Login

russian armor

CoH3 File digging

Pip
14 Jul 2021, 17:40 PM

There's three men pioneers and scouts

Yeah, i saw that Pathfinders are three men, I didnt realise that Pioneers were as well.

I'm not sure why they're experimenting with squad sizes lower than 4 again, honestly. It only makes sense on units that /absolutely/ should not be fighting, such as the Major.
14 Jul 2021, 17:40 PM
Senior Editor Badge

14 Jul 2021, 17:52 PM

Updated german units a bit.

Nope. Its impossible to open them right now (at least without modifying them, which I dont know how, and it might not be even possible).

I used hex to extract contents from them.

Ah, because I remember people putting in CoH models in CoH2 before they disabled that and implemented the official modding tools.

Thanks either way for the info.
15 Jul 2021, 22:15 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Updated german units a bit.

Nope. Its impossible to open them right now (at least without modifying them, which I dont know how, and it might not be even possible).

I used hex to extract contents from them.

https://janne252.dev/content/2021/coh3-pre-alpha-extract-sga 🤓
16 Jul 2021, 00:09 AM

https://janne252.dev/content/2021/coh3-pre-alpha-extract-sga 🤓

Dig in lads, dig in ukfukf

So I was browsing files, and pretty much its confirmed that the Afrika Korps is its own army. There are so much references to it being its own factions, along side standart german faction.

Aswell as it pretty much confirmed that there will be campaing in Afrika involving afrika korps.
16 Jul 2021, 01:33 AM

Dig in lads, dig in ukfukf

So I was browsing files, and pretty much its confirmed that the Afrika Korps is its own army. There are so much references to it being its own factions, along side standart german faction.

Aswell as it pretty much confirmed that there will be campaing in Afrika involving afrika korps.

Anything on Italia? I see very few mentions of them in your post, mostly regarding artillery or partisans, but combat engineers are in there too.
16 Jul 2021, 02:56 AM

Anything on Italia? I see very few mentions of them in your post, mostly regarding artillery or partisans, but combat engineers are in there too.

Well it's pretty much confirmed that Italians won't have their own faction (at least on release) and in game files right now contrain very little information about them, but a few units for axis/allied side and partisans.

They are either not ready and yet not in the files or they are most likely will play major part in a DAK faction and not the Wehrmacht we have in alpha right now. Since there are mostly only text conformation that DAK is the fourth faction and almost no files related this could explain the lack of the Italians right now.
16 Jul 2021, 06:09 AM

Well it's pretty much confirmed that Italians won't have their own faction (at least on release) and in game files right now contrain very little information about them, but a few units for axis/allied side and partisans.

They are either not ready and yet not in the files or they are most likely will play major part in a DAK faction and not the Wehrmacht we have in alpha right now. Since there are mostly only text conformation that DAK is the fourth faction and almost no files related this could explain the lack of the Italians right now.

There are a couple of Italian infantry units, a couple of vehicles from what I'm seeing and an Italian howitzer as well in the sbps for the Germans -

16 Jul 2021, 13:43 PM

So the semovente (stug clone)
Italian paratrooper soldiers
The L6/40 tank and a flame variant. Interesting Italian stuff.

Also differing upgrade paths for commanders? Coh1 style maybe?

Looks interesting thanks gachi.
16 Jul 2021, 15:00 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thx for doing this work!
16 Jul 2021, 19:08 PM

So few files I've found regarding Italians:

Inf units which are refereced
Bersaglieri
Coastal_reserves (probably from german coastal commander), new osttropens? :D
Folgore
Guastatori

Tanks
l6/40 standart and flame variants

Weapons:
Beretta m1938 smg
Breda m1930 LMG
Cannone da 105
carcano m1891
flames for Guastatori
l type AT grende
Oto mod 35 grenade

Everything right now pointing out that indeed we will see the most of the Italian army\units in the DAK faction, since most of them right now are afrika orientated.
16 Jul 2021, 19:41 PM

Also fun fact. It seems like Wehrmact will benifit from the battlegroup chosen in a different fashion.

UK forces right now, seems to have standart veterancy bonuses and abilities like we saw in coh2.
US on the other hand can chose what ability they want to unlock for veterancy for each squad.

But Wehrmacht seems to have a whole different system where veterancy bonuses for your units or regular abilities depens on the commander you've chosen. For instance defensive commander unlocks flares for Jaegers squad, spec ops unlocks camo in cover for jaegers and so on. Aswell as other abilities which affects a lot of faction units.

Also germans have system called "field commanders" which goes alongside battlegroups. If this isnt a leftover un-used code, then german faction might aswell have some sort of an global upgrade you have to chose with the battlegroup.
16 Jul 2021, 19:44 PM

Also fun fact. It seems like Wehrmact will benifit from the battlegroup chosen in a different fashion.

UK forces right now, seems to have standart veterancy bonuses and abilities like we saw in coh2.
US on the other hand can chose what ability they want to unlock for veterancy for each squad.

But Wehrmacht seems to have a whole different system where veterancy bonuses for your units or regular abilities depens on the commander you've chosen. For instance defensive commander unlocks flares for Jaegers squad, spec ops unlocks camo in cover for jaegers and so on. Aswell as other abilities which affects a lot of faction units.

You seem to be correct. People have access the German Faction to see how it functions, and it seems to be the case Seen in this video
17 Jul 2021, 03:08 AM

So the second Axis faction is going to be German faction with few crappy italians tossed in, instead of a complete Italian army. Talk about wasted potential, this is pretty much Osttruppen 2.0, instead getting of Hungarians, Romanians and Spainards we got Soviet POWs fighting for the Germans.

Also thx for digging the files up guys
17 Jul 2021, 05:10 AM

Yeah I gotta say it's really disheartening to see ~LATE-WAR GERMANS~ for the 6th and 7th time in a row. It's Italy and Africa, can we please have 1943 and some Italian forces?
17 Jul 2021, 11:17 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Yeah I gotta say it's really disheartening to see ~LATE-WAR GERMANS~ for the 6th and 7th time in a row. It's Italy and Africa, can we please have 1943 and some Italian forces?

Basing on @GachiGasm research/file digging there are already some hints for itlian content.
- Bersaglieri: With the Bersaglieri u have the italian "Panzergrenadiers".
- Guastatori: They were the elite assault pioneers of the italian army. They have "invented" the bangalore mines. They were inspired by the german assault pioneer units.
- Folgore: An italian airborne division. Never dropped into combat by air. Famous for their performance during the El Alamein battles.

- L6/40: Italian light tank. As far as i know not used after the armistice by Italy (As far as i know the RSI armored group Leonessa dont had any L6/40). Most of the L6/40 were used by the Wehrmacht at the Balkans (and Normandy?) by the armored police companies. A small number of L6/40 were used by the Panzer-Ausbildungs-Abteilung Süd, a german training unit to prepare new tank soldiers for the italian battlesfields. Perhaps they were used on Sicily by italian mobile groups.
- Semovente 75/18: The italian StuG III. Used by the italian armored divisions until the armistice. After the armistice Semovente 75/18 was used by the german Infantry Divisions in Italy for the organic StuG-units (By KstN any Infantry division should have access to some sort of mobile AT/AI. Some local Semovente were put in use by the german forces in Italy.).

- Cannone da 105: The italian army had a number of 105mm guns. One candidate is the former french Cannone da 105/28. Another one is the Cannone da 105/32, a former astro-hungarian ww1 gun. The last candidate is the german LeFh 18 that was used in small numbers by italian units. SO we will need a picture of the gun to verify the gun.
- Obice da 210: The Obice da 210/22 was a heavy italian artillery gun. Produced in small numbers it was used after the armistice by german Artillerie-Abteilungen (artillery units on corps level).

Likely:
- "Coastal_reserves": Perhaps this are second line italian soldiers from the "coastal defense divisions" of the italian army. They were formed from fascist militia, Carabinieri police and second line rated soldiers. As far as i know they had a bad reputation. The formations disintegrated when they were send into any form of combat.
- "Other Semoventes": With the Semovente 75/18 Relic could add some of the versions of the Semovente. With the Semovente 75/32 and 75/46 u have potent tank destroyers. With the 105/25 u have a great StuH. The 105/25 was liked by the german assault gun soldiers and the germans tried to produce as many 105/25 as possible for the german units in Italy.

