Login

russian armor

Fix the "Fuel Drop" ability of the Lend-Lease commander

13 Sep 2020, 22:20 PM

100 ammo for 30 fuel delivered by a "all or nothing" plane seems a bit lackluster to me.

My problem with this ability is not really its cost, or the amount of fuel you get, but rather that it is delivered by a single plane, which makes it a "All or nothing" ability. A single 222 and you could get nothing for your 100 ammo.

My proposal would be to change this ability, so that the fuel is deliverd by two planes. Increasing the survivability. So change it to two planes and reduce the fuel crates to two , but increase the amount of fuel per crate to 15
13 Sep 2020, 22:27 PM

No, this ability is supposed to be a risky investment.

In fact they removed all mechanics that gave you ressources with 0 risk involved for that reason.

Back in the days the soviet plane came from your base side, meaning it couldnt get shot down. And the wehrmacht supply drop used to be "click this button and you get fuel or ammo immediately in 0 seconds."
13 Sep 2020, 22:50 PM

No, this ability is supposed to be a risky investment.

At this point it is more than risky in my opinion.

Also you would still have the risk. Just slightly less of it

In fact they removed all mechanics that gave you ressources with 0 risk involved for that reason.

OST fuel drop can be close to 0 risk on some maps ( Stadtschutt for instance )
13 Sep 2020, 23:19 PM

The problem with the design of this ability is that the risk increases exponentially the bigger the gamemode is. Which makes it bad design and difficult to balance. (Not saying it should be chained, just wanted to point out this issue)

It goes from wasteof ammo in 4vs4 and 3vs3 to risky in 2vs2 and free fuel in 1vs1
13 Sep 2020, 23:53 PM

Not as bad of a ability as Ostruppen Reserves or such variant.

Agree with other on here that ability needs to be revamped to partially refund manpower
14 Sep 2020, 02:38 AM

Not as bad of a ability as Ostruppen Reserves or such variant.

Agree with other on here that ability needs to be revamped to partially refund manpower

ostroppen reserves was a decent enough ability before they gutted it. turns out nerfing the ever loving fuck out of abilities that already rarely see use doesnt make them more attractive...

ostroppen reserves fills an interesting role that can actually be useful, adding cheap per man and durable squads (model count) is something that is definitely attractive for ost, but having to do 50 jumping jacks underwater on the international space station during a planetary alignment that has to fall on your 3rd wifes step sons 18 birthday is only marginally less restrictive than whats in place now.

the reasoning behind the gutting of osttruppen reserves was because taking losses was counter to the cores of the game (unit preservation) but i fail to see how just making those losses cheaper is much different aside from lacking any and all flavour while also providing something interesting to the faction.

more to the topic- the plane is pretty bad. ontop of ease to shoot it down, due to the flight path you may well be paying 100mu to torpedo your lines or base. id sooner the ability get removed and replaced with something that provides more interaction

Lend Lease it could be replaced with something more thematic- a crate of USF weapons (cons only have 1 slot and it locks out 7 man if they pick something up) or a WC51 perhaps (the m3a1 does exist, but can be missed due to teching) there is overlap here but the units are different enough it might be OK

industry could have some sort of improved caches- something similar exists in the AA campaign
or the ability for CE to "work" buildings and caches akin to the captain supervise but at a much lesser rate. this one is reminiscent of the original windustry design, trading manpower for faster vehicles and fuel, but by requiring an actual unit this introduces counterplay and micro as well as the ability to "turn it off"
14 Sep 2020, 08:37 AM

Actually Soviet full drop is 0 risk on some maps also since the flight path can make the plane come form outside the map.

When comparing the two abilities one has also to keep in mind that one is similar to cashes converting MP to resources while the other convert MU to fuel making it unique.
14 Sep 2020, 09:07 AM

The soviets have the unused Zis-6 transport truck. How about turning it into something similar to the ostheer opel blitz truck? (the one that can generate extra income). This would replace the fuel drop, slower income but safer. The twist is that it would still cost munitions to call in, maybe mixed with some manpower.
16 Sep 2020, 09:33 AM

Just swap it for the axis version where you have to call it on the fuel/muni point for MP.

Job done.
16 Sep 2020, 11:38 AM

That has more to do with map having bad resource point locations. Like lienne forest fuel point in front of base.
16 Sep 2020, 15:07 PM
Modmaker Badge

My proposal would be to change this ability, so that the fuel is deliverd by two planes. Increasing the survivability. So change it to two planes and reduce the fuel crates to two , but increase the amount of fuel per crate to 15

Why stop at two planes? :P

Jokes aside, I do think this ability is far less interactive than Ostheer's Supply Drop Zone and could use a small rework. In Drop Zone's case, both player have the incentive to fight over the point designated as the drop zone. It becomes a new objective on the map, which you can't just ignore. In case of Allied Supply Drop it's just binary "you get it or you don't if opponent has AA unit in the right spot".

One potential fix that was already proposed, was to have a dedicated "AA Mode" for all units that can shoot at planes, so Axis players would at least have to take a conscious action to shoot it down. It's a good start, but in my opinion something else could be done too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★