Login

russian armor

Your favorite Elite Infantry and Why?

23 Jun 2021, 15:17 PM

I am seeing a lot of bickering and wanted to go for something more light hearted. This is not about balance just which is your favorite and why/how you use them?

For me:
1. LMG Paras- Place them behind green cover get vet to improve rec acc and watch them melt opposing infantry. Less micro then zooks or thompson which frees me up for tanks or flanks with Rifles.

2. Panzer Grenadier - I dont play Axis much but I love to rush these using an Ass build, they have a hard hitting grenade and most units cannot withstand the early power spike. Some commanders provide utility or change in weapons if that is what you want.

3. Airbourne Guards - I think this is where most will have an issue. I love that I can pop out of a building and surprise unsuspecting units. I like to go for SMG and hide to get cover/cloak bonus could be even better if it had a hold fire toggle so I could wait for MG to set up or unit to get close to drop as many models as possible. Vet 2 healing is unique compared to other guards which let it stay a nuisance.
23 Jun 2021, 17:30 PM

Old school Jesus Troops hands down. If you don´t charge them down the middle, but wait for the right moment and sneak into enemy lines, they are unstoppable. Conscripts do the dying, Jesus Troops do the killing.

Also about Airborne Guards, I´m pretty sure they do actually have hold fire after the upgrade.
23 Jun 2021, 18:16 PM

LMG Obers for all round killing and staying power. Come later than any other infantry but vetted up they’re nigh unstoppable by infantry without bleeding yourself whiter than snow. Allied inf models seem to drop at the mere sight of them sometimes. Excellent for standing up to LMG blobs with vet. Toxic smoke grenade for any brave gap closing squads and a free gift basket for everyone else. Only really matched by LMG Paras (and maybe exceeded) but Airborne is a weak late game doc. Vet IV suppressing fire and vet V sprints are the thick icing on the cake for me :D
23 Jun 2021, 18:43 PM

Shocks or PGrens for me

Shocks because of their ability to survive certain engagements that no other squad can

With Pgrens I like their weapon profile/effective range. I also enjoy getting ambush camo on them. And I like their dialogue
"You do something long enough you get good at it"
23 Jun 2021, 18:46 PM

LMG Obers for all round killing and staying power. Come later than any other infantry but vetted up they’re nigh unstoppable by infantry without bleeding yourself whiter than snow. Allied inf models seem to drop at the mere sight of them sometimes. Excellent for standing up to LMG blobs with vet. Toxic smoke grenade for any brave gap closing squads and a free gift basket for everyone else. Only really matched by LMG Paras (and maybe exceeded) but Airborne is a weak late game doc. Vet IV suppressing fire and vet V sprints are the thick icing on the cake for me :D

I like them just feel they take to long to hit their stride. They are my number 5, Falls are 4. They are good just years of nerfs made them no longer batshit OP with snare and AI. Before the tech rework I used to got battle and mechanized and get a JP4 for antitank. It used to be so broken

Gonna check airborne later to see didn't see it in the normal spot.
23 Jun 2021, 18:57 PM

Probably Commandos followed by regulars Guards.

Camo on Commandos make them ultra flexible and deadly with ambushes. Even more so when the map is nothing but moon craters. Additional goodies like access to elite Brens, smoke nades, and smoke on retreat just put them over the top.

Regular Guards are just great generalists. PTRS lets you have flexible AT against LVs and button can seal tank kills for you or ruin tank dives against you. Their combat power is also steady and they make good replacements for late game squad replacements.
23 Jun 2021, 20:33 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Stormtroopers, second place commandos.

I just love camo units and that quick close burst DPS if you manage to pull off the ambush. Great feeling, way better than any direct fire elite unit in the game.
Especially Stormtroopers with their tactical advance: High risk, high reward. Great units overall and well balanced too.
23 Jun 2021, 22:13 PM

I like them just feel they take to long to hit their stride.

You're not wrong, the vetting takes a little while and plenty of opportunity to be stopped. They're better than Falls overall except for close range fights and scale harder, giving that sweet rolling over enemy inf at vet II+. But that's a balanced unit for you.
23 Jun 2021, 22:39 PM

Old school Jesus Troops hands down. If you don´t charge them down the middle, but wait for the right moment and sneak into enemy lines, they are unstoppable. Conscripts do the dying, Jesus Troops do the killing.

Also about Airborne Guards, I´m pretty sure they do actually have hold fire after the upgrade.

Yep, just checked it in a close game. Shout out to Zedor, game went to single digits for both of us. I found my new favorite Soviet commander, PPSH Penal to throw people offer the games and transition the others to AT while Airbourne Guards all go PPSH. That hold fire came in clutch, the AT strafe is crazy good when you get one in from the rear.
24 Jun 2021, 08:59 AM

Stormtroopers, especially with sprint in Encirclement Doctrine, it gives them so much more agility and allows them to cross greater distances unrevealed. I just love when I find unguarded weapon teams, pop tactical advance and watch the crews fall like flies. Or flanking a weakened squad on the frontline and ambushing them right before they were about to retreat, getting some easy wipes. Or just hunting down a sniper with style. And the best ofc, 'borrowing' some tanks from an USF opponent. :)

Commandos are a close second, throwing those cheeky grenades and setting up some nasty demo traps. Sometimes I put double piats on them and hunt some pwerfers and stukas or help finish off weakened tanks retreating from a fight.
26 Jun 2021, 20:12 PM

stock guards > airguards imo. Very versatile with vehicle crowd control.

shocks are too micro intensive to my liking, but otherwise a good squad CQC.

rangers are weird. Can be very baller with excellent RA, but still pretty micro intensive. Could become a 5 men shrek squad. With new m1s are very potent at holding green cover. Still not sure if BARs is a good upgrade for them. Come in a bundle with a panther with AOE of a heavy tank lol.

Airborne are top tier. The best long range squad in terms of DPS, super versatile. Always forget to use abilities with tommygun upgrade

Stormtroopers are not my cup of tea.

Panzer grenadiers and obers are exellent. Falls are good, but imo not worth building over obers after t4 instalment.

Commandos are S tier infantry. Double Bren A-move all day everyday lmao. Cheekiest bois in COH2.

Haven't had a lot of experience with assguards though.
26 Jun 2021, 20:44 PM

Obers are absolute best mainly because they are stock, and mow down any infantry with MG34 + vet2
PGrens 2nd best also mainly because they are stock and are excellent to charge at the enemy position with a bundle.
Rangers are my favourite, followed by Guards.
26 Jun 2021, 22:29 PM

1. Pgrens always found them pretty fun even before they got the buffs. Once they got the buffs I think they are one of the better "balanced" elite infantry in the game since they can preform super well if used correctly.

2. Pre nerf USF double m1919 rifles. Obscenely broken, while technically not an "elite" infantry squad, they preformed better than most elite infantry at the time.
27 Jun 2021, 01:44 AM

Shock Troops and Panzergrenadiers. I love their voice acting and attitudes. They show no fear, and express only annoyance or displeasure toward the enemy in combat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★