Missing:
This are units i think we could see because they were "iconic" for an Italian army or they were important for the italian army:
- Aplini: The Alpini mountain infantry was the elite of the elite. They were some of the best mountain infantry during ww2. So it is no surprise that the last RSI offensive in Italy was done by the RSI Alpini division (Battle of Garfagnana - the italian Battle of the Bulge - 4ª Divisione alpina "Monterosa"). I would think that we could see the Alpini on the axis side because basing on the data mining we have some sort of confirmation for german "Gebirgsjäger" soldiers. So why not addin the italian elite?
- M13/40 - M14/41 - M15/42: THE italian MBT of ww2. Old design, potent against british Cruiser design tanks but weak against Shermans and/or other heavy tanks. With the Semovente Relic had already a M13 chassis so they could add the italian MBTs with a lit more work. They would be a sweet addition for the African Campaign and in MP games they could work as an early tank unit.
- Semovente da 90/53: The italian Marder III. Glass canon tank. The italian 90mm AA was the bigger brother of the german 88. Potent gun and liked by italians and germans. Was used on Sicily.
- P26/40 tank: Perhaps the best italian tank design of WW2. It is some kind of italian Panzer IV. Wehrmacht planned to change the engine to a Panzer III engine and keep the tank in production but only the italian Diesel vehicles were finished until the end of the war. It was used in small numbers by the RSI armored unit Leonessa. Most of the P26/40 were used by the Wehrmacht. The 24. SS-Division 'Karstjäger' had the biggest P26/40 unit with 20~22 tanks. Some P26/40 were used by armored police companys on the Balkans.
Rumors are talking about P26/40 at Anzio but i cant conform any P26/40 here.

So at the moment we have some clues for the italian faction/italian part of the CoH 32 armies.
17 Jul 2021, 11:25 AM

It is worth waiting for such units as P26/40, M15/42, Semovente da 105/25, Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 75/34, Autoblinda 43, Semovente da 90/53.
17 Jul 2021, 11:28 AM

Technically they are the 1943 Germany Army for the Wehrmacht and 1942 German Army for the DAK.

Late war would mean stuff like the King Tiger, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger and other 1944 equipment.

And they don't even have the Elefant which as everybody that has read about the vehicle knows that at least 1 of 2 the battalions that was equipped with them were sent back to Germany after Kursk to be refurbished and then sent to to the Southern Front and by that I mean Sicily/Italy, only around 2 Battalions of Tigers made it to Africa and they were the heaviest German tanks there or in general really, Allies didn't have anything that can stand toe to toe with them and they all feared the Flak 88.

I remember in one documentary where some British tankers were interviewed that were in Matildas and they thought they were invincible because they were one of the most heavily armored tanks around at that time, but as with France the 88s really took the crown away from the Queen of the Desert.

But anyway I think Africa is going to be more interesting because of the terrain and tech being used there. They didn't really dig trenches and so forth from what I know, mostly had strongpoints on both sides so it's going to be more mobile warfare and a bigger reliance on vehicles, especially tanks.

And hell maybe even lighter tanks will actually be good and serve a purpose even in the later parts of matches now as opposed to being obsolete once the medium boys are on the field.
17 Jul 2021, 18:25 PM

The main reason I still think that the in game Wehrmacht is a mix of DAK and Wehrmacht assets is (other than 4 combat infantry squads for a single faction) the Marder 3 being there despite being logically the only tank destroyer option in the game files that could fit the DAK, while the Nashorn was only used in Italy and is not present in the current build
Pip
17 Jul 2021, 18:32 PM

The main reason I still think that the in game Wehrmacht is a mix of DAK and Wehrmacht assets is (other than 4 combat infantry squads for a single faction) the Marder 3 being there despite being logically the only tank destroyer option in the game files that could fit the DAK, while the Nashorn was only used in Italy and is not present in the current build

The game files don't /necessarily/ contain everything that will ultimately be in the game upon release, though... it is a year or more away, after all.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS