Login

russian armor

Dealing with Obers as SOV

23 Jun 2020, 15:30 PM

Having trouble lately with dealing with Obers spam in 2v2. I tried multiple mgs but they snipe the gunner in most cases, tried katy but comes down to scatter luck, tried gaurds and 7-men cons but they bleed so badly that i do not have MP for tanks, speaking of tanks - tried t34s but the Ober spam usually come with double raketens so...

Is there any sustainable and effective counter to them as SOV?

Cheers.
23 Jun 2020, 15:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2020, 15:30 PMVIGNASH
Having trouble lately with dealing with Obers spam in 2v2.
Cheers.

If he spams them get a Sniper and let the OKW bleed.
ISU with HE helps against any 4 man squads and with spotting it can deal with raketens.
23 Jun 2020, 15:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm neither a great player nor too familiar with this issue, but I think it comes down to Katy or T34 micro. If he has two Obers plus two Raketen plus probably a Sturmpio then there are only one or two Volks around, so less risk of snaring.

If you went for Penals, then a sniper could do the trick as well. The sniper is usually very good vs OKW anyway, since OKW lacks reliable counters. You just need to be really careful since they can burst it down quickly if you don't pay attention.
Shocks could also be a good point if you can lure him into mid to short range areas. This will force either an MG and thereby cause even less Volks to be on the field, or he needs to target your Shocks with a P4 to counter them and allocates a way more valuable unit to hunt down shocks
23 Jun 2020, 15:49 PM

I would also suggest more practice with the Katy, at the very least it'll force a retreat and at best end those super-super-super-glorious vet III+ Obers who would otherwise melt any infantry in your arsenal. The Katy is the closest thing to a reliable counter in the Allied arsenal for the reasons you've mentioned already.

I do not recommend Snipers as an LMG Ober can vaporise the model in 1 salvo.

Do NOT try to counter the deadliest AI inf squad in the game with inf, it's just going to bleed you to death in the long run. A good OKW player will bleed you from long range and counter dive attempts with a Blendkörper to really mess with you.

Source: Forum's resident Ober fan!

PS: Just press T if they're double LMG Obers.
23 Jun 2020, 16:20 PM

obers are overrated..
they are too expensive, come to late and vet too slowly. by the time the first ober squad hits the field, you should be prepared
23 Jun 2020, 16:57 PM

Soviets infantry does have a hard time against obers. Shocks though can be decent if you can isolate a single ober and charge it.
23 Jun 2020, 17:00 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2020, 16:57 PMSerrith
Soviets infantry does have a hard time against obers. Shocks though can be decent if you can isolate a single ober and charge it.

This ^ Shocks are probably your best bet in the infantry department. Otherwise use close range katys or armor.
23 Jun 2020, 18:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If he spams them get a Sniper and let the OKW bleed.
ISU with HE helps against any 4 man squads and with spotting it can deal with raketens.

I wouldn't recommend sniper in late game, specially against someone who is struggling with Obers in the first place.

It's far easier to counter soviet snipers with a Volks in the front and an Ober behind pushing than viceversa.

Katyusha > T70/Tanks > Grenades/mortar indirect fire > Shocks.
23 Jun 2020, 19:39 PM

Vehicles.
You won't be able to engage effectively with any infantry maybe with exception of para guards and NKVD commie.
23 Jun 2020, 19:43 PM

guards with DP-28s should do the trick.
23 Jun 2020, 21:46 PM

Honestly trying to get a Katyusha out asap can really help too if your ally can cover the shortfall or if you did well in the early game.

Getting it sooner helps to prevent the enemy infantry reaching 'critical mass' where it becomes a pain to deal with obers will melt your infantry faster than you can retreat and re-field them.

Mines and demo charges in the most random spots you can find works wonders as well and will help protect your Katyusha/deter a dive.
23 Jun 2020, 22:27 PM

I know it sounds cheasy, but shocks in a m3.
You will lose the m3, but your shocks will win the the day.
Just remember to get out before it dies.

23 Jun 2020, 22:29 PM

...Surprised 'bullying with the T-70' hasn't come up.

Obers have no AT, and T-70s are very good at chasing down infantry.
23 Jun 2020, 22:29 PM

Obers are so specialized to kill infantry that you need armor to counter them.

You should exploit the window of oportunity until their vet to deal as much damage as posible. Once they have lmgs they will just mow down you infantry like grass.

A T70 can work, as long as you learn to read when the oponent its overextending its obers as bait for him to set up his rakatenes and snuff out the light tank.

Explosive weapons in general are excelent against obers because their recieved accuracy can't mitigate it. 120mm mortars can score devastating hits against them but they are too unrealiable. The T34/85 is alse great but you will have to wait a bit more to get it.

If the enemy is blobbing too much just get a doctrine with IL2 loiters to break their assaults
24 Jun 2020, 05:33 AM

Only wehicles and luck mines/demos. Cons/penals dont have chance.
And taking doc for countering non doc units is a sign of weak mechanics of SU.
24 Jun 2020, 06:06 AM

Well, soviets lack high explosive damage on their base roster.
By high explosive I'm talking about high aoe damage profiles (damage that circurvents their recived accuracy). Most of the infantry damage of the T34 comes from its machineguns. The T70 aoe its small and its more geared up for model sniping. Using a Zis barrage against them its almost suicidal, and the Su76 barrage has abysmal reload time and its in one of the worst units of the roster (The Su76 gun can't traverse, meaning the vehicle has to align perfectly against the center of enemy vehicles). Soviets can only rely on the Katyusha's alpha strike.

In terms of supression, obers laugh at maxims and can death loop them with ease. The M5 quad its too nimble against at fire. The only supression that works against them is the one coming from planes.
24 Jun 2020, 17:12 PM

Well, soviets lack high explosive damage on their base roster.
By high explosive I'm talking about high aoe damage profiles (damage that circurvents their recived accuracy). Most of the infantry damage of the T34 comes from its machineguns. The T70 aoe its small and its more geared up for model sniping. Using a Zis barrage against them its almost suicidal, and the Su76 barrage has abysmal reload time and its in one of the worst units of the roster (The Su76 gun can't traverse, meaning the vehicle has to align perfectly against the center of enemy vehicles). Soviets can only rely on the Katyusha's alpha strike.

In terms of supression, obers laugh at maxims and can death loop them with ease. The M5 quad its too nimble against at fire. The only supression that works against them is the one coming from planes.

Mines/demo charge: am i a joke to you?
24 Jun 2020, 18:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2020, 05:33 AMAradan
Only wehicles and luck mines/demos. Cons/penals dont have chance.
And taking doc for countering non doc units is a sign of weak mechanics of SU.

Soviet doesn't require a doctrine to fight obers, it's simply easier to do so. If a player is always struggling against a unit personally as the OP is, it makes sense to offer a doctrinal option.

Rus have lots of tools, it's just finding the right one for the player at this point.
24 Jun 2020, 19:16 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Mines/demo charge: am i a joke to you?

Demos are situational but good.

Mines have a 2 model dmg cap.
24 Jun 2020, 20:15 PM

Demos are situational but good.

Mines have a 2 model dmg cap.

mp bleed and map control for 30 mun seems pretty good to me
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #