually I don't remember a single triple A company game where the public has been able to play-test over a year before launch. Do you know one? Because I'm genuinely curious. The CoH2 Alpha launched in early 2013, a couple of months before release if I'm not mistaken. And looked totally different (and worse) than the release version of June 2013.

Well lets see. The factions are still the same set of units in SP and the faction previews despite being heavily homogonized. The factions themselves still have no faction specific mechanics. The gameplay itself is still an attempt to copy CoH1 despite CoH2 having 4x the playerbase. They have shown no new ideas that weren't present in the previous two games outside of breach, which they are touting as being a gamechanging mechanic despite it being little more than a simple unit mechanic. Literally the only new concept is moving the Campaign into a Total War style system, which itself is a copy of the Rome: Total War campaign.

Changing some unit stats around isn't what I would consider major progress toward designing a good game when the game has so many deeper problems.

I'm increasingly convinced the game is nothing more than a quick, soulless cash grab. Its only chance for longevity will depend on how easy it is to mod.

I get what you mean but we will see. I think the CoH1 US vs Wehrmacht matchup was always extremely popular in the CoH fanbase and personally I think this even improved in CoH3. Not to mention that I am pretty sure that more factions will come as well

13 Dec 2021, 23:24 PM

DoW3 was well made game, but it didn't target DoW playerbase, it was a good RTS, just not a good DoW. Given their track record in the industry, one would have to be really salty to proclaim they were anywhere close to closure.

Wake up call? Sure, that is what DoW3 was, making them realize that players are rather important thing to take into account when making a game.
14 Dec 2021, 00:04 AM

Just look at the MASSIVE improvement from SP alpha to MP alpha to see what's possible in a few months.
14 Dec 2021, 03:56 AM

I think IntoTheRains basing his statements on the public Relic we see where it takes 6 months to put together a map patch. Something any one of us could do in 2-3 days tops. Lets hope that is because a patch is low priority and the guys/gals have their heads down and getting to it now.

I almost made a working 1v1 Coh style game in a month by myself in my spare time. So we should see some massive changes pretty quick.
14 Dec 2021, 04:59 AM

I think CoH2 will remain after CoH3 is released. I think the Mediterranean theatre is interesting, but probably not as widely known as the western and especially eastern front.

OUCH! This wasn't aimed at me but it felt like it was. I hadn't played AOE in so long that I can't remember if it was AOE or AOE2. AOE4 is a good game. I'm a lot happier with it than the vintage games that Blizzard has been remaking.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★