Login

russian armor

Matchmaking

23 May 2020, 05:53 AM

Is somneone going to address how bad matchmaking is now? I've constantly been getting randoms that are well above 500 when the enemy team is ranked top 150 almost everytime. Id rather sit in lobby and wait 20 minutes then lose every game because of this.
23 May 2020, 09:15 AM

Don't play RT?
There is and will be no other solution.
23 May 2020, 13:29 PM

It's a pretty much dead game. Most people play vs AI and the ones that do play online are long gone. I myself play automatch less and less. Since I like teamgames because of the asymmetry, I seldom get good games in 3v3 mode. You'll either steamroll the enemy team or you'll get teammates that are "super casual" players. No in-between. You would need a prearranged team but in Europe, it's hard to find. And last but not least, the network problems (at least for me). If I get into a game where there is one outside-of-Europe player, welcome 4000 ms ping (4 sec delay in commands)
23 May 2020, 13:31 PM

Is somneone going to address how bad matchmaking is now? I've constantly been getting randoms that are well above 500 when the enemy team is ranked top 150 almost everytime. Id rather sit in lobby and wait 20 minutes then lose every game because of this.

Playing vs superior player and watching the replay afterwards can actually improve ones game.
I have player against lvl 19 player and number 1 player and it was a good opportunity to learn something.
23 May 2020, 13:34 PM

It's a pretty much dead game. Most people play vs AI and the ones that do play online are long gone.

No idea which game you're talking about here, but judging by these 2 sentences, it certainly isn't CoH2.
Homeworld DoK or Ancestors Legacy perhaps?
23 May 2020, 13:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2020, 13:34 PMKatitof

No idea which game you're talking about here, but judging by these 2 sentences, it certainly isn't CoH2.
Homeworld DoK or Ancestors Legacy perhaps?

Experience mostly. Steam reports 8k people usually playing COH2. I'm from Croatia which is southern Europe and it takes me a long time usually to find a match 3v3+ on random teams. I wouldn't be surprised if half of that 8k is Asian market as I see a lot of Russian/Chinese/Korean players in my games (whenever there is a 3+ sec delay on issuing commands, I know that there are Asian players in the game). For Europe, the game is pretty dead from my point of view.
23 May 2020, 14:05 PM

It's a pretty much dead game.

Yeah I don't know why people say this. The game is 7 years old and still in the Steam top 100 active players list.

The only RTS games with more players are Age of Empires 2 and Total War: Warhammer 2. For non-steam games, there's probably Starcraft 2 also (seems like 2 is a successful number for RTS).

Amazing achievement, to be honest.

EDIT: Okay, you ninja'd me with the Steam player numbers. My question would remain, how can you call it dead when it's the 3rd most popular RTS on the list? And why treat Asian players differently? There are Americans also, I find it possible to get a game in any mode pretty much 24/7, that's an advantage of an international player base. Go play Steel Division, HoI4 or whatever and you'll see what it's like having to log on at a specific time and still wait for 30 minutes.
23 May 2020, 14:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Experience mostly. Steam reports 8k people usually playing COH2. I'm from Croatia which is southern Europe and it takes me a long time usually to find a match 3v3+ on random teams. I wouldn't be surprised if half of that 8k is Asian market as I see a lot of Russian/Chinese/Korean players in my games (whenever there is a 3+ sec delay on issuing commands, I know that there are Asian players in the game). For Europe, the game is pretty dead from my point of view.

I highly doubt that there is a huge community of Asian players online during the European prime time. They are 6-7 hours ahead of time, so when Europe starts playing it is already waaaay beyond midnight in South Korea.

Of course CoH2 does not have a huge community like other games, but for the niche game it is the online community is quite decent. In my experience, most of the auto match games are alright. Obviously with some hick ups every now and then. But this might also be rank dependent.
23 May 2020, 14:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2020, 13:31 PMVipper

Playing vs superior player and watching the replay afterwards can actually improve ones game.
I have player against lvl 19 player and number 1 player and it was a good opportunity to learn something.

thing is, some people are trying to have fun against equally skilled players, not everyone is taking notes and analyzing replays for hours to get better at video games
23 May 2020, 14:33 PM

thing is, some people are trying to have fun against equally skilled players, not everyone is taking notes and analyzing replays for hours to get better at video games

then one should play with friends?
or one should set a game instead of going in the ladder?
or one should release that losing to superior player is not a bad thing?
23 May 2020, 15:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2020, 14:33 PMVipper

then one should play with friends?
or one should set a game instead of going in the ladder?
or one should release that losing to superior player is not a bad thing?

cmon, dont go katitof on me pls
playing a team game without friends doesn't mean one has to enjoy getting rekt against superior players nor it means one wants to analyze replays for hours
23 May 2020, 15:14 PM

cmon, dont go katitof on me pls
playing a team game without friends doesn't mean one has to enjoy getting rekt against superior players nor it means one wants to analyze replays for hours

Well there some issues with the current system.

For instance premade teams play in ladder and before they get 10 games they are unranked and can end playing with any level opponents.

But what I am saying is that if one get upset easily one should probably avoid the team games in ladder. There are other modes and game type one can play.
(PLS avoid comparison with specific users)
23 May 2020, 17:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2020, 14:05 PMEuan

Yeah I don't know why people say this. The game is 7 years old and still in the Steam top 100 active players list.

The only RTS games with more players are Age of Empires 2 and Total War: Warhammer 2. For non-steam games, there's probably Starcraft 2 also (seems like 2 is a successful number for RTS).

Amazing achievement, to be honest.

EDIT: Okay, you ninja'd me with the Steam player numbers. My question would remain, how can you call it dead when it's the 3rd most popular RTS on the list? And why treat Asian players differently? There are Americans also, I find it possible to get a game in any mode pretty much 24/7, that's an advantage of an international player base. Go play Steel Division, HoI4 or whatever and you'll see what it's like having to log on at a specific time and still wait for 30 minutes.

I'm treating them geographically-differently. I have nothing against Asians. I only have against their location with respect to mine and server's. One US/Asian/Australian/South American/South African will set my latency to at least 3 seconds. That's it. That is why I do not like playing with/against them. Purely technical reason. Being top RTS game in a time when RTS games are dying is not really an achievement. COH2 is an amazing and (was) popular game. And of course it's aged well.

And for the record. I play in the evenings and I have noticed that people don't usually care about the time. I'm guessing the playerbase is younger. I've played vs Koreans when it was around 5 AM at them (and Japanese and Australian...).
23 May 2020, 18:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

IIRC 3v3 is the least popular mode.

Go for 4v4 or 2v2.
23 May 2020, 19:00 PM

IIRC 3v3 is the least popular mode.

Go for 4v4 or 2v2.

Unless something changed radically, older stats indicate that all modes are played roughly equally in terms of games played.

I personally find that 3v3 is the best experience in regards to matchmaking. There aren't as many (good) premade teams as in 2v2 that can stomp you, if you get a bad teammate it's usually easier to carry them (compared to 2v2), and generally speaking player behaviour on the higher ranks is better than 4v4 (fewer bugsplats and droppers). There's always going to be rank mismatchs but I also get a lot of well balanced games. And I personally prefer it because generally speaking it has that action packed feeling of teamgames while also leaving more room to play around compared to 4v4 (where maps feel more cramped), which makes it more strategic. And the map pool is way better than 2v2's (at least for an aggressive/flanking player like me).
24 May 2020, 05:10 AM

Unless something changed radically, older stats indicate that all modes are played roughly equally in terms of games played.

I personally find that 3v3 is the best experience in regards to matchmaking. There aren't as many (good) premade teams as in 2v2 that can stomp you, if you get a bad teammate it's usually easier to carry them (compared to 2v2), and generally speaking player behaviour on the higher ranks is better than 4v4 (fewer bugsplats and droppers). There's always going to be rank mismatchs but I also get a lot of well balanced games. And I personally prefer it because generally speaking it has that action packed feeling of teamgames while also leaving more room to play around compared to 4v4 (where maps feel more cramped), which makes it more strategic. And the map pool is way better than 2v2's.

Can you guys look into removing or modifying some of the 6-8 player maps in 3v3? it really pulls the armies thin and makes reinforcement tedious.

Otherwise, the 6 player maps are amazing.
24 May 2020, 08:17 AM

I 100% agree

not sure why people are trying to counter you, except they must be gaslighting
24 May 2020, 08:28 AM

Being top RTS game in a time when RTS games are dying is not really an achievement. COH2 is an amazing and (was) popular game. And of course it's aged well.

Funny thing is that CoH 2 has actually been GROWING in active players, not shrinking. I remember playing when the average online players was in the low 3,000s. The last year and a half has been extremely refreshing.
24 May 2020, 10:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2020, 08:28 AMSerrith

Funny thing is that CoH 2 has actually been GROWING in active players, not shrinking. I remember playing when the average online players was in the low 3,000s. The last year and a half has been extremely refreshing.

Unfortunately I do not share the same freshness. 3v3+ is either total domination over the enemy team or one leaver on your team and another guy that has a brain of a squirrel when it comes to strategies. So you either dominate or get dominated, nothing in between. Talking about matchmaking from Europe with occasional US/Asian (even Aussie) player which ruins the game.
24 May 2020, 13:04 PM

I'm treating them geographically-differently. I have nothing against Asians. I only have against their location with respect to mine and server's. One US/Asian/Australian/South American/South African will set my latency to at least 3 seconds.

Fair enough, sorry to have mentioned it then. To be honest I have seen a lot of anti-Chinese racism in game lately, so I guess I assumed the worst in your comment, apologies for that.

I 100% agree

not sure why people are trying to counter you, except they must be gaslighting

Why do you dismiss any discussion that doesn't match your view as "gaslighting"? That seems a bit silly and extreme, to be honest.

All I was trying to say is that, yes, the situation is not perfect, but there's not much we can do in a world where all RTS combined probably have less players than one rank bracket in Rocket League or Call of Duty. So we should maybe just enjoy the cool game we already have, take it as a learning experience or fun mess-around game if you end up with a bunch of noobs.

Droppers and griefers are a different matter, and we're lucky to be able to report and get bans there (for a long time that wasn't even an option), hopefully CoH3 has a more automated system there
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★